electricians needed!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
alright.. I am running a couple more circuits. cousin is an electrician, he told me to run what i need and hook up the outlets (i can handle this part) and he will come complete everything in the box. he is out of town for a couple days and i am unable to get ahold of him. Is it 12-2 or 14-2 that i need. I think 12-2 but not interested in buying and running the wrong stuff! 14-2 for light switches and lights right? is 12-2 good only for 15 amp circuits or can you run 20? i need real insight so only sparky's!!!

Sorry not a sparky, but for others that may be interested you use 14 gauge for a 15 amp circuit and 12 gauge for 20 amp circuit (US).

screwdriver is correct - FYI some areas don't allow 14 gauge homeruns ex. nyc

I would run either 10/2 or 12/2--even if you are planning to run a 15 amp breaker. I ran 10/2 for a 20 amp circuit, so I can up the amperage on the breaker if I find I need more equipment in my closet.

14g = 15 amp 12g = 20 amp 10 g = 30 amp

Forget 14g it's crap
12g on 20 amp breaker is the way to go

go get some 12/3 and 2 20 amp breakers and your good to go. One circuit for light one for other equipment. - You'll have enough space on both circuits for any other toys you want to add.

Ask for 12-2 with a ground.

It used to be the same price as 14-2 so everyone that adds anymore just used it, since copper prices are thru the roof maybe not anymore.

Some advice would be to wait till you talk to your cousin because if he has plans to do it a certain way and you get stuff he doesn't want you might piss him off and end up doing it yourself.

If you have 15 amp outlets, 12 guage wire doesn't fit in the normal cheap outlets everyone buys, you need to buy more expensive ones with bigger holse for the 12 wire. Sometimes you'll be ok because you can twist the wire around a screw on the outside of the outlet.

I'd wait for your cousin. If he's doing the work, best let him do it his way.

If you can do everything else why can't you wire into the box ? Snap in a new breaker, hot wire to the breaker and neutral wire to the neutral block and ground to the ground block, easier than hooking up an outlet in my opinion and if you are scared of getting shocked just flip the main off.

if you are scared of getting shocked just flip the main off
Lets all do this, even if we aren't scared. A little prudence goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back