Electronic Ballast & TV Reception

• Thread starter The Hemp Goddess
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im with growdude on the emi like he said try grounding it out problem should be solved

The spark created by the igniter is the same that omits a radio wave in radio applications. If the tv is unwatchable even after the bulb has struck then the igniters constantly pulsing, an anticycling igniter is the way to go, once the power is connected, it pulses for 30 seconds or so and then shuts off if the bulb hasnt lit by then. It will not omit any radio interference if the bulb is lit and it has shut itself off.

dr pyro said:
is the tv further away from ballast

Yes it is. But to rule out the proximity thing, I took the ballast into the living room and plugged it in about 6' away from television. The newer TV didn't have any interference.

As a former cable guy, I know that older TV's typically have less "shielding" on thier internal antennas...

There would be more interference on people's older TV's sometimes because of the shielding (or lack of)....

:)

Assuming that the ballast is contained in a metal box, then to reduce the EMI problem:
1. Make sure the metal of the box is properly earthed.
2. Loop the mains cable as many times as possible through a large ferrite toroid. These can be found inside old computer PSUs.
The interference is caused by high frequency harmonics being radiated from the switching circuits in the ballast.

leafminer said:
Assuming that the ballast is contained in a metal box, then to reduce the EMI problem:
1. Make sure the metal of the box is properly earthed.
2. Loop the mains cable as many times as possible through a large ferrite toroid. These can be found inside old computer PSUs.
The interference is caused by high frequency harmonics being radiated from the switching circuits in the ballast.

I have 2 different ballasts made by different companies that are doing the same thing. The ballasts are properly grounded. I have NO idea what you are talking about in step 2 (it might as well be in Greek :confused:). Since the newer TV is not affected, can i safely assume (I know, I know) that if I buy a new TV, it will be okay?

Heh, heh. Leafminer must be into computers too! :) A 'toroidial transformer' is what he is referring to, also found in stereos of good quality.
Wrapped in tinfoil and grounded like growdude said is fine since you didn't take Greek in school. ;)

Yeah it is true. OldSkool.
You can often find these toroids on various portable appliances, like for instance the power cords of laptop chargers, power cords of hifi amps, and so on. A toroid is like a donut of iron oxide powder, it has special magnetic properties that suppress the radiation of interference.

Try wiring a 0.044 microfarad capacitor across live and ground, and also neutral and ground, right at the ballast. The capacitor should be a high stability type e.g. ceramic or mylar, and rated at 300V.

THG __ wat brand of electronic ballasts were these that ya had the probs with?
and did you solve ya prob wit the TV interferance?

Try wiring a 0.044 microfarad capacitor across live and ground, and also neutral and ground, right at the ballast. The capacitor should be a high stability type e.g. ceramic or mylar, and rated at 300V.
:huh:
can we get a translator in here please :rofl:

Latest posts

Back