General Organics vs General Hydroponics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
General Organics 32 grams.

smgowk10.jpg

smgowk10root.jpg

smgo32wt.jpg

Getting ready for the taste tests.

Step one: Attached the identity of each on the underside of the jar lids. The lids will have to be disassembled to reveal which is GO, which is GH, and which was grown with traditional organics.

Step two: Jars were mixed, spun, twirled, and otherwise confused.

Step three: Jars were randomly labeled "Thing 1", "Thing 2", and "Thing 3".

Step four: Each jar in turn was cleaned and joints were rolled, with a single band for Thing 1, two bands for Thing 2, and three bands for Thing 3.

Step five: One of each of the three things was placed into small bags, to be used for testing.

In a nutshell, I don't know which is which. All I know is that all the Thing 1's are the same, all the Thing 2's are the same, and all the Thing 3's are the same. Once I have collected feedback about each Thing, I can open the jar lids and match the feedback to the nutrient.

gh 003.JPG

gh 005.JPG

gh 028.JPG

:yay:

love it bud, everything about this. Thank you for contributing to MP, it makes a difference...

p.s. just read that GH Flora is useable in soil....awesome!

7greeneyes said:
:yay:

love it bud, everything about this. Thank you for contributing to MP, it makes a difference...

p.s. just read that GH Flora is useable in soil....awesome!

I want to do one of those too, a GO vs GH in soil.

The Dutch Master site basically says that if you are gonna grow organic-grow in soil-no advantage to organic hydro-if there was, they would make it and sell it. Having used the earth-juice line myself-I agree-switched to the dutch master gold one for flower-beautiful results.

First report in: "Drummer Dude"

Thing 1 (Favorite) Strong grape notes. Best flavor.
Thing 2 (2nd) Very smooth, like an ultralight cigarette. Hard to tell for sure that you got a hit until you exhale.
Thing 3 (3rd) "Indoor, you can tell. Tastes expensive".

Hey I only saw 2 plants growing, one in OG, one in GH. But now you have listed 3 jars of smoke, what's up with the third, did I mis something?

Leonardo De Garden said:
First report in: "Drummer Dude"

Thing 1 (Favorite) Strong grape notes. Best flavor.
Thing 2 (2nd) Very smooth, like an ultralight cigarette. Hard to tell for sure that you got a hit until you exhale.
Thing 3 (3rd) "Indoor, you can tell. Tastes expensive".

Im betting if you wouldnt have marked the joints that way and just gave them a joint and said nothing, nobody would have noticed ant difference.

This test is flawed on so many levels.

But fine bud none the less.

Hushpuppy said:
Hey I only saw 2 plants growing, one in OG, one in GH. But now you have listed 3 jars of smoke, what's up with the third, did I mis something?

Fair enough Hushpuppy, the third clone was grown with traditional organics. things like blood meal, bone meal, guano, sul po mag etc. I mistakenly overdosed it with sul po mag early on, and stunted it. Anyway, it bounced back well enough to go to term. Producing the least of the three by a fair margin.

So you are correct, I haven't been including it, since then every post would have been "yes, I stunted it but blah, blah, blah". But when I was making up the little trial packets I figured that an additional data point could point would be more interesting statistically, and besides three joints looked a lot nicer in the little trial bags than two anyway.

While waiting to hear back from hopefully a few more folks, I may as well take my turn.

I have Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3. Nicely rolled and awaiting a touch of flame to spring to life.

Sniffing the joints:

Thing 1: Smells faintly of weed.
Thing 2: Much stronger aroma.
Thing 3: Between the two.

The smell of each is pleasant enough, so on this I'd rank them 2, 3, 1.

First hit:

Thing 1:Smooth, pleasant. Mild fruity flavor on the tip on my tongue on exhale.
Thing 2: Very smooth. No lung expansion.
Thing 3: Similar to 2, but more robust, and not quite as smooth.

End of round one. I'm not going to be sad to finish smoking any of this. And I'm very surprised how different the subtle notes of each tastes.

Thing 1 has a mellow, nice weed-like flavor. Sweetest of the three. Would be nice on a couch with friends.

