Dumb question of the day! Read it here!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ArtVandolay said:
I know, but I've done everything I can at this point. I do have a lot of airflow through the box. I will just have to grow in the winter from now on. In the meantime, I'm hoping to get something worthwhile from my first crop. And, you're right - they're growing slowly but still starting to look nice.

Thanks!

Thats what i do Art..I cant beat the heat so I shut down in summer...I grow way more then I need in the winter months...and enjoy bud all summer:hubba: ..even when "they"..say its dry...this is your first? the rest get a bit easier..I only have 3 Hrvest so far and have to say i am getting better...or I should say my setup...and my setup is ideal for winter grows..I get in 4-5 Harvest this winter...get yourself a good clone and weed every 8 weeks...Good luck on Grow 2 ;)

KEEP M GREEN:D

4u2sm0ke said:
Thats what i do Art..I cant beat the heat so I shut down in summer...I grow way more then I need in the winter months...and enjoy bud all summer:hubba: ..even when "they"..say its dry...this is your first? the rest get a bit easier..I only have 3 Hrvest so far and have to say i am getting better...or I should say my setup...and my setup is ideal for winter grows..I get in 4-5 Harvest this winter...get yourself a good clone and weed every 8 weeks...Good luck on Grow 2 ;)

KEEP M GREEN:D

Tx for the encouragement. How do you get your mother plant through the summer?

I dont shes flowering out there right now....i start some new beans and get some new clones

I don't know about hermie weed, but as the Hemp Goddess said, back in the day all pot had seeds in it. I remember smoking Columbian/ Columbian Red Bud, Mexican Gold, regular Mexican weed, etc., and it all had seeds. Some of this stuff was very stony, seeds and all.

Hick said:
yup yup yup... it is somewhat dependant on the 'degree' of hermie you have. Some hermies will be prolific, and seed your entire crop with millions of worthless seeds. Another might only produce a few staminate flowers, and you may only find a few seeds in the entire crop.
Regardless, they're ALL BAD ... just some are worse than others for ruining your crop.

i agree some hermies may be more prolific, making loads of seeds, and other not so bad, but i have to dissagree with the bit about them being worthless, and all bad,
how do you think feminised seeds are produced?

if the plants hermphroditism was induced by stress, and the plant is not naturally hermaphroditic, the seeds from this plant crossed by itself will be all female. there will be no indiction of hermaphroditism in the new plants unless they too are stressed.
both the pollen and the ovule received their female (X) sex chromosome from the same female, which had XX, a pair of chromosomes signifying female. (XY signifies the male.) thus when the sperm in the pollen combines with the female ovule the tiny embryo developing in the seed must have XX, and will also be female.

BM :bong1:

bartmanuk said:
...how do you think feminised seeds are produced?

if the plants hermphroditism was induced by stress, and the plant is not naturally hermaphroditic, the seeds from this plant crossed by itself will be all female. there will be no indiction of hermaphroditism in the new plants unless they too are stressed.
both the pollen and the ovule received their female (X) sex chromosome from the same female, which had XX, a pair of chromosomes signifying female. (XY signifies the male.) thus when the sperm in the pollen combines with the female ovule the tiny embryo developing in the seed must have XX, and will also be female.

Well, isn't that interesting! Thanks.

bartmanuk said:
i agree some hermies may be more prolific, making loads of seeds, and other not so bad, but i have to dissagree with the bit about them being worthless, and all bad,
how do you think feminised seeds are produced?

any truth in this? why does everyone hate herms then? I thought the seeds would be 33%male 33%female 33%herm
(thats just my guess, no facts)

canibanol cannonball said:
any truth in this? why does everyone hate herms then? I thought the seeds would be 33%male 33%female 33%herm

If I get herms, I'm going to plant them and see. Don't worry, I won't pollute the planet with them, though! I did always wonder how feminized seeds were produced.

