first try - any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eggman said:
Never put a bucket of fruit in with your plants! You may as well put dog shit or a dead rat in there.
i think i misinformed all of you with my "homemade fly trap". yes, i do have a bucket of rotting fruit in my grow-room. i have put a layer of saran wrap over the top of the bucket (like a cover). in the saran wrap, i have made tiny holes so the flies can get into the bucket. since the flies are dumb, they cannot escape from the bucket the same way that the got in. here's a drawing that may explain it better than i do...

fly-trap.jpg

anyway: i have no more fruit flies.

GanjaGuru said:
-Transplant to bigger containers, 2 gal. at least.
i was planning on doing that soon, but i'll do it today instead. since my current grow room is so small, should i kill some of my plants? i will not be able to fit 12 2 gal. containers in my closet...

GanjaGuru said:
-Install more light. Rule of thumb is 6000+ lumens per sq/ft of growing space. Lumen output is usually printed on the bulb.
money is tight, but i'll see what i can do about getting some more light.

GanjaGuru said:
-Stick an oscillating fan in there to strengthen the stems.
does it have to be an oscillating fan? i don't have any of them in the house.

GanjaGuru said:
-Install some sort of ventilation.
that i will not be able to do until i move them to my attic. the only reason i haven't moved them there yet is, there is no electricity there and i've got basically no money.

i know this is off topic but why is miracle grow so bad for MJ?

Eggman said:
The attached pictures are my last crop at 2 weeks before harvest. That's 4 plants.. See how full that is. Your 10 plants are looking pretty slender.
there is no attactment.

I threw a picture in the post... Sorry about that. It got rejected because I didn't read the limitations.

Good idea with that bucket. Glad it cleared the problem up. I grw up in the city and a bucket of old friut as a fly catcher never crossed my path. Again, nice idea.

" i was planning on doing that soon, but i'll do it today instead. since my current grow room is so small, should i kill some of my plants? i will not be able to fit 12 2 gal. containers in my closet...?
-Well, killing them is an option.
Last year, when faced with too many plants, I left 8 plants in 6" containers on a street corner in the middle of the night.

An oscillating fan is superior. With a fixed fan the plants will be permanentlybent over; you'll have to change the direction/location every day or 2.

More light and ventilation will greatly increase your yield.
If you give your plants for example 3000 lumens per sq/ft, you'll only end up with half as much weed as with with 6000 l.p.s.f.
And pot grown under low lights will not be nearly as potent.

Generally speaking, the more you spend on optimizing your grow you'll make back on your very first harvest.
A used 400 watt HPS can be purchased for as little of $75.00 via e-bay or from growshops.
Ventilation costs about $30.00 for 2 bathroom exhaust-type fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust) and about an hours labor with a drill, sabre saw and screwdriver.

Ganja, that's awesome. We leave them in the mail boxes of people we don't like. just remember to wear gloves.

Latest posts

Back