Delaying the rooting of a cut clone EXPERIMENT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tater

Diamonds on the inside
Reaction score
I took six clones yesterday and immediately put them in a ziplock bag with a couple spritz's of tap water with just a pinch of epsom salts in it. I then tossed them in the crisper in my fridge. At week one I'm going to take two cuttings and try to root them. At week two (if they survive) I'm going to take two more and try to root them. And the same at week 3. I've seen questions about keeping live clones alive but outside of their media and I'm going to see how well this method really does work.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "crisper" ?

RunBy, the crisper is where you keep the fruits and veggies i 'think'.
but i think im a good guesser.
did you look in your fridge?

Tater, thanks for searching for awnsers when others ask questions.
that makes you, The Man!!
unless you prefer to be a tater....
Good Luck!

kool beans tater.. :p
what purpose does the epsoms serve?..

Tater said:
I took six clones yesterday and immediately put them in a ziplock bag with a couple spritz's of tap water with just a pinch of epsom salts in it. I then tossed them in the crisper in my fridge. At week one I'm going to take two cuttings and try to root them. At week two (if they survive) I'm going to take two more and try to root them. And the same at week 3. I've seen questions about keeping live clones alive but outside of their media and I'm going to see how well this method really does work.

From past experience with observing my own and others cloning procedures, I've discovered one common after-effect of clone stress; a large percentage of plants that were known females turning to hermies.

With MJ, stress most often results in plants turning to hermaphrodites.

I hope this isn't the case with your experiment, but don't be too upset if that is what happens.

Good luck to you!!!!

Stoney.

Hick, it's magnesium. From the research I've done and the reading on the forums I was under the impression that magnesium was good for clones and helped to stop yellowing. Either way there isn't enough in there to hurt the plants. Thanks for the heads up potus. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now we play the waiting game.

Well its 8 days later and I'm going to put 2 clones into rockwool tonight and then into the humidity tub. All the clones still look vibrant and green with no signs of yellowing or stress. The look almost identical to how they went in, if my stupid camera would charge I would post some picks. I'll start making updates every couple days now.

I have kept cut clones for a week just as you have described and rooted them with no problem. I have never tried to go out any longer than that, however. Will be watching to see how they do.

I have two left, I thought I took six but I must have been... well you know... high lol.

Oh well, I will try one more in a week and then the last one a week or so after that. I apologize for the lack of pictures, my camera won't charge so I will borrow friends and get some pics up asap.

Ok another update still no pics I know it sucks but it sucks even harder that my battery in my camera crapped out and I need a new one so to bad so sad :D

The clones have been in the tub for 6 days now and all is well they look healthy as can be.

I'm going to leave the other clones in the fridge for another couple weeks as they still look fine. Going to see how far I can push this.

I know I know I'm lame still no pictures, I'll buy a battery soon I promise just busy and all heck lately. Figured you might be happy to know both clones have now rooted and are happy as can be. The other two are still in the fridge I am going to wait till sunday and put one more in my cloning tub. The last one I'm going to try to keep for 6 weeks in the fridge before I root it.

well took them to 6 weeks threw them in the tub and both have now sprouted legs. I wonder how long you could really keep one in the crisper for and still successfully root it.

thats pretty interesting. i wouldn't have thought you could keep one that long. good job

Thanks Tater for this Thread.... I will keep a eye out for more updates.. Thanks again buddy.

Latest posts

Back