Getting Started.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weed+Physics

Reaction score
Hey all what up?

I am about to start my first grow as soon as I receive the seeds. I am going to be growing some joint dr's diesel ryder indoors. I plan on only starting with 4 plants for my first try. I have no idea where to start, though! Can anyone give me a quick run-down of all the equipment I will need? Also, if anyone knows of a good first-timer grow guide that would be helpful too!

Thanks!

Hey, gl man. I'm on my first grow, and today was my first day of flowering....so far so good. Sounds like you already got a good start and took care of step 1; Procuring good genetics. Now I would suggest you do what i did and become a sponge for knowledge....this site has some good guides/faqs/and knowledgable peeps. Here would be a good start. And after youve absorbed everything in here, google it. You cant know too much, but do beware and make sure you research credible sites with good info. And when you've done all that, and STILL have questions, just start a thread in here and someone will be able to help. Again, best of luck to ya man.

^^^What he said.

Also, be sure to read the site rules thoroughly, good info that will help you to get started.

This forum is a veritable font of knowledge so to speak, read up, and search search search before starting a new thread,
you can achieve near perfect results with what you can learn here. I know i did.

congrats on deciding to grow your own mj! getting over the mental hurdle of starting is the hardest part about growing. Before your seeds arrive, you're going to need some equipment. First, you should go pick up the "grow bible". Indoor Marijuana Horticulture by Jorge Cervantes (grow editor of High Times) is the most complete growing guide I have ever seen. It provides just about everything you need to know about growing MJ. We need to know more info about your grow space, and whether you are planning on using hydro or soil in order to give you proper advice.

And while the bible is a great reference tool written by one of the foremost men in the field, the publication is becoming a little dated, and new techniques, lights, materials, and genetices have evolvoed making reading current guides and faqs just as helpfull as the bible. Dont get me wrong man, I'm not dissin the bible, it was my first serious read on the subject, but I'm just saying you wont find everything in there for todays closet/micro growers. (plus it was written before Autos were around)

My grow space is a small, long closet in my room. I plan on using soil for my first grow (I think i would be getting ahead of myself with hydroponics). I am not too worried about smell as I don't live with any authoritative figures (i.e. parents or any squares who are going to make it public knowledge) unless anyone thinks that the smell may still be a problem. I chose the diesel ryder because of its amazing grow time and increased yield and potency as compared to the earlier lowryder strains.

I have done some reading/forum surfing on this topic, enough to know that lowryder is a different type of grow than most strains because of its autoflowering capabilities. I have a friend who will let me borrow lights, I do not know what kind, wattage, etc. they are, but they will be free. The most useful information I am trying to get at this point is exactly how to start the seeds and what I need to do so.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Friend-of-a-friend said:
And while the bible is a great reference tool written by one of the foremost men in the field, the publication is becoming a little dated, and new techniques, lights, materials, and genetices have evolvoed making reading current guides and faqs just as helpfull as the bible. Dont get me wrong man, I'm not dissin the bible, it was my first serious read on the subject, but I'm just saying you wont find everything in there for todays closet/micro growers. (plus it was written before Autos were around)

How old is the copy you are referring to? The newest version covers everything (actually more, but more scientific terms and references) this site has, maybe you should check it out. I have yet to be satisfied by the amount of knowledge in the bible, and yes, they reference autos(cannabis rudaralis) quite often, but serious growers, imo (be nice auto guys lol) dont grow autos, its a quick grow but lacks the potency and more importantly the yield of the big hitters, good for sog setups tho.

I'm sorry, I only have a copy of the older one....I definetly need to check out the new one then.

Friend-of-a-friend said:
I'm sorry, I only have a copy of the older one....I definetly need to check out the new one then.

yeah, hes got like, i dont know 8 books that he updates, the new one still doesnt cover some things im interested in, but its got some good stuff, still tho, cant compete with real time advice you can get on this site!

I am growing autos for the reason of time constraints, do your big plants get done in 2 months? No. But will my plants have potency? I would think the diesel cross-breed would make them some dank- nugs...

Weed+Physics said:
I am growing autos for the reason of time constraints, do your big *** plants get done in 2 months? No. But will my plants have ****** potency? I would think the diesel cross-breed would make them some dank-*** nugs...

i have a veg room and a flowering chamber, My harvest will easily political name yours and yes, i can and will harvest every two months, the flowering chamber is never empty, rotational crop, you should see about adding a veg and flower setup, then you wouldnt have to grow autos :D .

if you veg more plants for the two months it takes for your flowering to complete, by the time they are done, your vegged plants are ready to right into the flowering chamber/room/area, negates the need for autos imo, unless space, money and supplies are an issue.

also, check out the site rules, profanity isnt allowed.

thanks,
JB

Weed+Physics said:
My grow space is a small, long closet in my room. I plan on using soil for my first grow (I think i would be getting ahead of myself with hydroponics). I am not too worried about smell as I don't live with any authoritative figures (i.e. parents or any squares who are going to make it public knowledge) unless anyone thinks that the smell may still be a problem. I chose the diesel ryder because of its amazing grow time and increased yield and potency as compared to the earlier lowryder strains.

Thanks for everyone's help![/quot

1. Make sure the soil you use is good for growing weed, any grab bag soil from home depot will NOT work. Certain products have chemicals which may hinder plant growth.

2. Smell should not be a big problem with only 4 plants. My friend had almost 30 and we could barely smell anything. He was using Carbon Can filters, if your smell gets bad, buy a carbon filter.

3. You have to find out your wattage. If you are growing 4 plants in a closet, a 400 watt HPS should do perfect.

4. If you grow in a closet, make sure you have a fan to circulate the air. Closet grows are notorious for bad air circulation, overheating, and burning the tops of your plants.

