Flowering with CFL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplefingers

Reaction score
Anyone tried flowering with CFL's? I am trying out 1 plant and I am wondering whats the difference if I flower with 1 x 100-150watt HPS or a couple of CFL's . I figured since its only 1 plant, perhaps I could get away with CFL's?

Yes you can flower with CFL's I flowered over an ounce off 3 42w actual watts of CFL's in a tiny cab. training is a must. I went bonzai and topping shorter veg period and different strains. i never run just 1 strain. always at least 3 going. these were ADxGB JFxCh and NL i think....long time ago. but could do 1-2 female LST or scrog too. micro is hard tho ;) that was 5 plants in 1'x2"x30" tall the plants themselves only 9-10" tall got some decent sized nugs...not as tight as with an HPS but very very smokable ;)

This was a couple of years ago when i came outa shut down period. using bigger now LOL and planning on going bigger by next spring. :hubba:

So plan ahead like :48:

IMG_2082.JPG

i'm not sure how successful i'll be but im flowerin wit 16 26 actual watts cfl's at 1750 lumens each 2700k and they all traind like good lil.... :giggle: female dogs lol
and im keepin them down. if ya got the time ya can follow my grow an see in bout 2-2 n half months wat my harvest is like. just started 12/12 on 4-21 i missed 4-20 lol they were bout 4 weeks vegged an so far 4 have shown female an 1 male. also closeup pic of they sexual junk in current journal in signature.

MUTT<<<< them the plants in the pic u got that good ounce off of usin cfl's? ya give me some hope on this flowerin wit the cfl gig. my space is only 2.5' x 3' x 3ft tall. n im still waitin on 7 more to show female yet. i hope they ladies anyway lol
an when did yu startya 12/12 on that grow then?

how long did ya veg for OZZY? i went 12/12 right at about 4 weeks veg.

ZipFlip: 4 weeks. but couple of the strains took 10+ weeks of flower. Got to be hell at the end with probs. but it all finished up.

MUTT<<<<<probs? like wat sort probs. maybe i can forsee somethin comin in my grow wit some insight from urs. do u got ajournal on this particular grow by chance?

Same here. I can't post everything about my grow due to betting with uncle about grow. 4 weeks veg 9 week flowering. One thing I would tell anyone useing CFL's is to use lots of fans there is a lot of heat given off by CFL's. change the air as often as possiable.

:yeahthat: i second that on the fans an heat. especially wit the number of cfl's i got goin now. i got total of 2 4 inch high velocity fans one blowin down the line of the bulbs ballasts. a 4 inch puter fan suckin air from under the hood for the cfl's blowin upward toward my exhaust. an another 4inch high vel fan at plant top level more as well as a second small plastic desk fan on them
and i still almost have to open my grows door a few times durrin lites on just ta keep it cooled right at 80F even.
if i had more mulah for a better exhaust and intake fan set up i'm sure i could get better rsults but im doin all i can wit wat have for now.

what if you had 2 100watt cfls that replace a 600watt standard bulb that are dual spec. and put out 7000 lummens each. in a 2sqft grow space?
thats just a way if. i only have one like that and it puts out very little heat you can take the bulb out by hand after a month off 24/7 use.

i was running 3 65w actual cfl bloom spectrum for about 3 weeks it did ok about a week ago i switched to a 400w HPS and have already noticed a difference in growth but hey they work excellent IMO for veg. good luck

Mutt said:
Yes you can flower with CFL's I flowered over an ounce off 3 42w actual watts of CFL's in a tiny cab. training is a must. I went bonzai and topping shorter veg period and different strains. i never run just 1 strain. always at least 3 going. these were ADxGB JFxCh and NL i think....long time ago. but could do 1-2 female LST or scrog too. micro is hard tho ;) that was 5 plants in 1'x2"x30" tall the plants themselves only 9-10" tall got some decent sized nugs...not as tight as with an HPS but very very smokable ;)

This was a couple of years ago when i came outa shut down period. using bigger now LOL and planning on going bigger by next spring. :hubba:

So plan ahead like :48:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.I am running a total of 66 actual Watts with this one plant.Vegetation at week 5. How do I keep it from shooting up? You mentioned topping? how do i do this? Sorry I am new at this.Attached is a picture of my white widow.Its 16 inches in height now.

week5.jpg

you need more light. alot more
read up on topping its great.
i usually top my plants around 1ft in height.
good luck

sorry, its stretching BECAUSE you need more light.
didnt mention that. when the plants are lacking light
they stretch to try and find some. so you need more bro.
3000 lumens (term for light output) per square feet at least during vegging.
then at least 5000w per square feet in flowering. remember, per square foot.
oh, and tons and tons of people use cfls for the entire grow.
it definitly works. but an hps works GREAT!
later.

Topping you can find in the resource section friend, that will produce a shorter plant with multiple cola's.
Also in resources ( i think lol ) is pinching.
An excellent way to keep the height down and strengthen the stem.
Be aware though that this sort of training needs to be done in veg and not flower.
The added stress in flower can cause the plant to hermi.
I had a cutting herm and i think topping and LST during first two weeks of flower had a part to play, amongst other things lol :)
Oh yeah and as TheDon say you need more light and keep em real close

Topped it . Here are the pics of it.Think she's ready for flowering? How many 24watt(actual watt)warm white CFLs will i need to flower this one plant? or should I go for one 100W HPS? or do I still need a 150w HPS?

week6a.jpg

week6b.jpg

Yes, she's ready to flower (alternating node growth). Looks like a Sativa dominant strain, so expect a lot more vertical growth in flower, and possibly a long flower cycle. She definetly looks like she could use more lumens.

give her some time to recover after chopping one of her limbs off
before flowering her.

Latest posts

Back