I love this place!

canibanol cannonball said:

yeh man, you can read about it in 'ed rosethals marijuana growers handbook', chapter 28-breeding, or in issue 6 - 2007 of soft secrets, page 58, you can download it here.
http://www.softsecrets.nl/?id=47&title=Issues

BM

bartmanuk said:
yeh man, you can read about it in 'ed rosethals marijuana growers handbook', chapter 28-breeding, or in issue 6 - 2007 of soft secrets, page 58, you can download it here.
http://www.softsecrets.nl/?id=47&title=Issues

BM

"PLEASE"... that is NOT.. how to produce femminised seeds. THAT is in fact, how to promote even more hermie genetics into the gene pool.
Hermies are a growers/breeders bane. They are detrimental to the gene pool, and they produce crap weed.
"Hermies procreate hermies!!!"

Please.. do your research. The information is here, and not difficult to find or understand

Hick said:
"PLEASE"... that is NOT.. how to produce femminised seeds. THAT is in fact, how to promote even more hermie genetics into the gene pool.
Hermies are a growers/breeders bane. They are detrimental to the gene pool, and they produce crap weed.
"Hermies procreate hermies!!!"

Please.. do your research. The information is here, and not difficult to find or understand

pollen from staminate flowers on female plants, IS how feminised seeds are produced, im not saying any staminate flower on a female plant is ok to use, but females that are specially treated to produce staminate flowers, for feminised seeds are.
i like how you think ed rosenthal is wrong in what he says about producing fem seeds.
if you think this is wrong hick, then could you explain how feminised seeds are produced?
i would be very interested in this.

BM

There is always way to lower the temp you just have to be creative. Buy a mini fridge or somthing IDK all know is it is possible to lowerthe temps in your grow room 20 deg you just have to be creative.

How hot is it outside?

bartmanuk said:
pollen from staminate flowers on female plants, IS how feminised seeds are produced, im not saying any staminate flower on a female plant is ok to use, but females that are specially treated to produce staminate flowers, for feminised seeds are.
i like how you think ed rosenthal is wrong in what he says about producing fem seeds.
if you think this is wrong hick, then could you explain how feminised seeds are produced?
i would be very interested in this.

BM

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26311 <---

if the plants hermphroditism was induced by stress, and the plant is not naturally hermaphroditic,
... a "natural" hermie.... :hubba:
.."IMO".. and I believe "most" of the more reputable breeders agree, that a 'stressed' hermie, is not a good candidate for "femminisation".
"Chemically" induced staminate flowers, from a female that did not hermie under stress, is a preferred candidate. And then that pollen should b used to pollinate another "female" clone of the same donor.

I stand by the statement "Hermies procreate hermies"

thc is good for me said:
There is always way to lower the temp you just have to be creative. Buy a mini fridge or somthing IDK all know is it is possible to lowerthe temps in your grow room 20 deg you just have to be creative.

How hot is it outside?

It get as hot as 96 here. I'm just going to grow in the winter from now on. After doing some more reading here, I think if I get a girl that isn't a hermie, I'm going to take 5 -6 (Hicks method) clones, put them straight into 12/12 when rooted, and try some single stem plants. By that time, the weather will be 20 degrees cooler here.

got 2 herms hung up in other room (didnt want it pollute) and it will not cuz its drying time for them... got some buds on it has to cut it before it develop sacks yike! I would try smoke it just only buds, and the rest will go to be hash extracted.. if I was yall I would destory the seeds from the herms and dont mess with light cycle that will help reduce herm genes

Hick said:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26311 <---

... a "natural" hermie.... :hubba:
.."IMO".. and I believe "most" of the more reputable breeders agree, that a 'stressed' hermie, is not a good candidate for "femminisation".
"Chemically" induced staminate flowers, from a female that did not hermie under stress, is a preferred candidate. And then that pollen should b used to pollinate another "female" clone of the same donor.

