First time grower ! Any tips and advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You mean well and are growing.

The thing is, If you disturb the roots you are going to have shock.

There was a grower earlier that I wanted to try to attempt at least to transplant some hydroponic plants that got way too big way too fast.

in his system those plants really needed to go into another hydroponic set up. I was really praying that he would be able to take those plants out and put them into another set up. I have no idea if they will survive or not. But I do know I will be very upset if they don’t.

If you try to pull your plants out and then mix up some fresh soil you are taking the risk they might die and you’ll have nothing left.

That is your option

With indica plants, I use Ocean Forest for sprouts, everything with no issues.

I did find their other soil a little hot on indica sprouts, but they survived it. As others say, may depend on age of bag and possibly the mix? My store runs out of OF regularly, so it's likely fresh, but once in a while I will get it on line, who knows then.

Bubba
Germinating with hot soil can be a double-edged sword. Some seedlings will be damaged by it, and they may correct themselves or not. But the ones that survive thrive. My biggest plant is 17 or 18 days old now. My oldest plants are all around 30-days-old. This one I germinated in hot soil is about 10x bigger than my oldest ones. I also have a 10-day-old sprout that I germinated in hot soil, and it is on par to catch up to the other one. My soil has the following:
Bat guano
Worm manure
Ground egg shells
Bone meal
Kelp meal
Alfalfa meal
Coco choir
I feel like there is omething else, but I can't remember :)

P.s.I think this guy has got clones, not seedlings, no??? I think hot soil would be very bad for cloning.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. You mean well and are growing.

The thing is, If you disturb the roots you are going to have shock.

There was a grower earlier that I wanted to try to attempt at least to transplant some hydroponic plants that got way too big way too fast.

in his system those plants really needed to go into another hydroponic set up. I was really praying that he would be able to take those plants out and put them into another set up. I have no idea if they will survive or not. But I do know I will be very upset if they don’t.

If you try to pull your plants out and then mix up some fresh soil you are taking the risk they might die and you’ll have nothing left.

That is your option

I got some plants unexpectedly for my birthday ... I wanted to actually PREPARE before even attempting to grow . Still in the process of buying more equipment as well. Will not be using hot soil for germination/seedlings/clones.

Good for you Ghost. I read 2 books and got lot of help on a site (Daily Buds) before attempting to grow. I had both tents set up and running before getting my first clones. Because of this my first grow was a success. Oh can't leave out the grow store. Those people have become friends and I think I spent more time there than at home during that first grow.

Germinating with hot soil can be a double-edged sword. Some seedlings will be damaged by it, and they may correct themselves or not. But the ones that survive thrive. My biggest plant is 17 or 18 days old now. My oldest plants are all around 30-days-old. This one I germinated in hot soil is about 10x bigger than my oldest ones. I also have a 10-day-old sprout that I germinated in hot soil, and it is on par to catch up to the other one. My soil has the following:
Bat guano
Worm manure
Ground egg shells
Bone meal
Kelp meal
Alfalfa meal
Coco choir
I feel like there is omething else, but I can't remember :)

P.s.I think this guy has got clones, not seedlings, no??? I think hot soil would be very bad for cloning.
sulfur. the thing i couldn't remember is sulfur

I use perlite, it drains and keeps things dry. Vermiculite retains water.....root rot. IMO. To me Ocean Forest is to HOT for starts. Maybe cut it by 50% with a medium that has nothing in it.
I find vermiculite holds water like you say, so I too use perlite to mix with soil. Vermiculite, I use by itself, wet in a Dixie cup to stick clone cuts in. Set them in obscure corners of tent for less light. If they cont to live, they have roots. If not, they croak. Most make it.

Bubba

I guess vermiculite works for me so well because I am growing outside in a hot climate in clay pots, which are very breathable.

I hate to tell you this brother but your making all the mistakes, some of the very same ones I did 20yrs ago....

Stay away from clay pots.. for one they get hot and will cook your roots, another is it's difficult to control the moisture level with them, better off just using cheap plastic nursery pots... start in 1gal, up pot to 3 or 5.. I put med rocks in my larger pot bottoms to improve drainage...

Your way over thinking all your soil and plant needs.... Keep using your FFOF mix, but try getting a bag of their Coir based mediums and mix it 50/50.. Nothing else, no extra perlite is needed, no horrible vermiculite that is dangerous to your lungs while mixing it in... and it compacts, not good... just not needed either... KISS.. keep it simple silly..

good soil like that, good seeds, water.... feed 1/4 strength till you get better at this.. you seem like your trying to many things early on that are just not needed to do a successful grow, but cause you more headaches..

note: Problem with plants stressed very bad in early veg, they tend to throw hermie traits in early flower screwing up an entire grow or plant... so keep an eye out for nanners.. I'd start a new batch using the KISS method myself but best of luck man..

This is my Banana OG bx2 Auto 30 days into flower and growing it under 12/12... 1.5gal oxy pot in Foxfarm
Strawberry Fields soil...

20210706_032100.jpg

Latest posts

Back