Does anyone one else use an air stone to bubble tap water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

000StankDank000

Reaction score
I feed my plants Tap water but I leave it open with an air stone for 48 hours before I give it to my Plants. I have not seen any ill effects from this.

I was at the hydro shop looking at RO systems and for the $ is it worth it will I see any gains from having one?

Bubbling your tap water is good in a couple ways. It will remove any chlorine in the water and it will oxygenate the water which is good for the roots of the plant. RO filters are for special situations where your water is pretty bad. If you are on "city" water that has been filtered and treated then you should be fine with just bubbling it. If you have any doubts about your water then you should take a sample and have it tested(not expensive to have it tested) to see what is in it before just buying an RO filter as they are expensive and they waste a lot of water in their filtering process.

Is there a reason that you believe that you may need an RO?

I agree with Hush on all the above. It is beneficial to aerate the water. Even if you are on well water, your water may be good enough for growing, especially if you are growing in soil. I urge everyone to get their water tested--as a plumber and as a grower. We have county extension offices that will test it for free.

I would only get an RO system if you determined that you really needed one. My biggest problem with them is the amount of water they waste when filtering water--it can bypass 4-5 gallons to get 1 gallon of RO water. And they are expensive. If you get an undercounter model and are not handy, you may have to have a plumber install it. And they do take away some of the good stuff also. When you use RO water, you almost always have to add Cal-Mag.

I live in the city my water smells like chemicals. There is a nuclear plant on the lake so the waters treated a lot.

Thought RO was the best

No. Don't get an RO unless you need it. Chemical smell usually mean chlorine. See about having your water tested.

I use ro water all the time. The waste water I rerouted back to my cistern. Many advantages to using ro. I aerate my ro water prior to using it.

I would try watering some plants straight from the tap and compare them to the others that are watered with 24 hour aerated water to see if there is any difference, if i was to bet, i would say that there will be no difference

I bet it will Zem

The seedlings waters straight from tap died .
The ones with air action and let stand 48 hours was fine.
My water has high chlorine

Removal of chlorine is one of the major reasons that we bubble the water, not really to increase aeration to the roots. This only works if you have chlorine in your water. Chloramine takes something to neutralize it as it does not dissolve like chlorine.

The only time I use an air stone is for DWC or bubble cloner. I ph my water to 6.5 when I initially fill my 5 gallon buckets, then I let them sit overnight and then check their ph again. I adjust if needed. I have City water. If I was using well water I would have it checked professionally.

Latest posts

Back