First Grow - CaliforniaOrangeBud <> BigBud <> RedShiva

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody.

Ettesun, you were correct, the bottom branches on a few of the Orange Buds produced some nice shoots from the node during the past week. The light is now about a few inches off the top of the tallest plant. Hopefully I will have a better chance of clones off of these 2 clippings I took.
24.jpg25.jpg
We'll see if they they survive, if not I'll just start from seed again but I will make sure to keep the plants more stocky rather than lanky by keeping lights closer. Your cloner rox btw :).

I also have a slight gnat problem the past week. This happend during Vegging but I read a tip on here reccomending to cover the top of the soil with about an inch of perlite. I did and it worked great, less then a week later, not one gnat.
Looks like they are back, but now in the hut. I'm trying the same thing again, and will play it by ear, otherwise I will use more drastic measures. Humidity varies between 30-40%.

Anyway, I am 3 weeks into flower and all plants are looking healthy. I can see them get fuller everyday, it's so freakin' great!

1 of my 2 Big Buds (don't know why the leaves are curling down at the top, maybe to close to the light, heat maybe? - about 6 inches from light) my temps have been a steady 80 around the light. Any suggestions? BTW, you can see one of those freakin' gnats on the wall in this pic:
27.jpg

4 California Orange Bud (these are looking so sweeeet):
26.jpg28.jpg

The 3 Red Shivas are comming along but are developing much more slowly... They may take a while until finished. Not worth taking pictures of yet. You can see them sticking out in the above left pic (they are in the bot right corner). These seeds were thrown in free in my order.

Be well everyone.

can you get some closer bud pics in there I d like to see your cali's up close at the nodes everything is lokking good man how long did you veg for?

What's up Killer? It's Mike again. Like the progress. Do you ever think about trimming? Like the little branches that only produce a large leaf. Just wondering. I trim mine up so they don't hog all the nutrients. I know SOG, people like all their leaves there. J/W. . . Yeah closer pics would rock... good job dude.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Hi Mike!

The 4 California Orange Bud (all about 2 feet above the soil):
29.jpg30.jpg31.jpg

2 Big Bud (you can see 1 is almost a foot taller than the other):
32.jpg

3 Red Shiva (these are all as tall as the taller Big Bud (3 feet above the soil. Had to tie 2 of them down, they were pretty tipsy :p):
33.jpg

FATBOY, I vegged them all for about 4 weeks, from seed.

Gnat problem is receeding :).

Oh yea, the clones are still alive. I hope to see pertruding roots soon. keep you posted.

Take care everyone.

Yeah Man Looks completely awesome! all looking nice and growed up...

So what did you think about what I said about trimming.

ALSO, I need to ask you and all here...

Rather than taking clones, will my plants be fine if I start flowering and revegg once I know which are females. Don't want to fudge em up you know. . .

Thanks Mike.

I was considering removing a few of the lower branches so they could concentrate on the main buds more, rather than just the small popcorn ones. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see.

From what I've read, revegging can cause hermies, as you already know. Most people will prob tell you to just flower the clones to find out, but it could take up to a few weeks.

I appreciate it Bud. But if its a male or female or hermie when you flower it, if you veg it again it cant turn into another thing.. Such as a female plant going under revegg and then changing to Hermie? That happens like that?

Okay, it's just about 4 weeks into flowering.

4 California Orange Bud (these are all pretty uniform):
34.jpg35.jpg

2 Big Bud (the difference in personality of these 2 are crazy):
36.jpg
The taller girl looks like it's gonna have one heck of a cola :hubba:.
The shorter girl I had to tie cause she was swaying, a little top heavy. So much more stocky than the taller.

ROFL, it's amazing you can see the growth over just 1 week on the taller Big Bud (look at my post on 5/3/2008 the top pic. It's like 2 different plants, I'm so amazed).

Been about a week since I took clones (under 18/6) and last few days they are looking pretty sick (yellow leaves, droppy, I think they are way overwatered (consistantly wet, and no air is getting to the potential root area, the opposite of what I want), so I cracked open the starter cubes to have look to see if I should bother continuing them. One had a few roots:), the other didn't have anything apparent. I want to disturb them as little as possible so I just transplanted them into small pots with 50% perlite/50% potting soil and I hope they/the rooted one will pull through.

