Curing question - smells like ammonia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scatking

Senile Member
Reaction score
Began curing my first indoor grow in sealed glass bottles. Dried the buds for a good 9 days, and they were crispy on the outside. Made sure not to overpack the jars. Burped them for the first time and got a good whiff of what i can best describe as ammonia. :eek: Prior to this, the buds had a very sweet and pungent (good) smell that had my mouth watering:D

Is this a normal part of the process or am I doing something really wrong. After flowering these babies for 12 weeks (WW) I would hate to think I am screwing up now. Any help would be appreciated!

I call the smell chemical like, some buds put off a strong chemical smell. I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Keep burping them, letting them air out for ten minutes or so, each burp. Keep an eye out for any moisture, tho after 9 days drying, I dont imagine you will have any problem with that. Sounds like you grew some awesome WW.
Good luck to you.

Just because the outside of the bud is dry it doesnt mean the inside is dry.

If you take a bud out and it is still spingingly soft, it may need to go into a paperbag to dry a little more before putting back into the jars :)

:peace:

Hicks correct dont want any ammonia type smells when drying/curing imho atleast..get em some fresh air and check em real good for mold

good day

Guess I should have stayed off the boards yesterday. I got another one wrong. I have never smelled "ammonia" smell I guess, just a chemical "resin" smell.

It's not a true ammonia smell - chemical like could be the term as well. I will bag them for a few days and see if that doesn't help. the buds were pretty crispy but I can see how the middle could still be moist. the stems snapped pretty easily, but I am sure a bad smell probably isn't a good thing. thanks for the thoughts, I'll get to work.

I have had aromas varying from sour bologna to cotton candy while curing, but an ammonia or urine odor would concern me. "I" have always heard, and interpreted it as a sign of mold.

ewwwww
"sour balogna"?
Now that sounds down right nasty.
If my hard grown buds smelled like that, I would be tossing them.

After 9 days I hardly think your buds are molding on yur 1st burp,,unless they were in the jar along time before you burped. How long were they in the jar before you burped them?
That smell may be a trick one to explain..I bet its just your bud curing and its fine.

Less than 24 hours cowboy - I checked for mold and didn't see anything suspicious, but I bagged them just the same. After dealing with that skunky sweet aroma for a couple of months, this really caught me off guard. I am also curing some popcorn buds in a tightly sealed cedar cigar box - that still has the sweet smell so go figure. All part of the learning curve I guess. I do enjoy a good bologna sandwich every once in a while, and would love to get a whiff of that!!

Mold smells distinctly bad. Dont whiff and ponder. You will just know.

You can't go wrong with putting it back into the paper bag.

Inspect each nug carefully...you don't wanna smoke some of that black-mold that makes people sick when they just inhale the fumes (when not smoked!!!)

Good luck..
destroyer

I have to agree with BD. Ya cant miss that nasty Damp Mold smell. :ignore:

Yeah, it's weird how our left-brain second guesses the decision our right-brain has already made

When nitrogen is breaking down, it gives off ammonia. My grass clippings in my compost tumbler smell like that when it's first cooking. If you didn't back off N during flowering, I guess you could still have some excess giving off the gas. Or, it could be a whole different thing. Hard to tell without smelling it myself. Drop by with it and I will give it the special Benny sniff test!:hubba:

How do I post a question concerning my buds on here. Really!! How?

Hey Benny - that is exactly what it smells like! I flushed for a couple of days before i cut, but the nutes I used do have N in the flowering mix. Is this something that I should worry about or will it just pass. I've got plenty to go around - my girls were monsters. I'm sure you'd be pleased with by the test results.:48:

I had some K2 last yr jarred up and it done the same thing. Smelled like ammonia, But not all of it did, it was from the main cola buds that smelled. I did'nt dry them long enough and it soured on me. I put them in paper bags for a few days and re-jarred them but still the same results. But I went ahead and cured them. Tryed it out and darn near cough a lung up. And then it made me a little ill, so I just trashed it. I figured it was'nt any good and did'nt want to take a chance. Hope yours turns out to be ok...take care..

Latest posts

Back