Getting A new Tent and need help with lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Autoflower

Auto Flower Lover
Reaction score
So I recently sold my old trailor that i grew in last so i thought misewell invest it a lil bit into another lil tent since i have the space. its 2x2x5.3 the 1 im lookin at.I do have another 400w hps but i dont want the spike in the bill or the heat issue so i want to do a cfl or led or both.I kown that the t5 and the 200w cfl are the best in the cfl market but wut about leds? whos got good knowledge on this? Im gonna have autos and veg plants in here by the way

There was allot of info on LED that was lost with the crash. Some people had GJ with them running. From what i understand if your willing to invest then they can work. Still not up there with HPS growth but for veg i understand the are good.
I think some people might still grow using them. Maybe start a thread with the title Including LED for more attention.

IMO, the led lights aren't quite there yet for cost and yield and has a way to go befor I would commit myself to purchasing one.

ya im thinkin so too now and i got a 400wat just sitin here. so im gonna order up a 190cfm fan and carbon filter with fan controller. this should keep it cool in there right?

did the math and it will cost me 25 dollars extra a month to run a 400w hps 18 hours a day that with taxs and wut not so it aint to bad i guess and itll heat my place probly ;)

Dude, I got a real nice LED setup two years ago, and I'll tell you now, not worth it. I still use it to veg, but over those years the plants have kept getting more and more stretched out. T5s are a much better alternative. Really though, nothing beat HID, and get some nice airflow going through the hood and you should have no problems.

blunt man said:
So I recently sold my old trailor that i grew in last so i thought misewell invest it a lil bit into another lil tent since i have the space. its 2x2x5.3 the 1 im lookin at.I do have another 400w hps but i dont want the spike in the bill or the heat issue so i want to do a cfl or led or both.I kown that the t5 and the 200w cfl are the best in the cfl market but wut about leds? whos got good knowledge on this? Im gonna have autos and veg plants in here by the way

I would go with the 400W HPS. It is a misconception that CFLs are cheaper or cooler--they are neither. Lumen for lumen, CFLs generally cost more to purchase initially, cost twice as much (or more) to operate every single month, run hotter, and produce substantially less bud than a HPS. A T5 is not a CFL (compact fluorscent light)--CFLs are the spiral bulbs that fit in a regular socket. A T5 is simply a fluoro tube, but they do come in a high output that gives you a 92 lumen per watt ratio, This is as good as you will get from MH lighting. IMO, LEDs may be suitable for growing some day, but with all I have read and seen, they are not there yet.

Whether a 190 cfm fan will keep your space cool will depend on the temp of the intake air--the ambient temps in adjacent rooms. Remember that any time you put a filter on a fan that you are reducing the cfms.

I would run vegging lights 24/7. Marijuana does not need a dark period and will grow (as opposed to stretch) all the time it has light (and other necessary things). IMO, a 18/6 vegging schedule just prolongs the veg period and encourages stretch.

I have been using LED's for a while now and I like them. The red/blue spectrum brings out more of the resins and IMHO makes the bud more potent.

Ganja what leds are you using and how much do they cost ? Thinking about supplementing with leds because I did here that they make the bud more potent.

Upgrade you HID rather than get LED to suppliment, you'll get far more potent bud running a 1000 watt light rather than a 600 watter supplimented with LED. It's just not worth it IMO.

babysnakess said:
Ganja what leds are you using and how much do they cost ? Thinking about supplementing with leds because I did here that they make the bud more potent.
hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-300-Watt-High-Powered-Tri-Band-LED-Grow-Light.asp

Go to that link and you will see a full description of the light I run.... I run four of them as well as a lightblaze 400 in conjunction with T5's with respective veg/bloom bulbs

:48: And yes, very potent you can check out the 2nd vid in my faves on youtube by urban grower... just look for ganjapapa2010

Hey GP kill the live off site link

Like Blancolighter says go with the HID upgrade. you will not be able to hang the LED over the plants or it would block light from the HID. The LED being on a side instead of over will only give light to one side of the plant.

im thinking a t5 setup would rock the hell out of your 3x3 tent. my 4' six bulb setup is killin in my 2x4. you could probably get a 2' six bulb setup in there with ease........... otherwise id go with the 400w

I have never heard that different lighting can make bud more potent....How exactly do LEDs make bud more potent?

LOL, I was going to ask this as well THG...what light spectrum does the LED's put out that the other lights don't?

blancolighter said:
Upgrade you HID rather than get LED to suppliment, you'll get far more potent bud running a 1000 watt light rather than a 600 watter supplimented with LED. It's just not worth it IMO.
read the "led truth" very good , but it's 2 years old , has there been any improvement in your opinion?

Yea man, the LED lights do experience a reduction in intensity over the years, and after two years I notice that my plants aren't as vigorous under them and stretch a bit more than they used to, and definitely can't keep up with my T5s. Hmmm, I'll have to sit down and write a detailed update to that...

Roddy said:
LOL, I was going to ask this as well THG...what light spectrum does the LED's put out that the other lights don't?

They don't. The LEDs claim to fame was that they ONLY put out the light spectrums needed to grow, therefor saving lots of power compared to HIDs which put out a rather wide spectrum with lots of energy. They don't put out anything special, however, and certainly don't put out anything the HIDs don't. The only LEDs that are kinda special are the ones with UV leds built in as well as the red and blue, but once again, HIDs put that out too, and the price on those LED setups are all over 1000, certainly not the type any growing in the forums has been "raving" about.

I got a 500 watt led light from a hydro store, blank blank hydro is the manufaturer of the light. The light is amazing as it is producing great results. I have the 500 watt light in a 2x4x5 grow tent also form some Hydro store. The light doe not produce heat and the tent is actually a couple degrees cooler than the room. The prices at blank hydro are great, I paid $520.00 for my light same exact light up to $900.00 other places. Expensive yes but the energy used is minor on electric bill, no extra ballasts and all the other crap that goes with HPS systems. My new crop is just stared so I will put picture up in the future.

Latest posts

Back