First time aero grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motul

Reaction score
Ok this is my first time aero grow and it seems a little harder to grow than soil. My ph is at around 5.8 and Tds is 400ppm at the moment. Just put the clones in a couple of days ago.
Using a Aeroflo2-60 but only using 30 sites to spce the girls out a bit. The nutes are GH and using at almost 1/4 strength. Airation via 10in stone.
Lighting is 1000 watt MH and a 400 watt LED.
Cooling the water with a water chiller to 65 deg and using 2 400 cfm inline fans to exchange fresh air to the room.
Room temp is around 84 deg, Hot as **** summer this year around 110 deg at times so it hard to keep things cool.
Inclosed are some pics if anyone cares to help it would be greatly appreciated.

IM001749.JPG

IM001750.JPG

IM001746.JPG

IM001751.JPG

IM001753.JPG

ThaT's The same uniT ThaT I use when I grew hydro. It works really good for sea of green. When the plants get bigger though it restricts hoW wide they can get. It was desIgned for the more export grower. Very touchy so be careful with newts. ThaT's 1 of The reasons I swiTch To soil, I also got tired of babysitting it. It is a great unit though. From start to Finish it's the Fastest. with this type of unit since it's so long. A light rAil works greAt if you use 1 light. Otherwise 2 lights wOuld wOrk better tO help prevent your growth from getting a dome shaped on the top. Good luck with it my friend I'll give you some green mojo to help you out

1 more thing since the tubes are right under the light the water in the tubes heated up ThaT creaTed a problem wiTh The reservoir getting too hot I solve that problem by getting some of the thin duct insulation with sticky tape on 1 side and the shiny material on the other that helped quite a bit for the the water temperature in the reservoir. When you Wrap the tubes just cut out the holes out With an exacto knife

I like yer setup, pretty cool. If I had a room that I could control well, I would like to try one of those. Yer girls look a little hungry for nitrogen. Clones can handle more nutrients faster than seedlings, so if they have rooted well already, you might want to up the ppm to 600 at this point, then in about 10days bump up again to 800. Then in 10 days, if they can handle it, go to 1000 and hold until you see how they will do. I have some that do nice at 900 and some that will take 1200ppm, so you have to find the level that works for them and carry that thru flower. Green grow mojo for your new grow :)

Looks like a nice set-up. However, that looks like an awfully large room for a 1000W light...how large a space are you running there? A 1000W is only going to be good for about 28-30 sq ft space. Unless the LED is right on top of the plants (and blocking out the light from the HID), I don't see it being much help.

Yep theY're lacking light. What nutrients are you using

Running GH nutes at the moment. The normal 3 part. The room is 6ft X 10 ft.
The LED is a high output light that is supposed to be just abt the same as 1000 watts of output.
Its abt 2 foot from the plants and the MH is around 4 feet from them using a Hortilux eye bulb.
I put a 150ml of ca/mag in them today cus they looks a little mag deficient.
PPM is at 560 at the moment.

I do have a couple of 4ft 4 bulb HO floros I could use also. Guess it wouldnt hurt.

Motul said:
Running GH nutes at the moment. The normal 3 part. The room is 6ft X 10 ft.
The LED is a high output light that is supposed to be just abt the same as 1000 watts of output.
Its abt 2 foot from the plants and the MH is around 4 feet from them using a Hortilux eye bulb.
I put a 150ml of ca/mag in them today cus they looks a little mag deficient.
PPM is at 560 at the moment.

Unfortunately, just because the LED salespeople say that they are supposed to be like a 1000W does not make them so....and they aren't. Most of the people selling LEDs should be ashamed of themselves. They are not simply exaggerating claims, they are lying.

If this were my grow, I would be for getting the size of the room down to about 30 sq ft. or picking up another 1000W HID light (which you will need for flowering). You are really underlit and the LED is not going to help that much, especially 2' above the plants. I believe that the T5 will help. However the trouble with getting a different mix of lights in your space like this is that the T5 and the LED need to be right on top of the plants--I'm talking 1-2", not 2 feet. However, if you do that, you are going to be shading the light from the MH that has to be kept higher.

