Floodtable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHODAT

Reaction score
When growing on a table will the results be similar if I was to use 4" Rockwool alone or Rockwool inside pots w/ hydroton?

Because of the wicking action of rockwool, the entire cube will be moist with nutrient rich water and also be hit with light. This spells algae. Algae will rip off your nutes and throw off the pH of your grow. If you use rockwool, it needs to be completely buried in some sort of media or cover like black plastic. If that is done, it creates a root zone free of algae and light. Regardless of your media, this type of root zone needs to happen. With only hydroton, your fill level has to be about 2 inches below the top of the hydroton or it will also grow algae.

PieRsquare said:
Because of the wicking action of rockwool, the entire cube will be moist with nutrient rich water and also be hit with light. This spells algae. Algae will rip off your nutes and throw off the pH of your grow. If you use rockwool, it needs to be completely buried in some sort of media or cover like black plastic. If that is done, it creates a root zone free of algae and light. Regardless of your media, this type of root zone needs to happen. With only hydroton, your fill level has to be about 2 inches below the top of the hydroton or it will also grow algae.
Man, thanx for the reply.

WHODAT said:
When growing on a table will the results be similar if I was to use 4" Rockwool alone or Rockwool inside pots w/ hydroton?

It will depend on your plant size imo. I have had many succesful gardens just flooding 4x4 cubes, but they were flowered out no more then 6-8"

If you are going to have less plants and get tehm a little bigger, then a pot with shreaded rockwool will work best.

As fara s algea, what Pie says does hold true. But ,imo, there is no need for black plastic or the like IF you get your canopy "full" enough. For me, I do get a little algea on the top of the rockwool pots for a week or so, until the canopy "fills". Once that happens, the algea will die off due to lack of light.

Each garden and method will be different, so use what works best for you.

i like to see no algae at all so i like always burrying the cube, i guess i could get the same effect by using a cover for the cube but its just the way i do it :)

they also sell plastic and neoprene caps for the 4" cube and for 6" blocks. the cap goes on right away and keeps algae at bay. they are a one time purchase as they are reuseable. in answer to the original question, i have had better results using the 4" block instead of a block in a pot with some pellets added. i find that roots that have something solid to grow into produce stronger, more vigorous growth. i will stack a block on top another( or onto a cut piece of rockwool slab) if needed for growth, i just give it a few days to root before i move it. good luck. happy growing.

i bought a 3/4" 4x8 sheet of foam insulation to make a tray lid out of...i cut multiple holes to fit 5" net pots that i fill with hydroton and place my rooter plugs with sprouts in them into the hydroton..having the cover over the tray not only keeps it 100% algea free but is keeps other crap out as well making cleaning easy as pie. as you can see in the pics, the lids is sturdy and the roots are very clean and happy. i had a hell of an algea problem before i made the lid..the foam is $11 a sheet at home depot and very easy to cut. the lid also holds the pots about an inch off the bottom of the tray allowing slightly more root growth;)

31 days 008.JPG

29 days 009.JPG

Latest posts

Back