The molasses thread had me really intregued, and everyone had some great input (appreciated) along with other info I read on the net,I was persueded to indulge in the molasses. I started today at about 1 Tbls/gallon. I will alternate this (which will be 2 Tbls/gallon if the plants show no ill effect), and the nutes on the waterings.

BTW, no more gnats :).

Until next time, be well everyone.

Quick update for everyone.

Thank you Ettesun for all your advise and suggestions regarding cloning. Thanks to you I now have a successful first clonning experience :).

About 3 days ago I though these clones were gonners but I held on strong and kept the faith:
55.jpg

And today There was sooo much inprovment on the one on the left. New leaves, greener, perkyer and growing rapidly. I yanked the on on the right, it was a gonner:
56.jpg

Now for the flower update

4 California Orange Bud:
57.jpg58.jpg59.jpg

2 Big Bud (The growth characteristics are so different it's crazy. Kinda like the movie Twins with Arnold and Danny Devito):
60.jpg

3 Red Shiva (I'm gonna have to tie these down so they lean diagonal, as the light can't go much higher):
61.jpg

Also I have started another grow journal which involves the California Orange Bud clone, plus Bubblelicious and Blue Mystic from seed.

check the diy forum the homede bubbler cloners work great cloning is the way to go.PS

M1k3 FLO said:
Yeah Man Looks completely awesome! all looking nice and growed up...

So what did you think about what I said about trimming.

ALSO, I need to ask you and all here...

Rather than taking clones, will my plants be fine if I start flowering and revegg once I know which are females. Don't want to fudge em up you know. . .
i revegged 2 plants as soon as they showed sex,everthing is great maybe not in all cases but im sure reveging when first signs show up should be ok.revegging makes it easier cause if its your first time cloning u may end up with no clones no mother and the ferther you are into flowering the harder it is to clone or revegg.trial and error will teach u alot.

The ladies are looking great. Fantastic work. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

Hi everyone,

Everything seems to be going well so far.
Gnats practically gone, whew.

I have been ferting with Big Bloom/Tiger Bloom and Molasses, swithing between the two each watering.
Anyway, onto the pix

4 California Orange Bud (the ladie in the back looks scrumptios):
67.jpg68.jpg

2 Big Bud (hmm, I wonder which is gonna produce a bigger yeild:rolleyes:):
69.jpg

3 Red Shiva (these are starting to pack the buds on now. You can see a tremendous difference from the just 1 week ago pic. Also they smell sooooo good, I just want to cry at the beauty of the odor):
70.jpg

And finally, an overall garden pic:
71.jpg

Those Shivas are ginormous!
Wish I had something to prop the shorter plants on to raise them up a foot.
Im going to try to bend the Shivas over tomorrow in order to lower the light a little.
Oh well, in 3 or 4 weeks when I put my new batch in for flowering, they will all be shorter strains, I hope :eek:.

Your grow is looking awesome man, the big bud sure does live up to its name thats for sure! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Thanks megan.

Yea, that thing is huge (like, well over a foot)!!! Today was first day since I started flowering that I actually examined the plants. To bad the other Big Bug is nothing in comparison. You will see when I harvest that the big one will prob yeild like 3 or 4x the smaller Big Bud. Oh well, at least the small one didn't turn out male, I'll take what I can get.

PeaceKiller said:
Thanks megan.

Yea, that thing is huge (like, well over a foot)!!! Today was first day since I started flowering that I actually examined the plants. To bad the other Big Bug is nothing in comparison. You will see when I harvest that the big one will prob yeild like 3 or 4x the smaller Big Bud. Oh well, at least the small one didn't turn out male, I'll take what I can get.

Thats how I feel about my grow, its NOTHING in comparison to your grow, but I am happy I got the two girls I got considering I started with like ten or more seeds. Good luck, I hope it smokes as good as it looks! Keep us posted.

Hey just want to say thanx for the info. You are doing a grea job and looks nice. But i wont go that far for me. Keep us posted on how you doing.

Thanx again.
Me ;)

wow this grow is great! those are some tall shivas! I can't wait to see all of these nearly done and with some nice colours!!

What grow medium are they in?

Also that first carbon filter thing you made to eliminate smell, was it attached to a fan and have airflow through it or was it just attached? It looked pretty simple :)

Latest posts

Back