first semi big grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaboy88

stays blunted up
Reaction score
ok.. so im hoping if i can get a digital camara and stop being a lazy a**, i want to take pics and share this grow with every1.. this website is nothing less than awesome and although i am rather new to growing, (only having 2 previous harvest) i have always been in love with MJ..

so far tho i germ'd 12 seeds in pete moss about 3 days ago.. i see 11 sproutlings popping thru the soil now that i see.. im hopin atleast 6 are ladies.. but its too early for that now..

im gonna b using FFOF when it comes time to plant em.. and im gonna runn them under some cfl's at night (untill i can get my t-5 set up)..money is tight rite now tho..and move them outside during daylight hours..

gonna b using big bloom when its time for nutes.. unless any1 can mayb suggest somethin better?? open for suggestions..

and when it comes time for flowering got the 1000w HPS jus waitin for them..

my room is 5ft x 5.5ft so 27.5 sq ft so ill def meet the 5000 lumens per sq ft.. have 2 small 8 inch fans fans but im def gonna have to get another and im gonna run some air duct from the light to out the room and out a window for ventilation

i kno its not the greatest set-up but i was happy wit my harvest from my lame set up b4 (b4 i got my 1000w HPS system and used bad MG soil) so with these few upgrades im sure ill b very happy wit the outcome

feel free to chime in wit suggestions anything would b beneficial.. thanks and pass the dutchie mannnn..lol :48:

Where ya been, Flaboy, it's prime growing season here! You didn't say what you're growing :confused::D

HI,

Nice gear and it sounds like fun bud. You're gonna love flowering with a 1K HPS...:hubba: Good thing you are getting your ventilation together because they really throw off a lot of heat. I use a 1K HPS in a closet grow and you can keep just about any space cool with robust ventilation.

You probably won't need any nutes in veg if you use FFOF soil when your babies get bigger and the Foxfarm nute lineup is a proven winner. I suggest that you use both Tiger Bloom (base bloom nute) and Big Bloom together per the Foxfarm soil feeding rates to get the most out of your plants. If you use only Big Bloom they will be lacking the main bloom base nutrient. If you want to use only one nute go with the Tiger Bloom as rather than the Big Bloom but ideally both work very well together.

Happy Growing!:cool:

its nothin special.. like i said im a bit new.. got a lil experience.. jus recently have i devoted more time and money into growin.. so i plan on buyin some seeds soon.. its pretty much bagseed mids but my last crop was extra dank looking.. and the smell was quite citrusy nd they were mids as well.. but untill i order some i jus have a bunch of these bagseeds and i kno a person who goes to cali to get there stuff so i told them if they come across any seeds to let me kno and they will hand them over.. heck ya!! my friend found a blueberry seed and he has it growin rite now.. but when i do purchase some im really interested in subcools seeds and i also want somethin with a nice yield like ak-47 or c99 wit mayb a kush or haze cross.. any suggestions or wut u like?

dirtyolsouth said:
HI,

Nice gear and it sounds like fun bud. You're gonna love flowering with a 1K HPS...:hubba: Good thing you are getting your ventilation together because they really throw off a lot of heat. I use a 1K HPS in a closet grow and you can keep just about any space cool with robust ventilation.

You probably won't need any nutes in veg if you use FFOF soil when your babies get bigger and the Foxfarm nute lineup is a proven winner. I suggest that you use both Tiger Bloom (base bloom nute) and Big Bloom together per the Foxfarm soil feeding rates to get the most out of your plants. If you use only Big Bloom they will be lacking the main bloom base nutrient. If you want to use only one nute go with the Tiger Bloom as rather than the Big Bloom but ideally both work very well together.

Happy Growing!:cool:

hey,

dirtyolsouth thanks man.. yea like i said any help is very much appreciated.. i actually was lookin into tiger bloom as well.. i actually read a thread not to long ago where some1 was talkin bout how good it was for them.. jus curious becuz this will b my first grow with my system, about how big is ur space in comparison to mine? and would two 8 inch fans and a mounted oscilating fan b sufficiant along with the air duct runnin out the room? wut kinda temps will i b expecting.. srry for all the questions.. jus want to b extra prepd and ready

HI,

No worries, bud... glad to help! Do you have an air cooled hood or a cool tube for your 1K hps? That's the best tip I can give you is to design your ventilation system around an air cooled hood or a cool tube so you can pull the heat off the light and blow it out of your grow room. I live in the humid south and it also takes a window a/c unit to keep the bedroom my grow closet is in around 70 degrees. I have a 2 x 4 x 8 closet with a 1K hps and a 6 bulb 4 foot T5 fluoro fixture for side lighting mounted on my back wall. My 1K is in a cool tube and I use a 6" 630 cfm Eclipse inline fan to pull the air first thru a carbon filter to remove odor and then thru the cool tube and I blow it into my attic. I have a 4" intake hole and as long as I keep my bedroom temps 70 or lower the fan pulling all that air out of my closet creates suction that pulls cool air in from the bedroom and the closet stays around 75º... If temps get really hot and sticky I take a piece of 4" duct into my intake and I blow cool a/c air into the closet to keep temps in the low to mid 70's. You might consider going with larger fans, even cheap box fans but oscillating fans are great if you can afford a decent one and the bigger the better. Plenty of fans will keep lots of air movement going in your grow room which helps keep temps more consistent throughout your room, makes your garden less hospitable for bugs, helps your plants strengthen and transpire and also make a lot of noise...:p Anyhooo.... probably the best thing for you to do is set up your gear and see how warm it gets in your grow room with that 1K. I'd think a small room would heat up in the 90s before too long without venting the heat off of the hood. There are so many strains out there to choose from... Hmmm... AK is an easy to grow good yielding strain and there are some great C99 back cross strains to look at as well.

