Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiegy2k

Reaction score
'sup ppl..

Been a while since i've posted on here but finally got myself 'ready to go' well in that I have a place and the majority of the equipment but my dilemma is with the lighting..

Set up is a 4x4ft (6 high) tent, 10x6.5L pots, growing from cuttings (into soil), a 250cfm fan with carb filter for extraction, and all the other odds and sods.

Whilst im slightly new to all this, I did do a few small grows back in the day but now hoping to get some better quality, tight buds.

I've gone and got a 600w grolux (which im gonna exchange for a 600w phillips son-t) and also splashed out on a 'adjust a wing shade' reflector. Now from what I gather 1 of the best ways to get dense tight buds is to get the light source as close as poss to the canopy without harming them. I know theirs lots of other factors but im just dealing with this one at the moment as I think it's pretty important.

So do I stick with what i've got and try to get the 600w as close to the canopy as poss? Was thinking of using a 6" osc fan blowing at the bulb to allow it to go a bit lower - plus the outside room temp will be low coming in to winter (and its a disused room so no heating) and while i'll just use the tents inbuilt vents im sure I won't have temp probs but im just wondering how low this set up will get me to the top of the canopy. :confused:

The alternative which I don't have a problem doing (and to get better watts psf) is a 1000w in a air cooled hood or a cool tube. I've heard about heat problems but i've heard people do this without a problem in similar sized tents. I've also read many articles with pros and cons to both and im just wondering is it worth the hassle and extra cost - which I don't mind doing if it gives me much tighter nugs? If I was to go down this route (leaning towards cooled hood for better light spread) im thinking of having the cold air being pulled from the outside room and blowing on to the bulb - is there any reason why most people suck the air out away from the grow room? obviously my theory is flawed! Just 1 of the problems with the hooded lights is it's not sealed so you can get smells leaking out which I don't want - thus the carbon filter. I just thought if I can get away without using the glass then surely this way doubles up as a air intake as well? Im worried my temps might a bit low at night (i live in the UK) so im sure the 1k light will add some much needed heat??

Hopefully some of you more seasoned pro's could offer some of your wisdom on this matter.

Sorry for going on, just thought i'd explain as best I can.

Any suggestions as always are appreciated - for what it's worth the shop guy reckons against the 1000w but thats only because he didn't sell them. I know 600's are more efficient but im really not fussed about running costs or even yield for that matter. Oh and the 10 pot is the wilma drip system so placing the 2 rows of 5 in the middle and then hope to sog/train them outwards to fill the 30cm gap either side before letting them flower upwards.

Any other questions - fire away.

Latest posts

Back