First attempt at flowering.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrimsonUndertow

Passionate Grower
Reaction score
This is my first flowering attempt. i have 4 plants under a 400w HPS, two things i need to know, should there be total darkness when the light is off and whether i should cut the leaves at the bottom? Any suggestions?

mini-DSC00080.JPG

mini-DSC00081.JPG

My flower level isn't totally dark ... there are some slight light leaks from the veg level ... but I have no problems what so ever ... you can cut the lower leaves if you wish ... that is a mater of preference I would say ...

While I wouldn't cut off any fan leaves throughout the entire plant, I always lollipop my plants, by taking off the bottom 1/4 of the plants shoots as these shoots will never reach the canopy and will just use up vital energy that could be feeding the developing buds.

It also greatly improves air circulation under the canopy.

massproducer said:
While I wouldn't cut off any fan leaves throughout the entire plant, I always lollipop my plants, by taking off the bottom 1/4 of the plants shoots as these shoots will never reach the canopy and will just use up vital energy that could be feeding the developing buds.

It also greatly improves air circulation under the canopy.

How about if you do the plant bondage thing?

I agree with most of these guys, Light leaks are really bad during flowering, also i would just leave thing the way they are, the plant will get rid of any leaves it doesnt need.

Well, I'm sure no light would be best, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way especially in my grow situation ... there are plenty of leaks from the veg. level and the room the closet is in ... here are a couple of shot of what I've have produced with the leaks ...

FMaz.JPG

Har05.JPG

nice, but there are exception to every rule. but you havent harvested yet and are at great risk of getting hermie weed!!!!!

They look nice man i just wouldnt change or cut anything right now...maybe you could think how to block them leaks in the future...i had a big gap under my door and all i did was roll a bath towel up and put it under the gap, problem solved..

Peace

gettinggray1964 said:
nice, but there are exception to every rule. but you havent harvested yet and are at great risk of getting hermie weed!!!!!

:ignore:The ladies I'm growing now show no signs what so ever of becoming hermies ... I can count on one hand the hermies I have gotten during the ten years of growing indoors ... :hubba:

OK, let me start by saying, that absolutely NO light leaks is the BEST way to go especially since you are in complete control of the circumstances of your grow area..... That being said, A pinpoint of light or a small glow from an unsealed corner in the room is not all that bad. In the wild there are these small sources of light known as stars, and one large source of reflected light, the Moon. The light pollution that hurts the most is when you go into your grow room during dark periods and turn on a light and sit there to look at your girls. Any high burst of light on your plants foilage wil start up the plants processes for the day cycle and then the lights go out again..... that is where the stress comes from.

Also as far as hermies are concerned, some strains will just be more prone than others to turn. :confused2:

Anyway, Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back