Gearing up for 1st grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa

Reaction score
Hey everyone... I have been mulling and reading over this web site and a few others.. taking a few notes and getting insired by what I see as well as getting tired of getting OK weed for high prices...

Here is my info;

I will have a small space to work with 1.5 X 1.5 X 3 ( mabey 2X2X3) WHich would be 6 SQR Feet ( 7) ??

I was loking into the compact floro due too heat issues but I have come across a 400 HPS for 120ish..And as I have seen in the posts this is the way to go. The system I saw was 55,000 Lumins ( should I do a 250 watt?)
A few questions;
1) Will the heat be a problem? I will have a fan in there, and down the road I will get a blower so I will already have a hole ready that can be used as a vent.
2) Should the lights be on top or on the side.. With the CFL I was going to just hang them down to be parallel with the plants can I do the same with HPS?
3) I was going to paint the inside white or should I go with Mylar

Umm I think thats it but you know how that goes.... Z

O yes I forgot....Am I right in thinking that I can use CFL for the flowering stages??? I am going to have another small box for this.... Z

Hi Zappa, 2 feet by 2 feet is 4 square feet.

1. Yes heat will be a problem in a grow area that size. For veg stage, using a CFL it will be fine. For flowering, by the time you take the heights of the pots, the HPS light and the reccommended 2 foot you have to leave between the lamp and the tops of the plants into account, you have no room left for a plant.
2. The lights should be put on top. Side lighting can be used as well.
3. Paint it white, it's cheaper.

You have 2 choices

1. Work with your existing height, use CFLs and maybe LST your plant. Some people have good results flowering with CFLs.
2. Get yourself some more height, use your HPS and grow bigger bud.

A 250 w HPS would be fine for that grow area.

I can probably only go to3.5 ft for height.... SO with the 250 HPS heat would still be an issue even with a fan?

In my opinion 3.5 feet is too little to run a HPS lamp.

I would build a bigger grow box, to much effort for the results possible in a 1.5x1.5 x3 space.

Well the max height will still be 3 to 3.5 ft. I am building this from scratch as I work in woodworking as a trade... It is going to have a false front as well as some storage shelves to make up for what I am taking away.. I will remeasure in the AM .. Z

Latest posts

Back