I stand by the statement "Hermies procreate hermies"

i agree, 'natural' hermies procreate hermies.
chemically inducing female plants, to produce male flowers, is, technically a form of stress, as mentioned by your man massproducer, in the 3rd paragragh of his 1st post.

i read the chromosome stuff in eds book a while back, and it wasnt until last year that i had the opertunity to do a little experimenting. i used a strain that had no tendancies to hermie in the past, it had been grown by a couple of mates, who done a few grows, after taking cuts from original seed plants. i too used one of these cuts.
she only produced 30-40 male flowers, which i picked off and opened to get the pollen, i then put the pollen onto just 1 bud, hoping to get a couple of dozen seeds.
i only ended up with 7 seeds, and every one of them has turned out female, producing weed to the same quality as the original plants, and ive had no hermies from any of them either. i selected the best from them, and i have it as a mother.
i only grow for personal use, so i wouldnt entertain the use of chemicals, like professional breeders can, and my only experiment to date has been a total success on these results so far. if any of the cuts i flower from her ever hermie, then i'll certainly let you know man.
but as it stands, i'll stick with the 'stressing without chemicals' method for my personal experimenting.
i gunna try some normal breeding next tho, as i have some regular Marleys Collie seeds, that i will be keeping a male from, to use in some experimental breeding.

also, thanks for the thread on the sts breeding mate, very interesting read.:)

bartmanuk said:
i agree, 'natural' hermies procreate hermies.
chemically inducing female plants, to produce male flowers, is, technically a form of stress, as mentioned by your man massproducer, in the 3rd paragragh of his 1st post.

i read the chromosome stuff in eds book a while back, and it wasnt until last year that i had the opertunity to do a little experimenting. i used a strain that had no tendancies to hermie in the past, it had been grown by a couple of mates, who done a few grows, after taking cuts from original seed plants. i too used one of these cuts.
she only produced 30-40 male flowers, which i picked off and opened to get the pollen, i then put the pollen onto just 1 bud, hoping to get a couple of dozen seeds.
i only ended up with 7 seeds, and every one of them has turned out female, producing weed to the same quality as the original plants, and ive had no hermies from any of them either. i selected the best from them, and i have it as a mother.
i only grow for personal use, so i wouldnt entertain the use of chemicals, like professional breeders can, and my only experiment to date has been a total success on these results so far. if any of the cuts i flower from her ever hermie, then i'll certainly let you know man.
but as it stands, i'll stick with the 'stressing without chemicals' method for my personal experimenting.
i gunna try some normal breeding next tho, as i have some regular Marleys Collie seeds, that i will be keeping a male from, to use in some experimental breeding.

also, thanks for the thread on the sts breeding mate, very interesting read.:)

Ahhh thanks!! :).. thats just what we need... more hermophradite genes in the pool... :eek:
You're ..(uhumm) "breeding" femminised seeds?.. but have yet to try "normal" breeding?
Kinda' "puttin the cart in front of the donkey".. ain't it?

IMHO, it is the femminization craze, at least partially responsiblr for the suddenly increasing high hermie ratio that seems to be occuring recently.
This same same discussion has taken place on this forum, dozens of times. I have responded to each and every one.
The search feature is your friend..;)

Hick said:
Ahhh thanks!! :).. thats just what we need... more hermophradite genes in the pool... :eek:
You're ..(uhumm) "breeding" femminised seeds?.. but have yet to try "normal" breeding?
Kinda' "puttin the cart in front of the donkey".. ain't it?

IMHO, it is the femminization craze, at least partially responsiblr for the suddenly increasing high hermie ratio that seems to be occuring recently.
This same same discussion has taken place on this forum, dozens of times. I have responded to each and every one.
The search feature is your friend..;)

how can it be more hermaphrodite genes in the pool?
for starters, i have no hermaphrodites from these plants, secondly, i have not used these to breed with any other strains, or given them to anyone else to use.
and FYI, i never said i had yet to try normal breeding, just that i was going to try some breeding with a Marleys Collie father, i have experience from a couple of breeding experiments, produceing some f2's, then i had a go at some of my own f1's.
and even if i hadnt, why would it be cart before the horse? breeding mj for fun, isnt exactly rocket science.
for some reason, you seem to have a problem with me doing some of my own experiments Hick, or is it the fact that the results were good, and you dont like it that my method seems to work. you dont seem to read my posts properly, or you choose to ignore some of what i post, this info is not made up, you can find it in ed rosenthals, marijuana growers handbook, and i seriously doubt you know more than ed rosenthal. also my results speak for themselves, i have no hermies from these plants.

Latest posts

Back