Flowering and new fan leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
I'm under the impression that new fan leaves grow only during the vegetative growth cycle. What about during the early flowering cycle? Do plants grow new fan leaves during early flowering? The reason I ask is because one of my plants has been sick (over-fertilization I believe) and as a result I've removed a bunch of sick leaves. I hope to correct the problem before too long.

I'm pretty sure new leaves will not appear, but maybe someone here might know when MJ stops growing new leaves?

Your help is appreciated,

Alistair

Your plant grows alot once in 12/12, lots of leaves should form if you got your problem solved.

Thanks Growdude. My plants have been in flowering for 11 days now. I should have mentioned that from the get-go. I just ran a couple of gallons of RO water through my plant's soil in an effort to flush out excess nutes. When am I'm going to learn not to overdo the ferts! Crazy, I can't believe that I haven't learned the lesson yet.

Well, I'm glad to know that she will sport some more leaves. How long can MJ grow new leaves during this cycle?

the 'drawback' I would think, would be in the fact that she will now expend energy, attempting to reproduce the leaves that you pulled off, rather than directed at flowering.
There is "no good" reason, to remove any leaves that still are photosynthesising. Only if they are "dead", dead...IMO

Thanks Hick,

I've always read not to remove the leaves, but because they look so ugly and tired I tend to pluck them. I figure that even though not dead, they must have trouble doing photosynthesis, so I pluck them anyway.

Oh! If the leaves aren't plucked will the plant grow new leaves anyway? Or, does the plant in this stage tend to only replace dead or plucked leaves?

Thanks again, I'll keep this advice in mind for future reference.

Lets see a picture, all this talk of plucking got me picturing your plant like a cartoon chicken your holding over a fire by the neck. :p

Well, I just returned the camera that I was using to post pics. I can borrow it again, so then I can show you the plant to which I'm referring and the rest of the family.

A cartoon chicken! Now that's funny! It doesn't look quite that bad. Let's put it this way. Before it was bushy, and now it's thinned out. It went from having big hair to "I just got my haircut" look. It doesn't look bad, but I hope this morning's flushing took care of the problem. Actually, yesterday I fed it about 3 quarts of RO water with Clearex, and today I decided that it needed a real good flushing.

Growdude said:
Lets see a picture, all this talk of plucking got me picturing your plant like a cartoon chicken your holding over a fire by the neck. :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

uh oh, ok, this is my first time growing and i only have one really nice plant....so my 24 year old son comes over the other day and starts plucking what he calls "suckers" off my plant...the very large leaves that have no buds, so dummy that i am, i went and plucked a lot more cuz i want to bring it in the house and i figure i can fit it in better if its not too big..(sunny windows are scarce) .the reasoning behind the plucking was that they suck energy from the growing buds...is it gonna be ok?:eek:

pinkpetals61 said:
uh oh, ok, this is my first time growing and i only have one really nice plant....so my 24 year old son comes over the other day and starts plucking what he calls "suckers" off my plant...the very large leaves that have no buds, so dummy that i am, i went and plucked a lot more cuz i want to bring it in the house and i figure i can fit it in better if its not too big..(sunny windows are scarce) .the reasoning behind the plucking was that they suck energy from the growing buds...is it gonna be ok?:eek:

What you have taken off is the plants energy power plant, its means of absorbing light so it can produce vital energy to live, never take leaves off unless absolutely neccesary, have you got any pictures of what you have done?

If you have got pictures, I suggest you start a thread in the 'Indoor Growers section' and show us the damage, you should have come and asked us first before you took leaves off, have you got a relative called Melissa?

i dont have any pictures, i'm computer stupid and dont know how to do that.
now i'm really scared, i had to bring it in because of nosey neighbors and now its not getting as much light as it did. wow, what a dummy...is there anything i can do to help my poor plant?

Latest posts

Back