Peace!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
HI,

No worries, bud... glad to help! Do you have an air cooled hood or a cool tube for your 1K hps? That's the best tip I can give you is to design your ventilation system around an air cooled hood or a cool tube so you can pull the heat off the light and blow it out of your grow room. I live in the humid south and it also takes a window a/c unit to keep the bedroom my grow closet is in around 70 degrees. I have a 2 x 4 x 8 closet with a 1K hps and a 6 bulb 4 foot T5 fluoro fixture for side lighting mounted on my back wall. My 1K is in a cool tube and I use a 6" 630 cfm Eclipse inline fan to pull the air first thru a carbon filter to remove odor and then thru the cool tube and I blow it into my attic. I have a 4" intake hole and as long as I keep my bedroom temps 70 or lower the fan pulling all that air out of my closet creates suction that pulls cool air in from the bedroom and the closet stays around 75º... If temps get really hot and sticky I take a piece of 4" duct into my intake and I blow cool a/c air into the closet to keep temps in the low to mid 70's. You might consider going with larger fans, even cheap box fans but oscillating fans are great if you can afford a decent one and the bigger the better. Plenty of fans will keep lots of air movement going in your grow room which helps keep temps more consistent throughout your room, makes your garden less hospitable for bugs, helps your plants strengthen and transpire and also make a lot of noise...:p Anyhooo.... probably the best thing for you to do is set up your gear and see how warm it gets in your grow room with that 1K. I'd think a small room would heat up in the 90s before too long without venting the heat off of the hood. There are so many strains out there to choose from... Hmmm... AK is an easy to grow good yielding strain and there are some great C99 back cross strains to look at as well.

Peace!:cool:

all i have to say is jealous..lol.. jus playin man, cant wait to have my set-up so official and all the proper equipment..ya, its air cooled hood.. wut i was thinkin was when i hang the light ill run some duct out the door and i have a window rite outside the door that ill run it out..i too, would like to run it thru the attic.. but i dont own the home so dont wanna go against wut was said..i want to get a cfm fan to put on the system but again i dont have 150 bucks or more rite now to spend.. i kno it is quite the investment but in due time.. the carbon filters seem like a great idea.. didnt even think about that.. ya.. i still have to take the door to my room off to have it open the other way to make more room for the ladies when they are ready:hubba: .. so much preperation so little time..

so get my ventilation rite- check
look into carbon filters- check
get really stoned and watch my babies thrive- check check:D

the carbon filter wont do you any good with out the inline fan ...these are 2 investments you can't afford NOT to have. It will keep the temps down, and the smell.

If you take the door off of the grow...how will you maintain total darkness in the dark period? You can have no light leaks, or you could end up with he/shes...just some things to think about...that fan and filter is just part of the equipment that completes your air cooled reflector.

legalize_freedom said:
the carbon filter wont do you any good with out the inline fan ...these are 2 investments you can't afford NOT to have. It will keep the temps down, and the smell.

If you take the door off of the grow...how will you maintain total darkness in the dark period? You can have no light leaks, or you could end up with he/shes...just some things to think about...that fan and filter is just part of the equipment that completes your air cooled reflector.

hey LF... i do realize i need the carbon filter along wit the fan.. i was jus making a note on the things i do need to purchase.. not necessarily 1 without the other and if so i would def go wit the fan first.. and wut i meant about taking the door off to maximize my space.. the door opens into the room.. i merely want to switch the hinges to where i can pull open the door and its not goin into the room.. any suggestions on where to find a good decently priced fan?

Depending on room temps, you might be able to connect the filter on the hood itself and the fan pulling thru filter, hood, exhaust out. Can get away with 2 fans if money is tight.

I use CAP fans, there cheap, efficient, have good CFM per size.

flaboy88 said:
any suggestions on where to find a good decently priced fan?

There's an HTG Supply in Merrit Island, a Worm's in Tampa, Sunshine in O-Town. Don't know where you're at in the state though.

With caution, Craigslist can work out well. Don't write checks, don't get followed home, don't buy broken crap.

Can you do a DIY filter when that time comes? Unless I'm going completely crazy, I think someone had said you could use kitty-litter in a DIY. Anybody? Was I dreaming?

From another Floridian, you're gonna have heat and RH issues come this summer, so get ready.