I really doubt that they could be mag deficient at this size. I didn't ever have to add Cal-Mag with my GH3 part until flowering.

:goodposting:

I agree with THG on everything she mentioned in the above post.

You will see a vast improvement if you follow her advice.imo

GH 3 pArt is lacking in magnesium a little.. After I mix the nutes in the reservoir I would AlwAys Add A little bit of epson sAlt but this doesn't look like a mag deficiency. it looks a little like nute burn but you're nutes are low. I've got a question for you. You said the hYdro sYstem is new. when you took it out of the box and assembled it did you clean it real good before you assemble it. When I got my system it had a little bit of oil or something on the inside of the tubes and I cleaned it out with a solution of bleach in water and rinsed it real good. Maybe this could be soMething that was in the tubes when it was new and burning the plants.

Thanks for the posts:
I cleaned the res and grow chambers before I used them. There are a couple of plants that look a little rough but the other are turning nice and green with new growth. The only thing that seems to be the problem is my ph is at 5.8 one day and the next will be at 6.2. not a ton diffrence but seems a bit odd.
I do have anouther 1000 watt light I can use but wanted to keep the heat signature down a bit and the electric bill. I did have at one time 4 1000 watters in this room, and a wopping electric bill to follow..lol!

Okay great. You clean it real good that's good. I'm just trying to troubleshoot this. that last pic I could not see real well get a little more lot on it bro.

Motul said:
Thanks for the posts:
I cleaned the res and grow chambers before I used them. There are a couple of plants that look a little rough but the other are turning nice and green with new growth. The only thing that seems to be the problem is my ph is at 5.8 one day and the next will be at 6.2. not a ton diffrence but seems a bit odd.
I do have anouther 1000 watt light I can use but wanted to keep the heat signature down a bit and the electric bill. I did have at one time 4 1000 watters in this room, and a wopping electric bill to follow..lol!

Actually, there is a huge difference between a pH of 5.8 and 6.2--the pH scale is like the Richter scale in that it is expotential. The pH range for hydro should be kept between 5.3 and 6.0. IMO you need a little drift to make sure that all nutrients are taken up. How are you mixing your nutes? How are you pHing the solution? What are you using to measure pH?

Don't worry about heat signature--that is a groundless worry. The extra electricity you pay for is a small trade off for the increased yield that adding the other 1000W will give you. I am running a 1000W in a 3 x 6.5' space and a 600W in a 2 x 4 space and don't feel overlit.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, there is a huge difference between a pH of 5.8 and 6.2--the pH scale is like the Richter scale in that it is expotential. The pH range for hydro should be kept between 5.3 and 6.0. IMO you need a little drift to make sure that all nutrients are taken up. How are you mixing your nutes? How are you pHing the solution? What are you using to measure pH?

Don't worry about heat signature--that is a groundless worry. The extra electricity you pay for is a small trade off for the increased yield that adding the other 1000W will give you. I am running a 1000W in a 3 x 6.5' space and a 600W in a 2 x 4 space and don't feel overlit.

All I do is add the nutes via a measure cup one at a time,I dont mix them together.
I'm using a PH 600 pen to measure my ph and calibrate it with 7.0 solution.
I'm going to replace the LED with my other 1000 watter. I believe the MH is way better light. I think the LED's are way hyped up. payed almost $1000.00 for the thing.

Make sure you add the Micro first, then you can add either the grow or bloom, but the micro needs to go in first or the other nutrients can get locked out. It is also a good idea to let the solution sit overnight (or 12 hours or so) before you pH it.

I think you will be a lot better off with the 1000W in there. I agree that the LEDs are way hyped up and overpriced. Those salespeople probably would have been selling snake oil had they been born 100 years earlier.

Latest posts

Back