First Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTR420

Reaction score
Sup all, i have my one lonely female in flower since nov.9 doesnt look like im gettin a HPS for this 1 so all i got are two CFLs, theres little buds everywhere and a nice cola on top. Just wondering, some of the big fan leaves are turning a little yellow and blocking light to the little buddies underneath, is it okay to cut or pull them off if no bud formation to them. Thnx 4 suggestions..cant wait 4 my xmas trees :D

Do not pull any of the leaves. They will fall off when the plant is done with them. Buds do not need light. The big leaves are the solar factories that turn nutes and light into bud production and THC. Two CFLs are probably not going to be nearly enough light to flower. What size CFLs? What is the spectrum? How many lumens? How large a space is your plant in?

you can tuck them under and outta the way..:aok:

alright this is y I asked, i have tucked a few. thnx 4 the info Hemp goddess. I have it in a 5gallon bucket now in a room 12X12 probably, ones a 40w-2600 lumens, n not sure of the other i think 26w. I no im not doing it 100% professional, b.c that would take a lot of $ and work. I have it all pritty ghetto rigged, but its doin pritty good for what ive done for it. Im def. going to do it better next time. thats y this is grow #1, thnx 4 ur help n opinions tho..

Like THG said leave them be...you are already most likely working with not enough lumens...don't handicap your plant even more by removing fan leaves...
Wld love to see a pic or two...

Here are some pics, that actually went quick this time..im new w. the pic resizing and uploading. I am a noob and I admit it, so be nice with my ghetto way of growing : )

DSCI0065.JPG

DSCI0066.JPG

It does not look all that bad...if you can get more light on that plant it wld only benefit it...

I would have bent her over sideways to get more light throught the plant... ;)

what are you feeding her? The yellowing at the bottom of the plants is normal for a plant in the flowering stage, that means it is using it's stored nutes. Like everyone else said....don't pull leaves. It looks pretty good for haveing it ghetto rigged! Just don't expect a whole lot of bud from those little lights.

yea i no : ( i listened, no pulling and i have a lamp w.out a shade beside it now until i get another dome type john, i wish i had the HPS but w.e ill have some good smoking material, next grow will b better. Its in miracle gro organiz soil w. nutes, i was using a little bloodmeal throughout the veg and and some schultz 10-15-10 liquid drops every now n then.

I was just reading in another post an Hick was saying about making sure light gets more to the top of the plant than lower. as u can see i have my bigger light up top, smaller on the side n just added a lamp beside it, shuld i move the small 1 up to the top of the plant too?

the way you have it now is good. if thats what you have to work with i see no better way of doing it. with the one on the top and the one on the side, more light is hitting more of the leaves.

only thing i would look into is some more lighting all together but its working for you for now which is great.

thg or anyone. quick question to try & clear the fan leaf/bud & light senario. if you say buds dont need light, which i dont believe or they wouldn't produce leaves themselves, then why do the lower buds become "popcorn" when shaded by these solar collectors? i dont have any facts to back this up just an observation. so why does everyone say tuck em outta the way if they dont need light?

Hey Doc!

We've all seen pics on here of someone cutting off all their fan leaves to get more light to the lower buds. Just doesn't work.

If we want those popcorn buds to develop, something else is going to pay for it- like the larger colas and main buds.

The plant only produces so much energy for cellular growth- it can only produce so much mass depending on the environment we provide- light, water, temperature, and nutrients.

While the smaller leaves around the buds do provide photosynthesis- they just can't compare to the fan leaves, based simply on sheer surface area.

:yeahthat:

most guides will tell you, and most expericanced growers know this. trimming the leaves= less yield

i'm baked doc, so my means of coming across will be vague. sorry. there is a compound in mj, (cant think of the name right now), anyway, it causes all the plants energy to race to the tallest point of this plant...do not remove any leaves, because they retain stored nutes, to make big buds...

even if someone tucks them under(which is a waste of time, and possiby an added stress, imho), they will still have food stored as long as thier green. yellowing of this leave, lets us know it is using up it's food reserves...

i believe the compound that is alluding me is called auxins??? don't quote me. anybody???...

your gonna need to grab up some more cfls then utr! then make your space smaller, say by, maybe partitioning off a corner...can you drape something from the cieling? get something dark...if all else fails, use a piece of paneling...keep all light from entering your space during your 12 hours lights out...don't worry about ghetto right now, gotta start somewhere...i am the king of ghetto, and the only problems i have is, how i'm gonna trim all this bud alone?:) ...

looks good for your first grow brother. now get some more lights, and this thing here is doable...

something else i gotta tell you man. your gonna have to get a flowering nute. that 10-15-10 is a veg nute... look for something like these numbers in NPK- 9-55-6...good luck, and holler if you need some help...

IRISH said:
...don't worry about ghetto right now, gotta start somewhere...i am the king of ghetto, and the only problems i have is, how i'm gonna trim all this bud alone?:) ...

I feel your pain bro! :p

I have been harvesting my current grow since November 22! Just can't get it done. I'm jealous when I hear about TCBud hiring trimmers- they're not in my neighborhood!

LMAO BB...:rofl: :ciao: ...

i don't think thats in my vocabulary even...lol...

i am THE trimmer...

You don't have to do it alone...I'm only a few hrs away...I'll help for a fee...lololololololololol

Latest posts

Back