Do you like bass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a few years ago i had 4 12in JL W3 in a custom probox with 2 2000 watt DHL amps and all the goodies. it was in the bed of a 03 chevy avalanche. it was nice at the time but now i wouldn't spend my money on it.

I really don't see the point in blaring music like that. I keep my stereo to where if you're not within 5 feet of the car you don't even know it's on. Unless I'm at the beach or somethin....

i installed high end audio for a custom shop for several years and i have to say i'm not a huge fan of the W7's. it's nice to be able to replace the cone, or the coil or whatever goes on it seperatly because the amount of abuse they are put through separate parts will go. they are more of a spl sub than a sq sub they do struggle with some tighter, punchier bass especially in a vented box(which is what they optimally should be put in). for rap they are incredible as the bass is not as complex to reproduce but they get "muddy" with some other types of music. before you buy a w7 take a few of your favorite cd's and listen to them through the sub. if it sounds good to you buy it, because that's all that really matters, do you like it.
I currently run focal components 6.5 all the way around running off a mcintosh 4 channel. two kicker solo x's each with their own pheonix gold 1000.1 class D mono amp. i use a rockford 3sixty.2 and LOVE it! i had to upgrade my alternator amongst other things just to support it.
Lastly, NEVER PAY RETAIL PRICES! The amount of mark up on car audio equipment runs from 20% all the way up to 70%. Most mom and pop custom shops are willing to negotiate if you are making several purchases at the same time so keep that in mind and have fun.

I do listen to rap mike and only rap thats why I do like the w7. Them focals i been hearing great reviews on but never had a chance to really hear them. How are they compared to the jl surrond, infinity kappas, or boston.

The focals are awesome but very very bright.By bright i mean when the cymbals crash the speakers make you feel like you need to blink. i personally like this especially when complimented by a good subwoofer. alone they have have little to no mid-low range, so without a sub they aren't that good, they are designed to be used in a complete system. but also realize the utopia line(they're top line, which i don't have) run about $2500+. JL makes a great set of components and they have a really nice full range sound and when tuned right with a sub are great. I'm not a big fan of the kappas but the kappa perfects used to be decent but i haven't heard a set of these in a while. Boston used to make they're speakers with a paper cone, believe it or not paper reproduces sound more accurately than any polymer but their life span is going to be shorter. Ever since boston started mass producing speakers i believe their quality has gone down and i believe they now use a polymer. Again this is all personal experience, and my opinion on sound. The amp you use also makes a huge difference and the way it has been tuned. signal to noise ratio is imo the most important, followed by an adequate eq. distortion and under powering speakers lead to blown speakers. If you can, go somewhere that has a good sound board and listen to your music on their board, don't buy what someone else tells you sounds good, buy what you think sounds good. Pioneer makes a high end component system made of kevlar and for the price they are awesome.(other than those i don't like pioneer mid-range speakers) A company called rainbow also makes an incredible product. check out the company's websites and then look for a local authorized dealer to figure out where you can listen to them. Have fun. i'd be happy to answer any other questions if i know the answer, this is one of my favorite hobbies.

the jl components are awesome in my opinion. when my subs went i was surprise at the mid bass them things put out. This is one of my favorite hobbies, just ain't got the money to go into comps.

Neo drives a geo said:
I really don't see the point in blaring music like that. I keep my stereo to where if you're not within 5 feet of the car you don't even know it's on. Unless I'm at the beach or somethin....

To create music the way it's supposed to sound you have to have subs.None of my systems had anything to do with "bumping"(though they would bump).If your running 200 watts (what most aftermarket head units run) through your "regular speakers" then you'll need at least 400 watts to some subs to equal out the sound.If you don't have any subs then your not hearing it like the artists intended.No matter what you listen to.

