Dumb Question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTR420

Reaction score
I was just wondering, if you grow outside, then your dependent on the sun, which is usually 12/12 or so @ normal places. Can you start a plant outside and do all the veg and flower? or are you only growing outside when you want 2 flower, cuz if you do it all outside wouldnt the light cycle mess up the grow. Just somethin i was thinkn about n i knew u guys could clarify it for me. thanx! sry if thats a stupid question.

when you grow outside you want to start at the correct time of year depending on where you live to start veg and then as time pasts the flower stage will happen when the days shorten. So for me I would put the plants out in June-July so there is plenty of veg time.

..only near the equator are days a consistent 12/12 year round..

alright thnx, i juss didnt no how that worked bcuz wuldnt at night it act as if u wanted them 2 flower, when ur really trying 2 do veg.

mj will only begin to flower once sexually mature. You can start a plant out on a 12/12 light cycle from seed and it will veg until sexually mature.

lordhighlama said:
mj will only begin to flower once sexually mature. You can start a plant out on a 12/12 light cycle from seed and it will veg until sexually mature.

niice thats wat i was looking 4, wouldnt plants b real small then? ive seen some very huge mj plants, i guess they juss let it keep goin?

Dumb Question?

No such thing UTR420 :)

Growing outside is very different to inside.

MJ has an internal sensor that will tell it when the days are getting longer in light or getting shorter in light.

The actual power of a 18hr daylight is insignificant, as the length of 'trigger' light increases, a plant will stay in veg growth, as the 'trigger' light decreases the plant will know its optimum advantage of photosynthesis is waining, this causes the flowering hormones to build to a critical mass over weeks where the plant will put its flowering growth spurt on and sexual plant maturity (Alternating nodes at branch growth will stagger so they are no longer even but 1 is higher than the other opposite side).

This is when the plant goes into its sexual maturity and will show it sex.

Flowering follows.

Some Equatorial varieties only have 1 or 2 hours either side of max and lowering of daylight power, this is enough for them to flower, the plant knows the light is decreasing.

What you do is find your locations max/min light for its year and find your 'plant out' month.

6 weeks after your max light day you will know the sex of your children.

I hope I understood your question correctly or else I have typed a good reply to someone else in the future who hasn't asked the question to this answer :rofl:

:peace:

UTR420 said:
niice thats wat i was looking 4, wouldnt plants b real small then? ive seen some very huge mj plants, i guess they juss let it keep goin?

yes utr, the less veg time you give your plant the smaller the plant will be at the end of its flowering cycle. You can veg a plant for as long as you like and in doing so the plant will continue to grow and become much larger. Once you put your plant into flower on the other hand the clock starts and the countdown begins. So essentially the overall size of your mj plant is determined by the amount of veg.

hope that makes sense. ;)

lordhighlama said:

Not if it is an indica. It will just stop growing as a seedling, hang around for a couple of weeks, and then die. I know, I've tried it. Twice. Lost two grows of Aurora that way and had no idea why until I experimented with the light hours to see what was the minimum required for veg, (for that strain) and it was about 14.5 hours.

Maybe UTR lives in SoCal or SoTex. That far south the day/night cycle doesn't vary much. Best is 13/11 and worst is about 10.5/13.5 - well that's for me, and I am a bit further south . . . check your own daylight times.
With these hours you have to go by strain. Sativas are easiest to deal with; if you start them outside in late March, say, you'll be harvesting in September. You could even leave it a little later because we don't get frost that far south.
But with indicas . . . no. You need to veg them at 16/8 or more, THEN when they're big enough you can move them outside and even if it is 13/11 (mid summer) they will still start flowering. But they just don't work without a grow room to start them off well.

leafminer said:
Not if it is an indica. It will just stop growing as a seedling, hang around for a couple of weeks, and then die. I know, I've tried it. Twice.

interesting info lm...

so if an indica dominant strain cannot grow 12/12 from seed and survive, what is the difference that allows a sat dominant plant to veg on the 12/12 cycle when the indica wont?

:holysheep:

Not if it is an indica. It will just stop growing as a seedling, hang around for a couple of weeks, and then die. I know, I've tried it. Twice. Lost two grows of Aurora that way and had no idea why until I experimented with the light hours to see what was the minimum required for veg, (for that strain) and it was about 14.5 hours.....But with indicas . . . no. You need to veg them at 16/8 or more,
ABSOLITELY false. I have corrected this misinformation at least twice before.
If the indicas failed, it is due to "your" shortcomings, something that you failed in providing... NOT due to the 12 light hours. ANY mj plant can and will survive under 12/12 if it is provided the other/proper necessities.

There are several documented journals "here alone", where indica dominate strains have been successfully grown under 12/12 from seed.[

DEc 21 for El paso TX..
Twi A: 5:39am
Sunrise: 7:04am
Sunset: 5:29pm
Twi A: 6:54pm
about 12.5 hours of daylight (winter solstice)

June 21 for El Paso..

Twi A: 4:20am
Sunrise: 6:00am
Sunset: 8:14pm
Twi A: 9:54pm
over 17 hours of daylight(summer solstice)

Well, you can try it. But don't complain if it doesn't work!
I am not talking about indica dominant strains. Maybe there is enough sativa in there to make them work under 12/12 from seed.

Latest posts

Back