For those that make ro water, i have a question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JBonez

Hello, just wondering if you guys are having the same "problem" i am, lol.

I built a very redundant and custom ro unit.

After the the water is processed, the ph is 4.9 which i dont find to be a problem, i read that pure water will assimilate with the nearest abundant ph buffer, in my waters case, co2 (carbonic acid)

So, here is my question,

When you guys top up your res, Do you have to adjust your ph usually???

My top offs seem to level out the same as the solution, and im not complaining, in fact it makes my life easier!

My theory is, the nutrient solution is the most abundant with the largest amount of buffer. The RO water is assuming the ph of the res without correcting much if at all.

Id like to hear some feedback

Putting your water through an RO should affect the pH very little. All the RO is doing is removing dissolved solids. It should only affect the pH as far as removing some of the salts and minerals would change it.

my ro water goes from 8.1 tap, to 4.9 ro.

I must have some very alkaline minerals in my water!

i guess i just wanted to know if others are experiencing that as well.

Reverse osmosis does affect pH of water, it makes it more aggressive or acidic as you point out. Something about removing/adjusting hydrogen ions in the water. I'm a little rusty on my water chemistry. I used to have a text book on water treatment. There are some good free resources on water treatment. Try: the Montana Water web site for interactive water tutorials or the American Water Works Association web site.

here's a link to Point of Use Reverse Osmosis training you can download for free for either the PC or Mac
http://watercenter.montana.edu/training/pouro/default.htm

Ahem...I downloaded for the mac but it wouldn't work for me. Sorry about that.

I guess I could be wrong (I hate that when that happens...) This from the US EPA: Myth #4 - Reverse osmosis filtration produces very acidic water with low pH
Truth: Reverse osmosis has little affect on water pH values.

Reverse osmosis purification may or may not reduce pH levels as it removes unhealthy inorganic minerals from tap water. Water pH is very complicated and pH levels vary constantly depending on a host of factors which can only be measured by water chemists and PhDs. The truth is, water pH levels will automatically change when it is ingested and comes into contact with the food in your stomach. Even on an empty stomach, your stomach acid alone is already several times more acidic than RO water (pH 6-8) with a pH level of 2.

The human body regulates pH levels constantly to find balance and equilibrium. Therefore under normal conditions it will always maintain a neutral 7.4 pH balance. Even eating very acidic foods (very low pH) only alters the body's pH by a very tiny amount and only for a short time. The healthy body is very robust and it will restore homeostatic pH fairly quickly and easily. Soft drinks and sports drinks typically have a pH level of 2.5, orange juice has a 3 pH and coffee has a 4 pH level and we drink these beverages all the time without problems.

Water before RO= 400ppm and 7.4 ph
After= 10ppm and 6.3 ph After adding GH lucas formula PH is perfect 5.7 or right around there.
Sometimes I need to adjust PH during the week but it's rare.
Usually if I have to add PH up the plant didn't need as much nutes as I gave it and the opposite if I have to put ph down in

I started useing distilled water and have no more problems with PPM or ph levels.I have 3 gallons DWC and was always ajusting ph,even,but now after a week my water ph has changed very little..
I know it cost for it but your aircondtion watyer and rain w ater woks great but I will stay with distilled water..
my 2cent..
oneshot

yeah, i did the whole distilled thing, but you gotta understand, i have a 40g res, so imagine buying all that water at the store.

I make all the zero ppm water i could ever want, in one day.

if i had a 3g grow going, i would just buy distilled, lol.

i too have a 40 gal. res. and every time i top off with ro water my ph stays about the same. never have to add ph up or down when topping off. i will pay attention next time i flush to see what the ph is when adding nutes

I have used distilled and never seen a real big change in my res. each are about 15 gallons, but I am looking into a RO system for my whole house since I have well water and cant use that for growing!!

Latest posts

Back