Fastest way to find sex from seed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emulated

Reaction score
What is the fastest way to find the sex from seeds? I have some bag seed and dont want to waste too much time on them.

Hello Emulated, to answer your question.

You can grow the seed starting under 12/12 lighting, but sex will not show until it is sexually mature.

This might take anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks depending on strain and genetics. This can all depend on

your grow room setup; lights, ventilation, nutrients, pH, medium, etc.

IMO, I think it’s a waste of time to do this as it will severely affect your yield for the worst.

Instead you should veg them until they’re sexual mature then destroy the males and flower the females.

Your yield will go up significantly if you veg them out at least 4 weeks before flowering, provided you

have the room or invest some reading into Low Stress Train or Screen Of Green. It can take about

4 to 7 weeks veg to reach maturity. Also since your using bag seed you will never know what strain it is

and if it’s genetically superior or inferior. Because of this it may just hermi on you because of genetics.

GL to ya :D

:yeahthat: there is to my knowledge no way to fast grow MJ to find sex of the plant. Unless it is a auto, 4 to 6 weeks is the normal time frame for sexual maturity of most strains of MJ

Thanks for the info. I could use them to try differant grow methods. I have a 600w hps and could go soil or hydro. I will play around with it and let you know what I find

Perhaps it would be best to let the plants grow out some, take a clone from each one and keep track of which clone came from which plant. Then root and sex the clones so you will know which plant is female with out stressing out the plants by going from 12/12 back to veg.

I read on another forum where someone took a lower branch and covered it with black plastic for 12 hrs a day to replicate 12/12 while the rest of the plant stayed on a 18/6 day.... did this for two weeks and it forced the males to show early.

I have heard about the bag thing too would it hurt the plant?

No. It will not hurt anything. The reason this is done is to speed up the sexing process which is what you are after. Only on one branch of each plant is affected while the rest of the plant is vegging normally. Give it a try...

I started my seeds out at 12/12 to sex them and it took them about a 4 weeks to show..moved them under 18/6 and now back to flowering and look they are going to produce some good buddies.

put the seed in between you fingers then put next to your ear shake really hard to see if hear balls bouncing around:D

OldHippieChick said:
I read on another forum where someone took a lower branch and covered it with black plastic for 12 hrs a day to replicate 12/12 while the rest of the plant stayed on a 18/6 day.... did this for two weeks and it forced the males to show early.

this is a great way to determine sex.
another step forward of this is that you can do an air layer beneath each branch you cover with black plastic.when you find out which branch is female you now have a rooted cutting that you can pull off and label as female.do this to all plants keeping all air layer cuttings.don't forget to label flowering ladies also.female one in flowering,with a tag on air layer that says female one,and so on.
when you flower room and find best phenotype you will also have a mother from airlayer months before.you will have airlayered some males but ,they should be dead already or saved some where else for genetic study.may be some good males in your bag aswell as females.

This should explain Air Layering...its an old technique.

hxxp://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/growfaq/968.html

^^ replace xx with tt :D

Latest posts

Back