Neo drives a geo said:
If the artist intends to blow my eardrums out, I'll pass thank you. :p

That doesnt have to be what its about, what I think time4tokin is saying is without a sub to recreate the low frequency's they cant be heard, they dont have to be turned up so high as to "blow your eardrums out"

If your looking for top end components look at http://www.cdtaudio.com/

And I dont know what there new stuff sounds like but the old E12A was hard to beat for sound quality.
http://www.elementaldesigns.com/

cadlakmike1 said:
i installed high end audio for a custom shop for several years and i have to say i'm not a huge fan of the W7's. it's nice to be able to replace the cone, or the coil or whatever goes on it seperatly because the amount of abuse they are put through separate parts will go. they are more of a spl sub than a sq sub they do struggle with some tighter, punchier bass especially in a vented box(which is what they optimally should be put in). for rap they are incredible as the bass is not as complex to reproduce but they get "muddy" with some other types of music. before you buy a w7 take a few of your favorite cd's and listen to them through the sub. if it sounds good to you buy it, because that's all that really matters, do you like it.
I currently run focal components 6.5 all the way around running off a mcintosh 4 channel. two kicker solo x's each with their own pheonix gold 1000.1 class D mono amp. i use a rockford 3sixty.2 and LOVE it! i had to upgrade my alternator amongst other things just to support it.
Lastly, NEVER PAY RETAIL PRICES! The amount of mark up on car audio equipment runs from 20% all the way up to 70%. Most mom and pop custom shops are willing to negotiate if you are making several purchases at the same time so keep that in mind and have fun.

the FIBTL are the best out right now in my opinion

Damn QUAKING! That dude had 4! 12s!
My friend has a 15. Its not bad. I love the bass!

I have got 4 12 kenwood excelon in a 2008 scion xb, Kenwood flip up face 6.5components and 2 1600 class d amps and 2 200 watt amps on the highs. 5 farad digital capacitor. I hit right around 178. decs. Now don't get me wrong they are nice to listen to but you can't blast any system all the time you got to hace respect for the people around you. Both of my class d amps are on toggles switches, so that if it's late or kids in the car I can turn all four off or just run two.. I have seen alot of kids get pulled over and in my state if you get pulled over for it they can actully confiscate your subs and you don't get them back. Also they have banned certain sizes subs 15".

the FI BTL is pretty impressive. If i remember correctly they make an 18" sub that takes something like 4000w rms! i'm really more into sq over spl but for competition purposes they are amazing.
The main purpose of a sub is to recreate the sound range from 120hz down to around 40hz. while they will recreate a wider range of sound this is where most subs are most effective. smaller coned speakers such as mid range speakers struggle with this range, especially when underpowered. mid-range speakers are much more likely to distort when trying to reproduce these frequencies. sub-woofers don't have to be boom boom shake the room loud. any bose or harmon kardon stereo comes with a sub. all having a sub means is you have a driver dedicated to reproducing lower frequencies.
jibba069, 178 db is absolutely amazing! the world record is only 180.5 db so i would highly recommend looking into some of your local competitions. That's really the only place i turn my system up. Db drags are a lot of fun and a cool place to meet people and find some really amazing deals. i agree with you on not bumping everywhere you go, my system blows apart the automatic closing mechanism on my trunk, so i only really turn it up at a competition. Last thing i need is my trunk flying open on the highway! plus it sets off car alarms and i'm really not trying to piss my neighbors off considering some of my other hobbies so i never turn it up anywhere near my house.

o K U S H o said:
Damn QUAKING! That dude had 4! 12s!
My friend has a 15. Its not bad. I love the bass!
if your talking about the vid, he has got 4 18s

yeah i agree there is to much bass sometimes in peoples whip. I'm trying to hear the music not shake my car apart.

yeah but it's nice to have it there in reserve. every once in a while, one of your favorite songs come on and it's nice to crank your music. the thing that really irritates me is when someone puts all there focus on subs and never replaces the rest of their speakers, so then they have a ton of bass and the rest sounds like crap.

Latest posts

Back