Enclosed space, possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Puffs Alot

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My friend asked me something today and I'm not sure so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Is it possible to grow in a completely enclosed space, located under a stairwell? It would have room for about 12 three gallon buckets, and the whole thing would need to be plastic wrapped so the smell does not seep out. If the air absolutely needs to be exchanged it might be possible once before going to bed at night. It would have to be soil grown and budget is around 1000$.

What would need to be done to counter-balance heat and lack of fresh air from a 600HPS. Is there any other alternatives for "cooler" bulbs?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Puff on!

EDIT: I was browsing on ebay and saw these hXXp://cgi.ebay.ca/1020-LED-Red-Blue-110-130V-AC-Spot-Grow-Light-78W-1170W_W0QQitemZ110325439521QQcmdZViewItemQQptZHydroponics_Seed_Starting?hash=item110325439521&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 I Imagine this would be the only option for this type of operation?

Well with 1000$ dollers you could do quiet a bit.
But as far as growing in a completely enclosed space with a 600 watt hps with no airflow??? sorry but it would be extremly hot probably about 105 degrees or more. If your going to grow with a 600 watt your going to need good airflow and that means ducting if u want to keep smell down. A cool tube would help but your still going to need airflow in and out of the area.

Yes you can grow in an enclosed space. Ventilation is a must, for fresh air and for temp. Co2 can be added for the higher temps and the lack of fresh air but this is not a cure all. They make a stand alone air-conditioner too for lower temps. Cool tube would help alot on the temp

Sorry Didn't even think about an air conditioner I was a little out of my head at the moment i wrote that. But without airflow it would still be very hard but possiable. Co2 would also be helpful like nyc said, But a 600 watt is going to produce alot of heat I would consider cfls. Happy growing and good luck to your friend.

my last post was refering to your friend leting fresh air in there at a minimum of once a day but really should be more.

IMO..friends, Fresh air needs to be braught in at all times...The air in the inclosed area Has to be exchanged every 2 minutes if not more..this can be done..and an air conditioner is just that..its not fresh air..JMT....Tell your friend to create a user name log in here to MP and We will be glad to help..Untill then take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Many people skipped this issue because they were stressing the importance of airflow, but let me so, DO NOT GET THOSE LIGHTS. Those are gimmicky and will not grow much more than a couple of bowls worth. Go with flouresent lighting for a cool, and nearly as enerygy efficient alternative.

Seriously though, don't get those lights.

blancolighter said:
Many people skipped this issue because they were stressing the importance of airflow, but let me so, DO NOT GET THOSE LIGHTS. Those are gimmicky and will not grow much more than a couple of bowls worth. Go with flouresent lighting for a cool, and nearly as enerygy efficient alternative.

Seriously though, don't get those lights.

What lights ? the 600 HPS?

Growdude said:
What lights ? the 600 HPS?

No he posted a link on ebay to some cheap leds. What a waste of money. Without venting there is going to be a lot of humidity transpiring from the leaves. The real problem with this type of grow is it take experience to pull something like this off, and you and your friend have none. Why make it more difficult than it has to be? IMO get some cheap flouro's and some bag seed and try growing them, and even if this is a sealed grow use a FAN to circulate whatever little air you do have.

.."fresh air/ciculation" is probably the most commonly overlooked requirement for growing anything. MJ requires a fresh supply of co2 in order to thrive. A 'fully enclosed' area will require tanks and meters for co2 administration to ensure proper ppm's. Thermostatically controlled fans/venting will still be necessary to control optimal temperatures for co2 utilization. ....

as hick said,there is no way for you to do this without GOOD,ventilation.the plants would be dead in a matter of hrs if you go thru with this.the hid lights put off a lot of heat.during the summer months i used 2 portable ac units to keep my grow tents cool and one to keep the temps nice in the grow room itself.also i had to get higher cfm blowers to adequately cool my reflector,with a can fan for odors.

I read an article in a magazine it states that 4.5 150 W eco plus cfls(the beg ones) equal 1 400W hps. So that may be an option for your veg cycle and not release as much heat. Bu that I don't know for sure. I am sure that Hick will know and correct me.lol
Hick?

..."heat" is only a portion of the issue. Fresh air or proper co2 induction is at least as important.
I don't believe, that watt per watt or lumen per lumen, cfls or flourescents are any cooler than hid's, and have in fact proven to be less efficient for plant growth.
but I'm not sure what you'r asking/saying city..:confused:.. "4.5 150 watt echo"...
four.. 150 watt bulbs(cfl's..4 bulbs, 4 ballasts, 4 mogul sockets) will consume 'more' power(4 X 150 = 600) and produce more heat than a single 400 watt hps ..IMO. ACTUAL 150 watt cfls I found priced at $59 ea...and emit 8,000 L. A 400 W. hps can be purchased, "plug 'n play" for around $100 and kicks out about 50,000 L.
If they are "150 equivilant".. they aren't anywhere near the lumen produced by the hid. 2450 Lumen each..X 4 = 10,000 L or about enough to light 2 sq. ft.

i used the cfls for veg on this grow i have now.they are all in flower now.but i will retire the cfls.they do emit a lot of heat.and it is so much easier to me,to have one light to deal with raising and lowering.also i can vent my hood on my MH

Thanks for all your help guys, I will make sure to send this link to my friend. Also I always have been a skeptic about the LED lights used for flowering; I do know they work well for veging the plant, but did anyone ever try them out for flowering?

Does it HAVE TO be under the stairs? Can you move some stuff out of another closet to under there? I have a closet under my stairs, and I sure can't figure out how to use it for growing.

im about to be movin and my new space will be under stairs. i'll let you know how i set mine up. maybe that will help out some.. i will be moving the first week of january so i'll post pics of what i do when i set it up. good luck

Latest posts

Back