Discovered some mold, what to do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afrikaaner

Reaction score
I found mold on a few branches of my plants. I cut them off immediately. What should I do now, do you think? I have probably about 3+ weeks left, and am on week 11.5. Should I cut them down to prevent any further loss, or wait a few days and see if any more crops up?

hmm, ok. i was gone for 3 days this weekend, which is when i think this outbreak got out of control. i'm pretty upset about this whole grow now. i was first pissed because i was sold clones that were supposed to be burmese kush, and stopped feeding at 6 weeks (buku is an 8 week plant), only to have week 7.5 come with 100% clear trichomes. so i obviously was misled on the strain, but this caused the leaves to yellow nicely, during the middle of its flowering cycle. this also lead to dead leaves buried inside the colas, which it looks like the mold has been attacking first, then spreading to healthy leaves. so i'm pissed because i rationed my remaining bud so i would finish smoking it around harvest time. instead, i have nothing now. then i was pissed because i mistakenly starved my ladies during their prime growing period. now i'm pissed because that misinformation has lead to what i'm estimating amounts to over an ounce of ruined bud. bah!

i threw the salvaged bud into the oven at 150 degrees to dry it extra fast since I'm sure the mold isn't about to stop its assault. i'll leave it in there for a few hours and then probably transfer it to a paper bag where it will hopefully be dry enough to not let the mold spread.

That sucks, i grew Buku and loved it, it was very fast finisher, 55-60 days max and a small compact plant, how do yours look.

I don't know if it will work for your mold but I had powdery mildew on my plants that will finish in a couple weeks. I put together a mixture of hydrogen peroxide(5ml), 2%milk(10ml) into about 1 pint(473ml) of water in a spray bottle. I sprayed all over the plants but tried to not spray the buds directly(although they got wet). I sprayed everything until it was wet but not soaked or dripping hard. I did this during the dark period and made sure the exaust fan was running and an oscillating fan was running. Within 48hrs there was no mildew to be found anywhere. Doing this is a risk to the buds developing bud rot but if you have mold already it doesn't matter in my opinion.

As I said before, I don't know if it will work for mold but it wiped out the powdery mildew :)

hmm, diluted peroxide is an interesting idea. anyone know if that will hurt the plant?

Afrikaaner said:
hmm, diluted peroxide is an interesting idea. anyone know if that will hurt the plant?

Nope-dont know nuthin about no peeroxide and Milk-but I trust that guy and if he told me that-I would try it.
But I do know you should get more ventilation goin and try to get Humidity down some-mold loves humidity.

smoke :48: one

ODF

yeah, turned my fan up to max and put another fan just blowing the air around to hopefully keep things drier, but the air around here right now is very high humidity :(

Afrikaaner said:
yeah, turned my fan up to max and put another fan just blowing the air around to hopefully keep things drier, but the air around here right now is very high humidity :(

That should help.
Keep it green!!!

:48:

ODF

If you continue to have mold issues and higher humidity, you may have to invest in a dehumidifier. The small ones aren't too expensive and will help emmensely :)

little controversy about the fan advice---the fan will be blowing mold spores throughout the grow---best advice i saw was the mixture of peroxide---but---remember it is water based and will dry out quicker if sprayed at the beginning of the lights on cycle---i would want that drying asap with the assistance of the lights---has it ever even been determined if you are talking about powdery mildew or bud rot---if you got pm---and a few weeks left in flower---imo i would keep the watering to a minimum after i changed the ph in the soil to be more acidic---stop using the fan cause it is not changing the rh in the room---be vigilant on removing and/or spraying the leaves with pm---if you got the rot---cut it out and run a dehumidifier if you can

they sell some good stuff at walmart or any decent "country" store that is for mold and other stuff. ORTHO brand if i remember.... its sulfur and some other tasties. soak em and wipe clean. i used it along with burning some sulfur pellets during dark time and it cleaned it up. the good thing about vaporizing the sulfur is it gets any spores that are hiding in your box. theres a thread on here about makign a diy burner for chizzeap :bong:

Buddy no offense is intended, but if it says ORTHO on it you can be sure it is poison. Very few companies in the world have dumped the level of poisons and chemicals in our environment even close to Ortho.

If something is not clearly marked as being for use on vegetables and edible plants - don't touch it! And even then, if it says Ortho - run away!

anaujiram_Es said:
they sell some good stuff at walmart or any decent "country" store that is for mold and other stuff. ORTHO brand if i remember.... its sulfur and some other tasties. soak em and wipe clean. i used it along with burning some sulfur pellets during dark time and it cleaned it up. the good thing about vaporizing the sulfur is it gets any spores that are hiding in your box. theres a thread on here about makign a diy burner for chizzeap :bong:

cant remember the name but i do remember it was next day harvest safe lol. smells like citrus and worked wonders. buds wer clean and smoked just like normal

So sorry about my not replying to you guys, I put that fan in there on max to help circulate the air, and that seems to have done the trick along with turning the vent fan up to max as well. All the wispy bits of mold inside the colas has long since disappeared and the rest of the plant other than the two colas which were overtaken are doing very very well (looks like they're happier than before).

I salvaged probably about an ounce from those colas which i cut down (i dried them in the oven around 150 degrees to prevent the mold from having a chance to infect what I saved), and since they still taste kind of meh, I'm probably gonna make some kickass brownies from them. Thanks for all your input guys!

good to hear that ^
Maybe you could make some Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddddddddddggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeee!!!!!

lol

:48:

ODF

Latest posts

Back