5. go to a hydro shop and buy Panda film, layer your entire closet with it. it will make the grow environment easier to clean and look neater. Plus the film will reflect light better than whatever white paint its currently covered with.

6. Hydro isnt that hard, do a little research on an Ebb N Flow table and you will realize it is actually quite easy and fun. The only hard part is the nutrients, you have to be pinpoint with your dosage.

The dieselryder does smell. Not so much during its short veg stage, but once flowering kicks in. Anyone entering your place, will immediately know you are growing. For 4 plants a 250w hps would be ideal. Basic soil grow is a good idea for first time. An oscillating fan will help alot. 1 to 2 gallon containers will be good. I like fox farm organic nutes, but find something that works for you. I have played with many different ways to germinate. Now I use rapid rooters and plant seed directly and let it go from there. Once roots start coming out of rooter, I plant into 1 gallon pots. I hope this helps some.

Sorry about the profanity, I guess i missed that in the fine print. Btw, congrats on having a yield that will political name that of a completely unexperienced grower, I should hope you could, that is why I am seeking your help! Don't get me wrong, I understand the glory that is a truly-cared-for non-auto-flowering strain, but I do not have ample time to do this, so I can't have a rotational crop system. I am using autos to produce as many plants as I can during a single semester college. It wont really be feasible for me to move a grow op a few hundred miles when the end of school rolls around. Plus I am working with about a six-foot high grow space, which I feel would not acommidate my lighting along with the plants.

I think this time I am going to try to stick to organic, just to prevent over-complication and risking losing any of my plants. What kind of soil should I buy, and where? There are no specifically weed-grower related stores in my area, so I will have to go somewhere more general.

I ordered my seeds from the attitude and they gave me a few seeds from 2 other normal strains, 5 of Feminized Durban Poison and one or two G-13. I am considering growing a couple of these just to cross-breed them with the dieselryder to retain the auto-flower characteristic while hopefully increasing potency, and then disposing of the plants once I collect the seeds....is this a good idea, or am I getting ahead of myself?

The durban is relatively tall. It will require topping or lst. It will take significatly longer to flower, being a pure sativa. Dutchbreed has a little more selection in the ryder type plants. To retain the auto features, you will need to use a male ryder, and then grow it out. It may need additional backcross with male ryder to retain the auto. Might be easier to breed the ryder to itself rather than a new hybrid.

Well in that case, I think I will just stick with the diesel ryder. With the oscillating fan, though, will i want to leave the closet door open, to cycle in new air, or can I just leave it closed as long as I have some circulation? Also, my house has terrible insulation, so will I need to adjust the temperature in the room? Finally, ideally one of the first four will be male, and I plan on separating it and one female from the other two so i will have plenty of seeds for future use, and two unseeded females. When and how can I tell the difference between the males and females?

Weed+Physics said:
Sorry about the profanity, I guess i missed that in the fine print. Btw, congrats on having a yield that will political name that of a completely unexperienced grower, I should hope you could, that is why I am seeking your help! Don't get me wrong, I understand the glory that is a truly-cared-for non-auto-flowering strain, but I do not have ample time to do this, so I can't have a rotational crop system. I am using autos to produce as many plants as I can during a single semester college. It wont really be feasible for me to move a grow op a few hundred miles when the end of school rolls around. Plus I am working with about a six-foot high grow space, which I feel would not acommidate my lighting along with the plants.

I think this time I am going to try to stick to organic, just to prevent over-complication and risking losing any of my plants. What kind of soil should I buy, and where? There are no specifically weed-grower related stores in my area, so I will have to go somewhere more general.

I ordered my seeds from the attitude and they gave me a few seeds from 2 other normal strains, 5 of Feminized Durban Poison and one or two G-13. I am considering growing a couple of these just to cross-breed them with the dieselryder to retain the auto-flower characteristic while hopefully increasing potency, and then disposing of the plants once I collect the seeds....is this a good idea, or am I getting ahead of myself?

ha ha, im just as inexperienced as you! ive just invested a little more, and do not have the restrictions that you do, no harm in that comment, sorry if it came off that way! And nothing against autos, i guess given your current situation you are the one who is correct here, sorry about that, Im just going off what ive read, not experience, not to say your plants wont be the killer bomb, i just never thought about it, lol

cool cool. lemme know if i can help brotha, and make sure you study, school isnt cheap! ive been paying off student loans for ever it seems!

My dieselryder is not done yet. I saw sexing at 3 weeks. Males first. Then female. In terms of male/female ratio, dunno. Statistically, 50-50. Actually closer to 65% female. Nature doesn't need as many male plants, as they can pollinate many females. This number is an average, taken out pretty far. In your 4, you might not see any males. But the next grow, you might have 3. The average is about right, when the sample is a little larger.

Weed+Physics said:
Well in that case, I think I will just stick with the diesel ryder. With the oscillating fan, though, will i want to leave the closet door open, to cycle in new air, or can I just leave it closed as long as I have some circulation? Also, my house has terrible insulation, so will I need to adjust the temperature in the room? Finally, ideally one of the first four will be male, and I plan on separating it and one female from the other two so i will have plenty of seeds for future use, and two unseeded females. When and how can I tell the difference between the males and females?

you could leave the fan with the door closed, as long as there isnt a heat issue, you would want to open the door frequently to get in some fresh co2.

if the temps arent in the optimum range for growth (70-80) then you may want to adjust the temp in the house. I have to keep my thermostat set to 62 just to keep my grow room at 78 degrees.

As for autos, i believe you will see preflowers at about 2-3 weeks, and from then on it will only be more apparent. g/l

Latest posts

Back