few questions for you experienced hydroponic guys/gals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh no,i'm not startin em out in the cube.i will germinate the seeds,then i'll use the hydroponic plugs until the roots start coming out,then ill put the plug into the cube. i.m.o.you dont wanna start in soil,then go through all the b.s. to get the plant into rockwool.what it is that you dont do,is try starting out in rockwool without first germinating your seeds.as for the water farm,does that system hold 40 plants?i paid $100 for my system and i even got 1 of my 2 400 watt lights(with ballast) i got a killer deal on it.the guys at my hydroponic shop praise the system.but anyways,who knows..time will tell.thanks for checkin out the ol thread

My 2cents on rockwool.

I have been using rockwool only (cloning in 1x1, transfering to 4x4 and then transplanting to 2 gal pots of shredded rockwool) for over 6 years.

I used to "condition" my rockwool when I first started. Then I stopped. I saw NO difference whatsoever. The rockwool conditioner at the growstore is another highpriced additive that ultimatly raises your ppm's rather then "conditions" your rockwool, imho.

I do stick with Grodan. I have tried cheaper wool only to have issues. With grodan, I have never had any medium issues or PH flucuations.
I lost 100's of clones using cheaper rockwool. They seemed to have a hard time rooting thru it. Once I went back to Grodan, no issues at all and my success rate is 95%.

One thing I have changed recently was when I make my 2 gal pots of rockwool, I use half absorbant and half non-absorbant. This has made a noticable differance.

You know, this thread has also reminded me that people cry, whine, and complain, and also suggest not using jiffy peat pellets. I've had nothing but great things to say about those for starting seeds/plants. I've actually just had 21 of 25 bag seeds sprout and roots out of the bottom already, which were just given away as gifts and transplanted directly into a DWC system as well.

Again, another thing people say not to mix any kind of soil with hydropoincs, like a peat pellet into your hydro, but it works great for me. :)

GroDan is IMO one of the best companies, there is one other that I've had great success with as well, just stopped purchasing them because a brick of like 10 2" blocks was almost $20 online.

"Again, another thing people say not to mix any kind of soil with hydropoincs, like a peat pellet into your hydro, but it works great for me."

Peat moss and soil are totally different things.

I've used peat pellets for a starter then transplanted into larger rockwool blocks as well, and worked fine.
so there should be no problem.
When I used Grodan for the first time using hydro, I never pre-soaked the rockwool once, and still worked fine.
The only thing I could think of being a possible problem is just the strain your growing.

Latest posts

Back