first closet setup need some opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce

Reaction score
ok first off wanna say hello to everyone on here... and for all your future help.. ok this is my firsttime grow... i have my setup in my closet but i need sum guidance... ok i have 4 purp clones about 2 and a half weeks in... i have 3 300 watt CFLs about 8-10inches above my plants... and i just added 2 spotgro growlights about 2ft above my plants to go along with my fluorescents.. i have 2 fans one exhausting and one pulling new air in... so basically i just wanna know if i should change anything in there??? lights... height... or anything else u guys can help me out with...

IMAGE_018.jpeg

pic isn't to good but you might be fine can you get better pic?

heres a pic of my set up... i hope this ones better... im jus scared that there is too much heat comin off the lights... and the leaves may melt..

View attachment 2.bmp

do u have a thermometer to check temps. You can even use the back of your hand to c if it puts out to much heat. U can use a small fan or two to help cool things down.

u gotta lower the lights for one. the angle of the pic is kinda steep. well i can't tell u what is the best sett up an no one can. its compley up to u. IMO i would put up some mylar up on them walls, drop them lights so they are just a few in's off the top of the plants. u need a humdity reader an a temp reader. but things seam to be doing good.

The gro and show spot lights are not good for growing, use more CFL's to replace them.

CFL's can be 1-2 " from the top.

Figure your light by actual wattage not the CFL equivelent, remember you need 3000-5000 lumens per sq/ft

thanks everyone.. I've lowered the CFLs from 10inches to 5inches... I kept the spotgtro growlights at 2ft... oh ya sumone told me to get MYLAR?? I hear it comes in colors??? which should I get??? oh ya and should trim leaves??? sumone explain to me which leaves to clip... how much of the plant?? and how far along the branch should I cut??? thanks to evryone?? make sure u all smoke a blunt for me!!!!!!

where do you exhaust to and where is your fresh air comeing from cus i am getting together a grow and i cant cut into the wall

oyu could prolly use more light. Go with at least 400watt mh

I think im gonna upgrade once these r gonna bloom and get a 400watt HPS.... I hear that's better for blooming and its also good for vegatative state... I have no grow shops around... so where should I go to find mylar?? or any other alternative.. I went to lowes hardware and they don't have mylar...fylon... or poly-plastic(panda plastic)... so whut should I do?? I don't wanna resort to aluminum foil.. I heard u can use PVC sheets???

just make sure the walls or surface surrounding your grow are flat white, if your walls are painted white then leave them the way they are. you can buy online but if thats not an option for you, i wouldnt worry about it too much. Or, check out a grow tent, or homebox, they are small, easy to use and self contained.

i started just like you, then i did some homework. I think cfl's are ok for a small grow, but hid is the way to go. 1 400w'er will do way more than the cfls you have going and is relatively cheap as far as lighting goes. I started with 8 27w cfl's, and quickly upgraded to two 1000w mh/hps lights, im much happier with the results, you will be too, I know money isnt going to let you do what you want, but improvise and do it right!

thanx oh ya hahaha those aren't flood lights... they r in the same shape... the r jus blue spectrum spotgro growlights... but next topic... thanx jbonez.. I think im gonna stick it thru with my cfls until im ready to flower... then im gonna get one 400 watt HPS for the 4 plants to flower... will that raise the potency and yield if I switch to 1 400 watt hps instead of the cfls for flowering???

deuce said:
thanx oh ya hahaha those aren't flood lights... they r in the same shape... the r jus blue spectrum spotgro growlights... but next topic... thanx jbonez.. I think im gonna stick it thru with my cfls until im ready to flower... then im gonna get one 400 watt HPS for the 4 plants to flower... will that raise the potency and yield if I switch to 1 400 watt hps instead of the cfls for flowering???

Yes Hps is good for flowering
When u buy a 400 watt Hps system, do urself a flavor and buy a 400 watt MH conversion Bulb and blast them with the blue specutrum..
I got one and works great..!

deuce said:

Fluoros do a good job of vegging. If your plants are not stretching and have close internodal spacing, you have enough light. For flowering, an HPS is, IMO, the only way to go. The difference between using CFLs and HPS for flowering is incredible. You should get a substantially larger yield with a HPS. I would guess that potency would also be increased, but I don't know for sure.

thank u bro... im definitely gonna up grade to the HPS for flowerin... oh ya I saw the 400watt HPS bulb its 17 dollars... how much is the ballast??? and what else do I need for an HPS setup??? and.. I can't find mylar so I grabbed a colemans emergency blanket.. its aluminized polyester and it retains 90 percent of body heat... so im scared its gonna retain too much heat and that it may melt frm the bulbs.. whut do u guys think?

fire blanket, thats what i got in my room bro, its doing great, just make sure to have a fan, an even with the fan off it stay at about 80. its working good, i dubble fold it over. so it don't let light thew. working fine for me, click on the link on my signature, an check it out.

post pics of the exhaust and intake setup plz!!! i need this

if you have your temps and airflow good and also the lumens you're giving,thats all you need.but one thing you need to consider.before you buy a 400 watt syatem,will you want to get bigger in the future?everything i buy new now,is overkill.i too started with 2 400 watters,lumatek.now i have up-graded to 2 1000 watters.if i had of stopped and thought about it,i would have saved a considerable amount of time and expense.also on the blowers,get higher cfm's than what yopu think you will need for ventilation.good luck on your grow.

Growdude said:
The gro and show spot lights are not good for growing, use more CFL's to replace them.

CFL's can be 1-2 " from the top.

Figure your light by actual wattage not the CFL equivelent, remember you need 3000-5000 lumens per sq/ft

You beat me to it....good advice. Those "grow lights" throw off mad heat and arent the right spectrum.

Latest posts

Back