Flowering with CFL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
purplefingers<<<<<<<
if wat ya said is true an precise i would say you over dosed the N part almost for sure. and ya said normal organic premix soil...? brand is it? does it have any added slow release ferts to it too. if it has any good N qualities in the soil itself then yes you are definately overdosin them wit N. i'm learnin now you have to know what is in ya soil at all times and what your puttin in exactly
also how old are they? cuz most organic soils will an should supply your plant with enough nutrients for at very least few weeks i would say. maybe more dependin on size of plant etc... and if you been givin any nutes while there still natural nutes in the soil left to burn ya gonna overdo it. "know ya soil"

zipflip said:
at the moment i just dot feel as skilled an confident to have a dire need to grab a 150-200 plus $$ light set up. just not yet anyways.
also im certain theres alot an many of us current growers who werent sure of the growin thing at first try either. and im sure some have gave up an walked away. now i'd hate to go buy all hi dollar equip my first time an decide it wasnt for me and be out that muych money for nothin.
and im sure thats the same wit many who use cfl's. most are new and dont know better such as myself even. an spite all i or anyone may read sometimes. that curiousity is still there an ya just have to do it in order to actually know it for yourself.
and probabaly most cant afford a hps or mh at first
i mean anyone can rag on me an express all the facts an opinions they want of cfl's vs hps. its still not gonna change the fact that i already have money invested in cfl's im gonna use em a lil at least an just see for myself.
but also from wat i gather an wat i am seein so far with my lights(cfl's is that if done right and able to control the heat to keep that many lumens output goin... ya can still get good/decent results. and for a beginner on a tight budget etc.. thats still alot further to bein on top of the world feelin than ya were before. and also im sure is wat has inspired most of you who have also upgraded to do just that....

$150-$200 is not a lot of money for a light when you look at it relatively. That is less than a half ounce of great herb in my area, something that could be done 10 times over...and over...and over...and over...every single grow with a light that costs the same price. Yes people invest a little money and if they don't like it they walk away, but if these people did invest in the HPS lights they might not have ended up walking away after using CFL's. I could either spend $200 a week on a half ounce of great herb (yes I know I am a heavy smoker), or I could spend $200 on a light once, and be set for life (with the exception of bulb and perhaps eventually ballast replacement). You know the old saying, teach a man to fish...

But to each his own. I have flowered with both and the difference is not even close. Lots more trichs, lots more dense growth, bigger buds, the list goes on.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
I think if you can upgrade and use 50+% or more. Sacrificing a few lumens doesnt matter.

maybe so but im thinkin that then your definately gonna run into some major heat issues the more you add with cfls. trust me but ya dont have to take my word for it but wit 16 cfl's for a 2.5x3x3.5foot grow space which im gettin 28000 lumens at current i still cant close my door or it'll climb over 90 even upward to 100 degrees. and it not even in 60's yet outside. i'll definately be gettin an hps tho soon.

NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
$150-$200 is not a lot of money for a light when you look at it relatively. That is less than a half ounce of great herb in my area, something that could be done 10 times over...and over...and over...and over...every single grow with a light that costs the same price. Yes people invest a little money and if they don't like it they walk away, but if these people did invest in the HPS lights they might not have ended up walking away after using CFL's. I could either spend $200 a week on a half ounce of great herb (yes I know I am a heavy smoker), or I could spend $200 on a light once, and be set for life (with the exception of bulb and perhaps eventually ballast replacement). You know the old saying, teach a man to fish...

But to each his own. I have flowered with both and the difference is not even close. Lots more trichs, lots more dense growth, bigger buds, the list goes on.

no no i totally agree with you and understand. i'm just tryin to say that proble most if not all who usin cfl's to flower are either experts in it an choose to do it that way, or add as supplemental lighting along wit hps.mh lights or are flat out beginners who dont know better and even tho cost effieciency would suggest that an hps is better in the long run/end result. most of us dont have that kinda long run money to spend now to save later. so we either have to be patient and save an wait to grow or first give it a cheap shot at it wit old cfl's just to see if its for you or not/.
but mostly i think its more a thing where even tho it saves in the end to splurge now. most of us are paychek to paychek people and not bein able to afford street prices hence whats drivin most to grow in the first place. so they make do wit it but when anyone of us have sen the difference wat cfl's can do first hand an then see some grown wit hps then its alot more easier in mind and tehres more drive to get that hps then.
like myself. im seein wt my cfl's are doin. and yes they are buddin etc. but seeing this wit my very eyes here and seein others grown wit hps. i'd say i'm sold on the hpss. just savin for one now. $ is very tight these days here.
ya said You know the old saying, teach a man to fish...
well u knwo the old sayin. you canlead a horse to water but you cant make him drink?
just gotta have that thirst for the hps before most of us actually go out n get one. lol

zipflip said:
maybe so but im thinkin that then your definately gonna run into some major heat issues the more you add with cfls. trust me but ya dont have to take my word for it but wit 16 cfl's for a 2.5x3x3.5foot grow space which im gettin 28000 lumens at current i still cant close my door or it'll climb over 90 even upward to 100 degrees. and it not even in 60's yet outside. i'll definately be gettin an hps tho soon.

But the thing is Zip. Some of these 90watt UFOs are only producing 900-1200 red lumens. And you can get a decent (maybe not great) grow out of them.
You take the right colored CFL and do that. You wouldnt need near 16 running. Maybe like 5 or 6 to put a UFO to shame. Couple reds, a blue, and a couple full spec. And youd dominate a 90watt UFO. And not have near as much heat as running 16 bulbs.

if i ever have money to play round with in future maybe i'll build a small box an throw a bunch them red ones in there with a couple soft white ones . but doubt i'll have playin money for while lol

Latest posts

Back