Do you mist/spray your newborn sprouts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffon

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, who mists/sprays the new leaves on their newborn sprouts? I always keep the top of the soil moist, and I was avoiding spraying the new leaves. What do you guys/gals do? And what type of spray combos do you choose for your plants? What I mean is, do you spray the tops and bottoms, the bottoms only, and at what age do you start spraying your bottoms/tops?

I never spray seedlings, only spray clones when rooting. I see no reason to spray seedlings if the soil stays moist. Maybe if your RH is to low like under 40% then maybe spray. But if you do spray then make sure your waters PH is adjusted...take care..

adjusted to what? For rain water? I am using distilled water, that is about 7.

When spraying my clones I adjust it to 6.5...take care..

Personally, I never mist my seedlings, and they always seem to do well.

Reactions: D3
I never mist clones or young seedlings as it can invite mold and they gain nothing by it.

If low humidity is a problem just mist the insides of a propagator.

Griffon said:
adjusted to what? For rain water? I am using distilled water, that is about 7.

Don't bet your crop on it, Grif. I'd check just for my own tranquility.

I've read that over-misting will cause slow root setting--the plants don't need water because you're giving it to them through the leaves. But, honestly, IDK.

Interesting Pencil, I sprayed my rooting clones occasionally, but when looked at in that light I guess spraying may hinder transpiration, which encourages root growth.....I think I'll stop spraying the ones I got going now and see if theres a diff.

Friend-of-a-friend said:
Interesting Pencil, I sprayed my rooting clones occasionally, but when looked at in that light I guess spraying may hinder transpiration, which encourages root growth.....I think I'll stop spraying the ones I got going now and see if theres a diff.

That's exactly what I thought when I read that, too. Ive BEEN misting but I think I'll stop, now. My RH is 50...so Im sure they dont NEED the extra. Of course, they already have roots. For cloning, I think they need to be in a "tent" or misted until they GET some roots.

Man..I learn something new in here every day.

Lass

If you keep the humidity right in the room, you dont to mist.

Latest posts

Back