DWC, how to effectively bubble?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it runs 12 air stones, that isn't a bad price. However, Petco has a 4 outlet aquarium air pump rated for a 200 gallon fish tank for under $25US on-line. The common advice on sizing air pumps for bubbling DWC here on the forum, has been to get one rated for a fish tank twice as large as the total reservoir(s) hooked to it. Using that standard, the Petco pump should handle 100 gallons of reservoirs(s).

The 2 Petco stores here in Spokane both use the Petco brand pump on their fish tanks and the frequently have several thousand dollars worth of exotic fish in them. If the house brand wasn't just as reliable as the name brands, you would think they would use the best air pumps they could find to safeguard their investment in the fish they stock.

Great smoking.

zem- Is that a sunleaves pump? I have two of those. One in my flower room, one in veg. Mine are rated at 600 gal per hour. I'm going to look into getting a gang valve. The splitter that comes with it, (in your pic) doesn't seem to distribute the air evenly. It Might just be me tho. I have 4 6" airstones hooked up to each one. I'm switching over to the 5 or 7" round ones that pc duck showed in his dwc thread. The 6" stones seem to plug up too easy. I also have a couple bigger aquarium pumps. The sunleaves seems to put out enough to do 2 buckets. Compared to 1 bucket for the larger aquarium ones. I did end up with some root rot from lack of oxygen getting to the roots just under the net pot (3.75"). I have switched to 6" pots. I will see if I need to add a stone near the top of the water on my second grow :).

( I chalk the rot up to being a rookie, I may have kept the water too low, or my plants are too big. The root balls are as round as the bucket and over a foot tall, taking up most of the bucket. That makes it tough to get the bubbles to the surface.)

zem said:
hey guys! i got this today :D electromagnetic air compressor 30L/min 20watt the shop claimed that i can even bubble 12 airstones with it easily. i paid 40$ for it, do you think its good price?
i use the same pump for aerating my 70 gal res...it's a 600gph pump it'll run several airstones at once. btw, i paid 40 for mine too.

mine is rated 360gal/hr, when you say you paid 40$ did that include shipping? i dont have free shipping i can see the same online for 25$ but would add up to more than 40 with shipping, and then add the customs :rolleyes: just curious if i did at least an ok buy, i could probably have it returned if i wanted but i dont think its worth it mostly cuz i dont have any cheaper alternative

One I ordered online. That was $44. inc shipping. The other was on sale for 35$ at hydro store.(10$ off).

Going by your original 30L per min.=1800L an hour. 1800L = 1902 quarts divide by 4= 475.5 gal per hr. If I did the math right.
Either way I think you did okay. Should be built better than a standard aquarium pump. Plus its def. stronger.

Reactions: zem
yes yes forgive me :p i was wrong on themaths its 30L/min so aprox. 500GPH, ya its ok im keepin it ;)

hey guys this pump is working great! i'm having trouble with its noise. the manual says i should not put it in a closed box to allow it to cool so it's humming freely and i would like to dampen it, any ideas?

I have rubber bungees holding my pump up off the ground.

This might be of interest, its my way of aerating my DWC. I call it SRDWC! Maybe it'll bring some new ideas to the table. Check out my video on Super Recirculating Deep Water Culture hXXp://youtu.be/2nd-p8uyxeA

when i ran my DWC i found that it was better, once the root mass has reached at least the halfway point of your bucket to keep at least the top 1/3 of the mass out of the water so long as your air stones are not all under your root mass and you still get sufficient bubbles breaking at the of the water to mist the upper root mass then your golden, making sure the top roots dont dry out and still get misted with breaking bubbles should solved your problem, but untill the roots are large enough to do this i kept the water up to the bottom, maybe a 1/2 inch up the net pot, i had a pretty good harvest comming in just shy of 4 oz, think it was like 3.7oz

I weigh the airlines down and PLOP my air. I've run all dif air stones and w a four outlet pump it splashes awesome and arreates awesome for my use- BUT

What we need to get at is what yer deal is.

If its a MULTI Dwc I would recommend doing a RDWC in buckets. If you want SOG use the container u have as a Rez and get a tray to flood.

A mist is all you need for the net post but you need to use a cloner (best) and transplant into your dwc.

I can say alot on this if u need help but I g2g.

Goodnight

Latest posts

Back