Getting back into growing. This time hydroponics!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SmokeMyPiece said:
'Id' go DWC.

If you do run into high res temps:
-1Gal of water
-1Liter of ice
-small cooler
-Extra air line
View attachment 174042
Run some extra air line (looped a couple times) thru the jug of water before going to the air stone in the res. Now, keeping this outside the heated area, the pump pulls cool air, cools down further thru the water, then introduces colder air to the res.

Good idea.

I have a single larger air pump in my flowering room and it pulls cool air from my crawl space.

i run aero,F&D, and dwc. DWc in my mind is by far the easiest safest way to go for wat its worth.

Alright I guess I'll go DWC then. Btw I live in canada so warm weather really isnt a problem. It's summer now but it but it rarely gets hotter then 80 degrees here outside. Think I'll have cooling issues in this climate?

So whats my first step with the stuff I have here? What else do I need to buy to complete my DWC setup?

i take you dont have central air, so i would deff look into a small window unit ,portable a/c for these summer months.

ur lucky in the summer i run more watts in a/c than lights

i bought a cali grow kits system that came with everthing you need for $100. unbenounced to me the dwc was the size of a shoe box. htg supply seems to have cheap 1, 2, and 4 shooters.

hemp goddess, you seem the professor here- im putting together a 3 chamber cab in which allows 2 ft for mom... how short can you keep the mama?

stides said:
Alright I guess I'll go DWC then. Btw I live in canada so warm weather really isnt a problem. It's summer now but it rarely gets now but it rarely gets hotter then 80 degrees here outside. Think I'll have cooling issues in this climate?

So whats my first step with the stuff I have here? What else do I need to buy to complete my DWC setup?

It looks like you need some hydrotron, nutes, a pH meter, pH up and/or down, something to read EC, and calibration liquids.

I use GH nutes and like them. I find I need to add some Cal-Mag when I get into flowering. I kind of like to use the FloraNova Grow for vegging and then the GH Flora series for flowering, but I use the Lucas formula, which doesn't use the grow part of the 3 parts, just the micro and bloom which you use in a 1-2 ratio.

Get a decent pH meter. IMO, you can do without a ppm meter if you are careful with your nutes and keep good records. You need to start with about 1/4 strength and work your way up watching how your plants react.

Balerion--I do not keep moms as I do not have enough space. I take clones from clones without any problems whatsoever. However, 2' seems more like a cloning space. I think you could have trouble keeping a mom in that much space. After a bit they can get quite rangy.

hollywood52 said:
i take you dont have central air, so i would deff look into a small window unit ,portable a/c for these summer months.

ur lucky in the summer i run more watts in a/c than lights

If heat is a problem in the summer, run your flowering lights at night. I use T5s for vegging and don't have much problem keeping that space cool enough.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If heat is a problem in the summer, run your flowering lights at night. I use T5s for vegging and don't have much problem keeping that space cool enough.
yh thats only way it works. but its sad when at 4 am its 93

The Hemp Goddess said:
It looks like you need some hydrotron, nutes, a pH meter, pH up and/or down, something to read EC, and calibration liquids.

I use GH nutes and like them. I find I need to add some Cal-Mag when I get into flowering. I kind of like to use the FloraNova Grow for vegging and then the GH Flora series for flowering, but I use the Lucas formula, which doesn't use the grow part of the 3 parts, just the micro and bloom which you use in a 1-2 ratio.

Get a decent pH meter. IMO, you can do without a ppm meter if you are careful with your nutes and keep good records. You need to start with about 1/4 strength and work your way up watching how your plants react.

Balerion--I do not keep moms as I do not have enough space. I take clones from clones without any problems whatsoever. However, 2' seems more like a cloning space. I think you could have trouble keeping a mom in that much space. After a bit they can get quite rangy.

Ok I know what hydroton is because I looked it up. How big of bag should I get? I figure a PH meter is something to read the pH. But what exactly are pH up and/or down? Something to read EC? Calibration liquids?

I'm sorry but I told you this is my first time with hydroponics. Can you maybe make me a shopping list or something, with product names? Maybe a description? I appreciate it a lot! :hubba:

PH up and down are solutions that will change the pH of your nute solution. You want to run at a pH of between 5.3 and 6.0, with 5.8 being a good target to strive for. I personally like to let my pH drift some.

EC stands for electrical conductivity and tells you how many dissolved solids are in solutions. You want to check your water to see if it is suitable to use. You also check the strength of your nutrient solution with it. Too high a nutrient solution can kill plants in a matter of hours. Calibration liquids are to check the accuracy of your meters. All meters will gt out of adjustment and will need to be adjusted periodically. I like to check my meters every 2 weeks or so.

Keep reading and studying. Now that you have decided pon one system, you should be able to find a lot of info. I would guess that there are a lot of decent videos on You Tube that could give you the basics.

The Hemp Goddess said:
PH up and down are solutions that will change the pH of your nute solution. You want to run at a pH of between 5.3 and 6.0, with 5.8 being a good target to strive for. I personally like to let my pH drift some.

EC stands for electrical conductivity and tells you how many dissolved solids are in solutions. You want to check your water to see if it is suitable to use. You also check the strength of your nutrient solution with it. Too high a nutrient solution can kill plants in a matter of hours. Calibration liquids are to check the accuracy of your meters. All meters will gt out of adjustment and will need to be adjusted periodically. I like to check my meters every 2 weeks or so.

Keep reading and studying. Now that you have decided pon one system, you should be able to find a lot of info. I would guess that there are a lot of decent videos on You Tube that could give you the basics.

Thanks again for the breakdown. God, I love this forum! There's a lot of videos on youtube about hydroponics. Any you would suggest as being the best or most accurate?

some tips that come to mind for dwc :), get a decent air pump and get extra airstones too, you will need them. keep the airpump above water level. dwc is really simple, make an easy handy way to flush your tote whenever you need. read on ph/ec control, get a good meter for that

Latest posts

Back