First grow attempt | Need some guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ20

Super Sativa
Reaction score
Hi all.I'm going to attempt my first grow.I'm going to try it with some "bagseed" (Is this the right term?I mean normal plain stuff) first.Tell me if I have this correct:

I'll need:

1) 1 Light; I plan on using a basic 40W Flouroscent at first since I don't have access to big lights right now and I want to kinda use this 1st grow as an experiment.I'll try my best to get a high watt HPS though.

2) Potting soil; I'm planning to stay @ 2 feet so 2 gallons would be right?Something hydroponic with alot of nutrients?

3) Air; I plan on using about 2 small PC like fans in a small enclosure to keep the air circulating

4) Seeds; as said before I plan on using some basic seeds from some schwag I had previously

5) Humidifier?; How do I alter humidity if needed?

6) Water; I plan on using distlled water.How often in each stage should I water the plant?I'll try to find something high in nutrients but would this be bad?Too much nut's for the plant?

In terms of schedules...after I germinate and place them in the soil to veg,use a 18/6 schedule right?If I plan to stay @ 2 ft how long should I let it veg for while cutting it? (Until I see sex in pre-flowers?)
For flowering I plan on using a 12/12 or 13/11 schedule.

How long should I allow it to flower?2-3wks?

Im asking for some guidance on this as this is my first time.

1) Depends on how much space is in the grow area. You should maybe use four of those(sounds like your in a small space cus of the pc fans) 2)You should use potting soil without added nutes or if your soil has nutes don't add any nutes to your water, give it plain water. 3)Those should work fine in a small place. 4) you got the right idea...lol. 5) I wouldn't add one unless your air is very dry. You can get a humidity gauge at wally world. 6) You should keep seedlings dry at the base of the stem, moisture at the stems base could soften the stem or kill it. You should water a seedling once a week, only watering when the soil is dry two inches deep. Give them plain water for the first week or two then start out with a weak nute solution after that. Now as far as light 18/6 or 24 on will work. If you want two foot plants start flowering at one foot, you can expect it to double or triple in size during flowering. You should veg for about a month and flower for 6-8 weeks. Hope this helps!

i would suggest going soil if you arent planning spending a cool amount of money. going hydro- although smart and easy- requires a good amount of expendature (not much, but still).

It is hard to pull anything out of hydro without having the proper equip. and understanding.

soil and fluoros is good for a first time.

although good equip can make any first timer look good.

your bud is only as good as its genetics, and enviroment it grows in.

good lights and some soil- your looking at a happy first time grow.

Ok.So the rectagnular pot I was planning to use is a bad idea according to KADE so that's out the window.It's down to 2 or 3, 1 gal pots.Im guessing a SOG technique would work well?Also, i'll apply the soil and some fertilizer.

What fertilizer combination (x-x-x) do you guys recommened?
I know that dif. stages require dif combos but which ones exactly I don't know.

Rooting/Germ: High Phos (P)
Veg: High Nitro (N)
Flowering: High ?

Can i just use Miracle Gro or do I need to use those x-x-x products?

caribbean_smoker_20 said:
Ok.So the rectagnular pot I was planning to use is a bad idea according to KADE so that's out the window.It's down to 2 or 3, 1 gal pots.Im guessing a SOG technique would work well?Also, i'll apply the soil and some fertilizer.

What fertilizer combination (x-x-x) do you guys recommened?
I know that dif. stages require dif combos but which ones exactly I don't know.

Rooting/Germ: High Phos (P)
Veg: High Nitro (N)
Flowering: High ?

Can i just use Miracle Gro or do I need to use those x-x-x products?

Definately use the pot.. just dont put more then one in it! Sog is 1 plant per square foot or less.. ur goin for the big colas in sog grows.
Rooting and flowering is the same kinda thing... P

if you go to the nursery (or hydro shop) the labels usually make them pretty self explanitory. if you saw "bloom boost" of course you would know that is for blooming /flowering- and to not use that in veg, etc.

when your doing SOG though its a little different. your clones dont need any vegative fertz usually. youll want to root them- which takes no fertilizer- and then you want to flower them- which still you dont want to give them too much until atleast 2-3 weeks in soil.

so you really only need to worry about flowering nutes, unless you plan on vegging them for a while (which kinda defeats the purpose of SOG).

remember that with soil, there are already natural NPK sources. as well as acidity and so on. it is much easier to burn your plant when using nutes in soil (although its not an everday occurance, i dont want to scare you. just inform you)

just remember that once the time comes. always go 1/2 or 1/4 strength. :)

goood luck

hey noob,
Go to the grow guide in the top of this section to answer all your questions about growing. It will give you a complete and thorough knowledge about everything that has to be done for a good grow.

how many plants are you tryin to grow? tou can get a cheap small hydrosystem for 4 plants 4 like $30.00 check out online get the hps later and some good seeds arn't that expensive grow some good bud man its worth it in my opinion thats what i did my first couple times it worked out lovelyand i just started an aeroflo2 36site system
take it easy man good luck :cool:

^^I'm thinking of growng 1 or 2 for now.I wont apply the SOG technique b/c I dont have enough room.I guess i'll have to just veg the 2 a lil longer...Im planning on growing (either both or one)it in a box (with the pot and lights in the box) roughly 2 ft long and 3 ft high,roughly a foot of depth.

^^I'm thinking of growng 1 or 2 for now.I wont apply the SOG technique b/c I dont have enough room.I guess i'll have to just veg the 2 a lil longer...Im planning on growing (either both or one)it in a box (with the pot and lights in the box) roughly 2 ft long and 3 ft high,roughly a foot of depth.

Sea of green is actually designed to take the smallest room possible.

^^Ok>now im confused.You said SOG is one plant/sq ft.....or is it that I need to have a minimum of 1 plant/sq ft??

^^Ok>now im confused.You said SOG is one plant/sq ft.....or is it that I need to have a minimum of 1 plant/sq ft??

The most room you would want for a SOG would be one foot... I grow mine 9" apart... I have 25 under one 1000w light...

Ok>So I have access to a 70W 6,700Lumen HPS light.Im taking this over the florus since it works out better economically.My question is>should I use 2 of these lights for the 2 plants or is 1 light good enough?

Ok>So I have access to a 70W 6,700Lumen HPS light.Im taking this over the florus since it works out better economically.My question is>should I use 2 of these lights for the 2 plants or is 1 light good enough?

2 would be best... that would be 6,700 lumens each... which is WAY better then 3000 lumens each. Hps lights dominate floros for efficiency.

Latest posts

Back