First time growing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trede

Reaction score
So, I finally decided to get off my lazy rear and try growing a couple of plants. I have 2 clones in my grow tent (48"x48"x78"tall), currently lit by a fluorescent (T5), 2 full spectrum LEDs (90W) and 2 14W CFLs (each plant has 1 LED and 1 CFL on it). As of this post (and these pics), I have had the clones for 1 week. One is Jack Herer (green pot) and the other is Chemdog/dawg (orange pot). They seem generally healthy, but I noticed the very tips of some of their leaves are brown, couple yellowish spots on the chem. Figured I'd see if anyone had any advice beyond just keeping an eye on it at this point. Any advice/feedback is greatly appreciated!

Chem-1.jpg

Chem-2.jpg

Jack-1.jpg

Jack-2.jpg

Typically that tip burn is from too high nutrients(nitrogen mostly) in the soil. I hope you aren't using miracle grow soil. That stuff kills as much MJ as LEO. When first setting clones in soil, they need very mild nutes for a week so that the roots can acclimate. Then you can gradually increase the nutes. If you are going into organic soil, it may be too rich which will cause the same problem.

It is your call at this point to either wait and see if the burn is only mild and stops(this happens half the time) or continues to worsen, requiring you to flush out some of the nutes, or go ahead and flush them now to prevent further damage to the leaves and roots.

MY opinion? if you are in MG soil that is prenuted, then flush it out good and then get some ZHO(beneficial microbes) and a good organic tea and go from there in full organics.

Make sure that you keep the lights on 24/7 and get them down close to the plants so that they can soak up all of the light energy they can :)

The lights were back a bit for the pics, but usually each plant has 3 lights within a couple inches of it. T5 across the top of both, CFL on one side, LED on the other. They've been getting rotated 90degrees every day to even things out. There's also music playing (can't hurt, right?), an oscillating fan to keep them dancing a bit, and I mist the leaves a bit once a day when I go in to rotate them etc. Also forgot to mention, it's pretty steadily 75-79F with ~42-46% humidity.

All of that is good, its just the soil that's the issue at this point. I saw in a close-up that the soil IS prenuted with time release nutes. I hope it works ok for you but more often than not the time release ferts are too strong in some areas and too weak in other areas for MJ. Not to say it can't be done, there are some who have successfully grown in MG soil but its harder than using the correct soil for MJ. :)

Latest posts

Back