Damages = Bigger Yeild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBong

Reaction score
Just wondering if this is common knowledge or if it was just a fluke. I have some outdoor plants going right now, one of which was given to me in late August. Now I'm a noob at this and this girl was in rough shape. So I super cropped her and stuck her in the sun with some bloom nutes and hoped for the best. Now one thing I didn't realize, but which makes perfect sense to me now, was that if you super crop and put the plant directly into flowering those spots on the super-cropped branches never heal correctly as it seems they will only go through this healing process in veg. Hey, learning as I go...
More info on this particular plant:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65864

So I had 3 dangling branches and left them as such. Imagine my surprise when I went out this week to check on my girls and this particular plant, specificly the super cropped branches, where huge. Red hairs, tight buds...it looked as if these branches were off of a different plant all together. They are, in fact, the biggest buds in my entire crop. All my plants are the same strain, and relatively close to each other so the conditions are the same for all plants. So...does damage to a plant actually help it to produce bigger buds? Because it sure seems like it. I'm tempted to go put cuts in all my plants now. Opinion? Anyone have any knowlegde on this?

NO. Damaging your plant does not result in larger yields. Super cropping is not damaging the plant, it is a training technique. And no matter how much you believe that your plants are identical, there are always different things in play. Branches that are horizontal will get more sunlight that branches that are vertical. That is the purpose of supercropping, lst, scrog. Damaged branches never totally heal, regardless of whether you are in veg or flowering. I will say this again just for good measure. Stress or damage to your plants does not improve yield.

Something made these 3 branches stand out from the others. It wasn't the plant because the rest of it looked the same, just like all my others. They are not only the same strain but actual clones. I'm just wondering why they were so much different. There has to be a science behind it. I'm not looking to go hack up my plants, you missed the point. Just looking for a logical reason is all, and was wondering if anyone had some insight.

The plants energy goes toward repairing the damage instead of growth/buddage/thc. You may get bigger buds because of the surge of energy going to that area, but it degrades, from the rest of the plant.The buds will not be has big, less thc. I try not to stress my plants at all except when I lollypop them.

Wait...bigger or not as big...But they were bigger...I'm hoping for someone with some actual knowledge on the subject.

The plant was putting all it's energy into healing the area but those branchs were using the energy to grow instead of healing the wounds

ozzydiodude said:
The plant was putting all it's energy into healing the area but those branchs were using the energy to grow instead of healing the wounds

So in your opinion damage may effect yield? Again, not trying to go out and destroy my plants. But if this is the case I will be trying it out on a plant or 2 next season or indoors.

damage always effects yield. in most cases it hampers growth not improves it.

BeerBong said:
Wait...bigger or not as big...But they were bigger...I'm hoping for someone with some actual knowledge on the subject.

You have had people with lots of actual knowledge already speak up on your theory. It is not a new theory.

Rosebud said:
You have had people with lots of actual knowledge already speak up on your theory. It is not a new theory.

It's new to me. That's why I was asking. I said I was a noob.:eek:

ozzydiodude said:
damage always effects yield. in most cases it hampers growth not improves it.

Roger that. Am I crazy or have I read somewhere some people drive a nail into the stalks before harvest? Must be based on the same theory. Shocking a plant into producing bigger buds. Meh...I'll just let Mother Nature do her thing.

BeerBong said:
It's new to me. That's why I was asking. I said I was a noob.:eek:

Ok, sorry if i was snarky, please forgive me. THG and OZZY and the Duck are very knowledgeable and you were lucky they got to you so quickly. Of course, how would you know that.
Enjoy your time with us and fasten your seat belt for all the stuff you can learn here. WelcomeBB.

:headbang2:
Rosebud said:
Ok, sorry if i was snarky, please forgive me. THG and OZZY and the Duck are very knowledgeable and you were lucky they got to you so quickly. Of course, how would you know that.
Enjoy your time with us and fasten your seat belt for all the stuff you can learn here. WelcomeBB.

:bong2:

that is a old bad idea the nailing a stalk blocks nute and water up take, causing the plant to change colors some. It just hurts the plant.

The idea comes from the oxician(sp?) indians in mexico. They pinched the growwth tips til a red sap appears then cut the stalk at ground level in a x pattern inserting a twig in both way forming a x. It was suppose to cause red growth.

I guess I got lucky with those 3 branches. I suppose the potential for them just falling off is greater then what happened in my case. Still...it's the only part of my harvest that is drying, currently. Well...quick dryed and rolled rather... Magic branches, woot!

I would like to say that in veg u can and should bend/pinch/break/stress some branches and get some very quick results but I stress(no pun intended) not stressing in late flower

BeerBong said:
Roger that. Am I crazy or have I read somewhere some people drive a nail into the stalks before harvest? Must be based on the same theory. Shocking a plant into producing bigger buds. Meh...I'll just let Mother Nature do her thing.

The nail thing is from like the 70s and it doesn't work. That old wives tale was disproved many many year ago.

Trust us that damaging your plant does not increase yield. Keep in mind however, that advanced training techniques (supercropping, lst, scrog) are not considered damaging the plant. It does stress the plant to a certain degree, which is the reason that we do not do things like supercropping once you are a few weeks into flowering. Stress can and does affect yield and can also contribute to a plant hermying.

right just as THG said. i dont do any LST or supercropping in flower, never never... however ill say i do abuse them quite alot in veg, gently i must add, no real harm, but they do look like they went through a meat grinder a few times all gnarled and twisted, gotta love a good training, my current plant is taking up 3 times the space as any of my previous grows just because of the high amount of bondage i put her through in veg, lots and lots and lots of tops above my screen, last i counted a few weeks ago i had like 58 tops reaching above my screen, so if done properly and gently to a degree, lst, super cropping, bending, etc. can be good in the end and improve the amount harvested but only because your spreading out the canopy so everythings even, everything gets big so not many little popcorn buds just alot of fat kolas. hope this helps

Latest posts

Back