Luck, peace.

PencilHead said:
There's an HTG Supply in Merrit Island, a Worm's in Tampa, Sunshine in O-Town. Don't know where you're at in the state though.

With caution, Craigslist can work out well. Don't write checks, don't get followed home, don't buy broken crap.

Can you do a DIY filter when that time comes? Unless I'm going completely crazy, I think someone had said you could use kitty-litter in a DIY. Anybody? Was I dreaming?

From another Floridian, you're gonna have heat and RH issues come this summer, so get ready.

Luck, peace.
ya, florida summers get HOOOTTTT.. keeping those temps cool is def a top priority.. i actually am about 20 min or so from worm's way.. but there is another hydro store called grace's nd i have been goin there.. 1 of my favorite places to go.. owners are awesome and always tryin to cut a deal.. ill def take a look at these things next time im there.:D

hey every1.. so nothin big.. jus wanted to retract my last statement of planting 12 seeds and only gettin 11 sprouts.. 12th one jus came out the ground today... HECKKKK YESSS!! 12 for 12.. how u like them apples.. lol.. happy growing to every1

flaboy88 said:
ya, florida summers get HOOOTTTT.. keeping those temps cool is def a top priority.. i actually am about 20 min or so from worm's way.. but there is another hydro store called grace's nd i have been goin there.. 1 of my favorite places to go.. owners are awesome and always tryin to cut a deal.. ill def take a look at these things next time im there.:D

Yo man I was at grace's today and it's looking like you could get a 50 dollar duct fan with pretty good CFM and the heating duct their is like $15 for 25ft. I'll get that for my system when tax rebate come's.

hugs4nuggs420 said:
Yo man I was at grace's today and it's looking like you could get a 50 dollar duct fan with pretty good CFM and the heating duct their is like $15 for 25ft. I'll get that for my system when tax rebate come's.

yo hugs good looking out.. i think u should do a lil smokey smoke wit me and we should go back up there and find out the pricing for the system.. o and btw, liking the green rep bars..lol

flaboy88 said:
yo hugs good looking out.. i think u should do a lil smokey smoke wit me and we should go back up there and find out the pricing for the system.. o and btw, liking the green rep bars..lol

I know man right I was surprised when I woke up and saw that this morning. Yea man def roll up some blunts later. Got class at 2 but i'll come over after that and we'll hit up grace's.

you need to have a fan that is built to pull through a carbon filter...I've never seen one for 50 bucks...if your looking at just a regular inline fan...thats not going to cut it. You need something that is built for the job, and this is not an area to cut corners....trust me I tried and failed miserably! I had 2 of those inline duct booster fans...they sit in a pile of other stuff I wasted money on trying to cut corners. You don't need a brand name like Can or Vortex, they make some decent no name brands similar for less money...but the cans and vortex type fans are what you need for the job.

You want enough CFM to exchange all the air in your room 3-5 times per minute. I believe in overkill in this department...your plants need fresh air and the right temps, as much as they need light and water. If you try to skimp here you will only be hurting yourself.

I live in Michigan, where it's a lot cooler than florida, my grow is in my basement, where it stays a constant 60 some degrees. My first grow I tried to use those booster fans and was fighting 90+ degree temps daily, until I broke down and bought what I needed. Trust me on this guys...this is no place to cut corners.

Duct booster fans are good for just that--boosting. I tried a 8" for just some auxillary air and when I closed my room down, the fan would almost bog to a halt.

Get a good centrifugal fan--you'll need it.

legalize_freedom said:
you need to have a fan that is built to pull through a carbon filter...I've never seen one for 50 bucks...if your looking at just a regular inline fan...thats not going to cut it. You need something that is built for the job, and this is not an area to cut corners....trust me I tried and failed miserably! I had 2 of those inline duct booster fans...they sit in a pile of other stuff I wasted money on trying to cut corners. You don't need a brand name like Can or Vortex, they make some decent no name brands similar for less money...but the cans and vortex type fans are what you need for the job.

You want enough CFM to exchange all the air in your room 3-5 times per minute. I believe in overkill in this department...your plants need fresh air and the right temps, as much as they need light and water. If you try to skimp here you will only be hurting yourself.

I live in Michigan, where it's a lot cooler than florida, my grow is in my basement, where it stays a constant 60 some degrees. My first grow I tried to use those booster fans and was fighting 90+ degree temps daily, until I broke down and bought what I needed. Trust me on this guys...this is no place to cut corners.

Yea man thanks for confirming that, that was a conclusion I would prob have came to eventually. I'm slowly learning that their is absolutely no corners to cut in this business.

Forget it all I'm just gunna start putting bricks of dry ice all in my grow room lol. That should keep temps down!!

legalize_freedom said:

ya.. i have looked at a couple but they are ranging anywhere from 140-200+$$... no corners will b cut.. def will b investing in the filters aswell as the cfm fan.. 3-5 times a min huh.. is there a scecific 1 that pushes that or is it more so i have to take in account the size of my grow space?:bong:

Latest posts

Back