First Grow Box!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

load3dic3

BROKE-N-TOKE TENT GROWER
Reaction score
Hey all, I just redid my grow box, I have taken down my grow closet and I have acquired a new grow cabinet. My new cabinet is 2.5ft L X 1.5ft W x 4.5ft H. Now me and my fiance just purchased a 400watt metal halide w/ reflector & ballast. We have also got Fox Farm Oceans soil with the fox farm Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom. My temp is running a little high right now, around 80-86F and my humidity is around 30-32%. I have an 8in fan hooked up to some duct work for my intake, and then a 4in exhaust fan (cheap) but I am getting an 6in inline duct fan with a booster fan for better ventilation. One plant is just 2.5 weeks old and the others just got planted today. Hoping for the best for my little ladies :D. Will keep you all posted as time goes on. And please let me know what y'all think. Here are some pics of my new setup and crop.

100_0097.JPG

100_0098-1.JPG

100_0099.JPG

Any one has advice for a novice like me?

I would recommend a centrifuge fan like a Can, Eclipse or Vortex for your exhaust. I would not use a fan at all on intake. Inline duct fans and booster fans are often not strong enough and not able to accommodate filters. You will also need some kind of oscillating fan to move the air around.

I agree with THG. Get some more air movement. I built a fan/box contraption like the one you have on your intake. Honestly it was night and day difference when I put in "real" fans. A little $$ now will save you time, hastle, and unhappy plants.

What kinda seeds you growin in there? I like the setup. No light leaks right? Remember a pinhead size light leak can throw the whole thing off.

benamucc said:
I agree with THG. Get some more air movement. I built a fan/box contraption like the one you have on your intake. Honestly it was night and day difference when I put in "real" fans. A little $$ now will save you time, hastle, and unhappy plants.

What kinda seeds you growin in there? I like the setup. No light leaks right? Remember a pinhead size light leak can throw the whole thing off.
Really I find that hard to believe, if you grow outdoors its never completely dark at night, streetlights, moon, stars, make me understand how such a small light leak can affect plants.

Street lights can mess up the light cycle of plants the dirrect lumination caused the photoreceptive cell in the plant to not switch off. The light from the moon is reflected light without the spectrums needed for plants to grow. Star light is so weak that plants do not register it.

I'm not arguing with that...I guess my reference is more to do with indoor plants, than outdoor. With our abundance of street lights in W. CO (HA!)...I've heard of outdoor plants near "garage" lights that hermied badly, when the rest of the crop "out in the field" did fine. I guess I'm making reference to indoor growing when the lunar phase is NOT a consideration, and the plants do not "mesh" with the Biodynamic Lunar effect.

Planting in phases of the moon has been a "tried and true" method for farmers for AGES. The way the moon phases effect under ground wells and springs, as it effects tides, in correspondence to length of daylight...etc. Some plants have adaptive mechanisms that prevent moonlight from interfering with photoperiodism. The moon when full = .1 LUX-.3 LUX in tropical regions. Some plants are effected much more than others. Example: morning glory vs. soybean or clover.

Some of the adaptive mechanisms have been proven to reduce the amount of light a plant recieves at night by 85-95%.

To me this means that the outdoor plants, when "in phase" with the moon, are not effected by it's .1-.3 LUX. Also means to me, that those 3 plants that were close to the closet door hermied, and the back wall was perfectly fine...

The lunar planting seems to be a science of it's own, and might be a good thread somewhere?

Reference: Beeson 1946 ; Bunning and Moser 1969 ; Schad 1999

Thanks to both for the explanations. That makes sense.

Latest posts

Back