Exhaust system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
I am trying to figure something out about my car. Somebody stole the catalytic converter off of it while my son had it. That is a long story, but I took it to get it fixed today and the muffler shop said the converter near or in the motor was ruined too. They couldn't fix it. I didn't know there were two converters on the car. It is a 2005 Ford Taurus. This is the part in the engine or that attaches to the engine. So, now I am really confused what to do because I could take that money and put a deposit on another car. This car otherwise runs great. I guess I will have to bring it to a different garage and get an estimate there. Can anyone explain this better or find a diagram. I don't know if anything else is ruined. I know nothing about cars but have had to replace a converter a long time ago. That was just the one piece. Sorry if I mentioned this before.

If your car was parked in your home's driveway when the two cats were stolen , then most likely your home owners insurance should replace the stolen parts. I bet they got the radio and expensive dresses you had in the big box on back seat too.
But not if you have a large deductible .

Sounds like you need a whole new exhaust system back from engine and it contains 2 cats.

I actually had my converters removed. My truck runs 100 times better. All those fking converters do is choke the shit out of the engine.And before you ask,,yes i have someone that takes care of my Inspections.

Do a google image search for 2005 Ford Taurus and the number of cylinders 6 or 8 and the image will show what you are working with.
Try a place that builds the systems new with a exhaust tube bender to get an estimate as well , may get a better price then normal guy.

I actually had my converters removed. My truck runs 100 times better. All those fking converters do is choke the shit out of the engine.And before you ask,,yes i have someone that takes care of my Inspections.
Rebel That is illegal LOL

If you go that route then go with a pipe shop and have them bend and install new pipes

Sounds like you need a whole new exhaust system back from engine and it contains 2 cats.
That is a good explanation. It is going to cost a lot and I have to decide what to do, The car runs great, but because of its age I worry about putting that much money into it. I don't have credit cards or a big savings account.

I just had my car inspected in February so, I can drive it for a few months. Yes, it is illegal here too.

They sell cheater pipes if there is enough of the old pipe left to attach it to, but I am sure they ripped it out.
I took it to a muffler shop that is privately owned not like a chain or dealership. I figured this guy would use off brand parts and it would be cheaper, but this part is in the engine. Somewhere that he could not get to a second converter. He said it must have been damaged when they took the other part off or they tried to take that part out too.

China's CCP is the biggest buyer of used cats ... wonder why

I feel for ya sharonp and your son, not his fault ....

It is a Huge problem around Houston, San Antonio, and New Orleans ... wonder why

China's CCP is the biggest buyer of used cats ... wonder why

I feel for ya sharonp and your son, not his fault ....

It is a Huge problem around Houston, San Antonio, and New Orleans ... wonder why
It is the rare metals.

I took it to a muffler shop that is privately owned not like a chain or dealership. I figured this guy would use off brand parts and it would be cheaper, but this part is in the engine. Somewhere that he could not get to a second converter. He said it must have been damaged when they took the other part off or they tried to take that part out too.
Only thing I can think of is try to find the expensive parts (cats) at a junk yard (used car parts) They save all the good parts off old cars to be sold and used again. Not always as cheap as they once were , but cheaper than new.

Only thing I can think of is try to find the expensive parts (cats) at a junk yard (used car parts) They save all the good parts off old cars to be sold and used again. Not always as cheap as they once were , but cheaper than new.
My landlord has a junk yard and garage. He is really old though and I don't think he has any mechanics working. but I will have to talk to him and see. His son use to repair the cars but he died of cancer.

I am trying to figure something out about my car. Somebody stole the catalytic converter off of it while my son had it. That is a long story, but I took it to get it fixed today and the muffler shop said the converter near or in the motor was ruined too. They couldn't fix it. I didn't know there were two converters on the car. It is a 2005 Ford Taurus. This is the part in the engine or that attaches to the engine. So, now I am really confused what to do because I could take that money and put a deposit on another car. This car otherwise runs great. I guess I will have to bring it to a different garage and get an estimate there. Can anyone explain this better or find a diagram. I don't know if anything else is ruined. I know nothing about cars but have had to replace a converter a long time ago. That was just the one piece. Sorry if I mentioned this before.
There are two Cats. The main one on the exhaust pipe usually midway down the vehicle, and the Pre-Cat which is part of the headers. The Pre-Cat has caused engine failure and is known for that on some cars, eg the Nissan Altima. (The matrix comes loose and gets sucked back into the cylinders.) The Taurus 3.0L has a front cat that bolts directly to the header flange, you can see it here - it should be easy enough. Scrapyard visit. https://www.carparts.com/details/Fo...atalytic_Converter/2005/SET-REPF960302-2.html

There are two Cats. The main one on the exhaust pipe usually midway down the vehicle, and the Pre-Cat which is part of the headers. The Pre-Cat has caused engine failure and is known for that on some cars, eg the Nissan Altima. (The matrix comes loose and gets sucked back into the cylinders.) The Taurus 3.0L has a front cat that bolts directly to the header flange, you can see it here - it should be easy enough. Scrapyard visit. https://www.carparts.com/details/Fo...atalytic_Converter/2005/SET-REPF960302-2.html
Thanks, I can better communicate with garages if I know what service I need.

Latest posts

Back