Thing 2 is by far the smoothest. It is more like smoking out of a vaporizor than smoking a joint. On the down side, it shares the same drawback, in that it is almost too smooth to feel fulfilling. However this one is done would be best for people who tend to coughing problems.

Thing 3 has the strongest hints of floral. Flavor is of similar intensity as Thing 1.

To sum it up, thing 1 tastes the fruitiest, thing 3 tastes the most floral, and thing 2 has only a mild hint of a flavor. I thought I was going to be able to pick out the synthetic pretty easily, and I can't. I contrary to the popular opinion of many, I didn't detect an off flavor to any of them, and wouldn't mind smoking a couple of ounces of all three.

Oh, and yes, right now, the tip of my nose is numb. I'm feeling pretty mellow and okay at the moment.

My picks in order of preference, are 3,2,then 1. Since Dummer Dude rated Thing 1 (Favorite), Thing 2 (2nd), Thing 3 (3rd), lets assign 2 points for a win, and 1 point for 2nd.

That puts the current total at

Thing 1: 2 points (he liked best)
Thing 2: 2 points (we both ranked it second)
Thing 3: 2 points (I liked best)

Hushpuppy said:
Can you tell any difference in potency?

I've been smoking the odd bits off and on, and not that I can tell. They may not taste identical, but they seem to all hit about the same as far as I can tell

I am one of those that believes that after a decent cure that you are going to get just as good a flavor and potency from chemical nutes that you do from organic, the same from soil as hydro. Though we realize that one run is not a great test, it is a start. Thanks.

Report from artist dude:

Thing:1: Strongest aroma and flavor by a long shot- sweet really.
Thing 2: Middle of the pack on aroma and flavor.
Thing 3: Least flavor and aroma, perhaps a little harsh too.

Overall though I'd say #2 and #3 were within about 70% of #1 and still very pleasant. : )

Running total:

Thing 1: 4 points
Thing 2: 3 points
Thing 3: 2 points

Three more results just in:

Dude at the river:
Ranked in order: 1,2,3
"Thing 1 had the best flavor, similar to thing 2. They all three taste organic, but thing 3 needed more flushing."

Lady at the river:

Liked the mildness and gentleness to things 3 and 2. Didn't feel like coughing at all. Wrote a little poem afterwards.

"Thing 1 is done,
Thing 2 is through,
Thing 3 is free
Hooray for me!"

Lady at the river's BF:

Liked 1 the best because it had a stronger taste, more substantial and satisfying. Thought that 3 and 2 were nice, but without the sharper edginess of 1.

Current Totals:
Thing !: 8 points
Thing 2: 5 points
Thing 3: 5 points

#1 was detectably fruity on the inhale; smooth and no harshness on the throat. Very nice aroma, has a berry-fruit-light citrus taste and scent, but with just a hint of floral notes on the top. I get a slight Frankincense flavor with some woody bottom notes. Sweet, but potent. Slightly creeper. Very good smoke, head high, energizing, creative thought inducing. Very tasty, and the sweetness lingers.

#2 more harsh, no fruit nor floral fragrance, no fruit flavor, hits the back of my throat hard. It’s a good smoke, and a mellow, head high, and also is very energizing. I missed the fruit and floral notes in this one. It also has a stronger Frankincense smell and taste to it, stronger than in #1. I detect a bit of pine scent, woody bottom notes, I’m not getting the honey-sweetness of the Frankincense, just the essence of pine topped with a hint of lemon.

#3 Fresh cut florals! Fresh berries and citrus! A bit of bite on the inhale, and on the exhale, bright floral notes come forth in abundance, with much more flavor and scent than in #2, and slightly more than #1. The scent and taste is both woody and floral, with a light, berry-citrus fruit scent and pineapple-mango taste on the top notes. There is also a subtle softening of the bright and woody flavors with a hint of vanilla, which mutes it slightly. #3 has layers of flavor, and it’s easy to detect the florals, the fruit and the woody earthiness. This is my favorite of the three.

I ran this test twice, on different days, and #3 is definitely my favorite. It has layers of flavor and scent that make it a delicious smoke, and a mellow, yet energetic high. However, I think all three samples are very good, and I liked all of them. #3 just had more layers of flavor and scent. I liked #1 second best.

Those roots on the organics look terrible and what a difference on yield.
T4

Latest posts

Back