general rule of thumb??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorickyourself

Reaction score
If you have a certain size of grow area or tent,know already a lot of people would like to put a certain num of plants in grow them the best way posible.Or how would know there eyes were bigger then there tent???:D

I would love to help, but you will have to clarify the question please?????

I think the question is, what's the magic number for plants in a room. Example, 4-6 plants fit a 4x4 wonderfully. Depending on what method you use to train them.

I'm new at all this, but I think this is what he's meaning. :D

Dman1234 said:
I would love to help, but you will have to clarify the question please?????

I believe he wants to know how many plants you can grow in a given space.

I do 9 in a 4x4 tent and used to do 4 in 2x4 tents before I got the 4x4.

Holy smokes, 9 in 4x4?! What training methods and how you growing? (Maybe private message in case this is a thread jacking question)

I mean I can see it, but that would be (I'd assume) with minimal horizontal training, and more vertical training?

EllisD said:
Holy smokes, 9 in 4x4?! What training methods and how you growing? (Maybe private message in case this is a thread jacking question)

I mean I can see it, but that would be (I'd assume) with minimal horizontal training, and more vertical training?

I will see if I can take pics in my tent tonight when I get off work. I do 3 rows of three. Hey I have crammed 11 in there but to much work and it winds up not being worth it pay off wise. I top every plant at least once and usually lst with pipe cleaners.

Dang.. I was thinking 6 max in my 4x4x7 Sun Hut and that was with 1-2 top, and LST... heck I was even thinking of maybe scroging.

EllisD said:
Dang.. I was thinking 6 max in my 4x4x7 Sun Hut and that was with 1-2 top, and LST... heck I was even thinking of maybe scroging.

I would actually recommend less plants when you first start out. Once you get the hang of it and can keep them healthy, happy and humming along you can start pushing plant numbers if you like.
I take the Summers off because it gets too hot here, so I really have to Crank out the Dank while I can to hold me and the wife over till the next indoor season starts.

Hammy do you run a 1khps in that 4 x 4 tent... 4 x 4 tray holds 16....5 gallon buckets:hubba:

orangesunshine said:
Hammy do you run a 1khps in that 4 x 4 tent... 4 x 4 tray holds 16....5 gallon buckets:hubba:

Yes, I run a 600w in a cool tube and a 400w in a standard reflector. 16 would be pure insanity. My 9 right now are a handful.

16 in 5 gal seems, literally, impossible. The circumference of the buckets would be larger than a 4x4 tray wouldn't they? Way larger than my 3.5x3.5 for sure! Unless I'm just not figuring this correctly in my head... :(

EllisD said:
16 in 5 gal seems, literally, impossible. The circumference of the buckets would be larger than a 4x4 tray wouldn't they? Way larger than my 3.5x3.5 for sure! Unless I'm just not figuring this correctly in my head... :(

Ellis I think you could probably fit 4 rows of 4 five gallon buckets but I sure am not game to try.:) First off I don't grow in anything bigger than 1 gallon pots.:)
Secondly, they would need an extreme amount of pruning. Too much work.

Thank you for your answers,l did not reread my post before l posted Thanks again

EllisD said:

tray is 4 x 4'---5 gal buckets are 1'---that is 16 buckets snugly fit in my tray plus another 2 on milk crates---this is the veg room---after taking clones and a heavy prune of all other shoots---into the 4 x 8 flower room tray---18 buckets---3 rows of 6---:p

OHHHHH.. veg room I understand now! Thanks for clarifying Orange! :)

as hammy said it would be much work to jamb 16 plants thru flower in a 4 x 4 tray---9 seems to be the magic number

orangesunshine said:
as hammy said it would be much work to jamb 16 plants thru flower in a 4 x 4 tray---9 seems to be the magic number

Yeah I am liking 9...ran 6 early on and felt like I was wasting light and space. If I flipped them earlier, from clone I think I could run 12 and not want to bang my head against a wall. :p SOG or SCROG...12 might be the way to go. Again, I run 1 gallon pots...less space but way more watering.

lol---sacralidge to waste light hammy---if i were using 1 or 3 gal pots thru flower---there is no way i would have less than 16 or 12 plants in a 4 x 4 tray---in fact with 45 cuts in the bubbler now they go directly into 1 gal soil when they grow legs culling along the way before their final resting in the 5 gal---46 1 gal will fit in the tray---culling takes me down to the best 18 to finish veg---take cuts and do it all over again at the flip

My thumb tells me 1 plant in a 18" X 18" space,plus more light than you think they need.......

But that's just me!

Latest posts

Back