Giggys what you listening to

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a music "FAN" all my life. By that I mean that music is very important to me and not just something to have on in the background. Maybe this is an aberration ? - I really don't know. I DO feel music encapsulates ALL the important things in life in a variety of different ways.
I love technology and the things it enables us to do at an increasing rapid and complex rate. But for those relative few like myself who perhaps place unrealistic (?) importance on music I'd ask you to consider the differences in circumstances, means, abilities, etc of fellow music lovers which can enhance or limit their music "consumption" etc.
When I was in the working world I bought many, many, singles, Lp's, Cd's, Dvd's and as a seafarer I even used to take a record player, and LP's away to sea with me. In the early seventies I bought a stereo cassette player, recorded all my albums and was able to take far more music with me on my travels.
Fast forward 50 years & I'm still a huge music fan and feel very privileged to have a massive collection which is all digitized now and stored on several high capacity hard drives and - just in case - is backed up onto a bunch of blu-ray Dvd's.
It's unlikely anyone out there gives a shit, but I find it interesting that as technology evolves more and more stuff goes online and thereby becomes easier to steal - I'm concerned that it's already leading to the demise of the music industry.
As tech enables all sorts of ways of making, and faking, - music, as well as stealing it, could this ultimately mean the demise of the music industry ?
Is music becoming more of a temporary thing (via Facebook, YouTube, etc)?
Could there ever be a return to more good live music as a result ?
I'd be interested to hear any views that others might have on this

I know of a few musicians that release directly to YouTube now. I imagine this is because of the ad generated income they can produce. Also, artists are releasing to Spotify. With the number of streaming platforms available I don't think pirating or bootlegging is much of an issue anymore. Music is being released across multiple platforms both paid and ad based platforms. This makes music pretty much available to everyone for free with ads or for a monthly payment to have ads removed all while the artists continue to make money off their work. I can only envision music continuing in this direction.
Thanks for your very sensible response.
Firstly I realise I'm just an old fart now - but I have kept up with what I (personally) consider "good music" and I accept that will differ across the board.
I'd ask you to consider that, although I love tech too, I've travelled the world and lived in several different countries and as a consequence I'm very aware that there are many places where the internet is (a) just plain "not available" and (b) when it IS available, it's an unaffordable luxury for the masses.
A fairly quick check shows that roughly 50% of the world falls into this category.
Yes - it's almost a natural thing that many (maybe most?) musicians will adopt tech to get their music out there and you "pays-yer-money-and-makes-yer-choice".
And - I probably have a warped perspective anyway but also wonder how things might go if we arrive at a point where the-powers-that-be decide to shutdown the internet either selectively, or completely.?
I hasten to add - I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories ☺️

I've been a music "FAN" all my life. By that I mean that music is very important to me and not just something to have on in the background. Maybe this is an aberration ? - I really don't know. I DO feel music encapsulates ALL the important things in life in a variety of different ways.
I love technology and the things it enables us to do at an increasing rapid and complex rate. But for those relative few like myself who perhaps place unrealistic (?) importance on music I'd ask you to consider the differences in circumstances, means, abilities, etc of fellow music lovers which can enhance or limit their music "consumption" etc.
When I was in the working world I bought many, many, singles, Lp's, Cd's, Dvd's and as a seafarer I even used to take a record player, and LP's away to sea with me. In the early seventies I bought a stereo cassette player, recorded all my albums and was able to take far more music with me on my travels.
Fast forward 50 years & I'm still a huge music fan and feel very privileged to have a massive collection which is all digitized now and stored on several high capacity hard drives and - just in case - is backed up onto a bunch of blu-ray Dvd's.
It's unlikely anyone out there gives a shit, but I find it interesting that as technology evolves more and more stuff goes online and thereby becomes easier to steal - I'm concerned that it's already leading to the demise of the music industry.
As tech enables all sorts of ways of making, and faking, - music, as well as stealing it, could this ultimately mean the demise of the music industry ?
Is music becoming more of a temporary thing (via Facebook, YouTube, etc)?
Could there ever be a return to more good live music as a result ?
I'd be interested to hear any views that others might have on this
What you said is so very true. I do miss going to tower records or Moby disc and purchasing a good vinyl and best of all having a real conversation about music with employee
There are talented musicians today. However nothing like real music back then and hanging out with genuine peeps

What you said is so very true. I do miss going to tower records or Moby disc and purchasing a good vinyl and best of all having a real conversation about music with employee
There are talented musicians today. However nothing like real music back then and hanging out with genuine peeps
Agree one hundred percent - but maybe my brain is bent by being an old fucker.
I'm gratified that I have a son (firefighter for Montecito) in CA and he plays and listens to a lot of stuff he heard at home in his early teens.
even better he plays this stuff for my lovely grandson who dances and bops around to Led Zep, Little Richard, deep purple, ZZ Top buddy Holly and others - I have treasured videos of him doing exactly that.

Latest posts

Back