Death by cannabis verdict is a first.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippyInEngland

Smoke Free Zone.
Reaction score
January 20, 2004

Lee Maisey, 36, who smoked half a dozen “joints” a day, was found dead on the living room floor of his home in Summerhill, Pembrokeshire, after complaining of a headache.
Michael Howells, the Pembrokeshire Coroner, recorded the cause of death as cannabis poisoning, although the verdict recorded was death by misadventure because Mr Maisey had died while taking part in an illegal activity.
Philip Guy, a lecturer in addictions at the University of Hull, said that “cannabis has changed. Nowadays it is a lot stronger than it used to be. It is not the nice hippy drug it once was. It is a distinct possibility that someone could die from extreme toxicity.” Dr Guy said death was more likely if the drug had been eaten instead of smoked. “If you eat a large amount of it it can be deadly.”

Source :- hXXp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article999100.ece

01 February 2004

On 20 January 2004 the newspaper Daily Telegraph reported that cannabis was blamed as cause of death of a 36 year old British man. However, a review of the toxicological data and autopsy report by a Swiss expert revealed that there is no reason to assume that the sudden death of Lee Maisey in August 2003 was due to cannabis.
Mr Maisey smoked six cannabis cigarettes a day for 11 years, which was reported in some newspapers to be "excessive". He had complained of a headache on 22 August last year and was found dead at his home next morning. Michael Howells, the local coroner, who led the investigation of the death cause, said Mr Maisey was free from disease and had not drunk alcohol for at least 48 hours. "High levels of cannabinoids" had been found in his blood. The report led to new warnings about the dangers of the drug. Dr. John Henry, a professor of toxicology at Imperial College, London, said: "I have not seen anything like this before. It corrects the argument that cannabis cannot kill anybody."
The Federal Health Ministry of Switzerland asked Dr. Rudolf Brenneisen, a professor at the department for clinical research at the University of Bern, to review the data of this case. Dr. Brenneisen said that the data of the toxicological analysis and collected by autopsy were "scanty and not conclusive" and that the conclusion death by cannabis intoxication was "not legitimate".
According to the toxicological analysis of a British laboratory (Forensic Alliance) Mr Maisey's blood contained 130 nanograms per milliliter (ng/ml) of the THC metabolite THC-COOH. THC could not be detected due to analytical problems. Dr. Franjo Grotenhermen of the nova-Institute in Cologne said: "A concentration of 130 ng/ml THC-COOH in blood is a moderate concentration, which may be observed some hours after the use of one or two joints. Heavy regular use of cannabis easily results in THC-COOH concentrations of above 500 ng/ml. Many people use much more cannabis than Mr Maisey did, without any negative consequences."

Source :- hXXp://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=166

I know the story is old, but still interesting to see how quick some tabloids are to condemn Cannabis.

Trust nothing you read until you cross reference it ;)

:peace:

the poor guy prob had a stroke..and hey if weed kills atleast I would die happy..

2Dog said:
the poor guy prob had a stroke..and hey if weed kills atleast I would die happy..

:yeahthat:

LOL...ditto, 2dog...

Thanks Hippy, even if it is old, it does go to show.....

"lets blame the pot.....and go have a ciggarett out back" said the Coroner.

"It is a distinct possibility that someone could die from extreme toxicity"

that's the dumbest thing i ever heard. you can, in fact, die from extreme toxicity of water too....

if you do anything in excess it will kill you. too much water, to many vitamins, too much cigarette smoking, too much walking....everything must be done in moderation.

A cannabis "overdose" will simply cause the overdosee to feel sleepy (and likely with enjoyable vivid thoughts) as he/she doses off to sleep.

Cannabis is a GOD-given elixir for a variety of ailments:

www.rxmarijuana.com

Someone told me a long time ago you would have to smoke 23 pounds in 20 minutes to OD on marijuana. As kids we use to joke how we would do that. Pack a 55gal drum attached to some sort of hose and put a torch to it but you would still not get the full 23 pounds. Has anyone heard this?

its around there i rememeber hearing about that in a class when they busted me high in, highschool. you can't smoke that much cuz your brain will just pass out lol.

I remember a news story from way back; two kids in South America (somewhere) sat down in a park with a carton of cigarettes to see who could smoke the most, one kid had to quit after his 50th chained smoke. The other feeling good about his "skills" continued on to something like 110 at which point he up and died. Now, point being, anything in uber excess will most likely kill you, even the almighty Green would, If you could stomach that much.

Someone told me a long time ago you would have to smoke 23 pounds in 20 minutes to OD on marijuana. As kids we use to joke how we would do that. Pack a 55gal drum attached to some sort of hose and put a torch to it but you would still not get the full 23 pounds. Has anyone heard this?

That would be splitting hairs...death from mj smoke inhalation/suffocation.

So let me see if I got this right,

I see a field of White/Widow all in bud, trichs near to blinding me in the sun, and there are a bunch of wood nymphs running around naked in the field. If I understand this right, then rubbing them up for the resins, and exposing myself to all that extra goodness will be flirting with death ?

THEN LET IT BE MY SWAN SONG :rofl:

smoke in peace
KK :cool:

:holysheep: They could'nt possibly call that suicide? Could they??:confused:

The comment about the tabloids jumping on it was entirely beside the point! The real shame and outrage wasn't the reporting but the way the government from the coroner up to the academic "experts" blamed the pot smoking for his death. If they hadn't said it then even the tabloids would have hadnothing ot report.

By the way you know what an "expert" really is don't you? has been dried up drip under pressure.

Good smoking.

Latest posts

Back