gnats vs mites...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella420

Hippy Peace Lovin Chica
Reaction score
how can you tell the difference whether you have gnats or spidermites. I think I have a slight gnat problem (ugh MG I bet is the culprit!!!) but I want to be sure I am treating the right thing...

Picture 1 is a fungus gnat

picture 2 is a spider mite and in the spider mite picture you can see what a spider mite egg looks like

Picture 3 is a thrip

Picture 4 is white fly

Fungus gnat.jpg

mite.jpg

thrip.jpg

White-fly.jpg

I am having a hard time seeing them cus they are so small that when I get one its crushed... ewww.... LOL but I think they are gnats I am almost certain... gotta go search posts and see how to banish them ugh!!!

If they can fly, then fungus gnats are probably the culprit. The flies themselves aren't a problem, but they lay eggs in the soil which hatch into larvae, and these little buggers can munch on your roots.

Fungus gnats love damp conditions. Let your soil dry out completley.

There's a product called "Dichotomous Earth" (I think), that'll get rid of them.

Hope this helps

Gnats ~ I got 'em too. And ants. But the ants don't seem too interested in the MJ. But if they were, I'd blame it on MG soil :)
I like the sound of that, "dichotomous earth". Sounds very serious, like a good place to buid a temple to Apollo or a place where monks beat themselves... Gnat larvae gonna die tonight!

I found it at the home depot or lowes cant remember which but fairly inexpensive and well worth it!! Bye Bye gnats!! :)

Hick said:
"diatomaceous earth" .. great stuff for ANY crawling critter
ok I got it but how should it be applied?? The instructions on the bag are quite vague LOL I bought the hort grade DE and its manufactured by a brand called Safer...

add a layer about an inch thick on top of the soil and then water your plants from the bottom aka a tray until the larvae have all died.

allow the pots to dry out between waterings also as the knat larvae have to surface and as they do they eat everything in ther path including the diatomaceous earth which in turn shreds their insides similar to if you ate ground glass for every meal you had.

lol

oh and loads of sticky traps for the flying ones

pkj

Diatomaceous Earth is wonderful stuff. I recommend it for anyone who has a prob with gnats
All gone now!!!
:clap::yay:Thanks Yall!!

Can fungus gnats cause leaves to yellow? Almost mimicking an N imbalance?

HMAN said:
Can fungus gnats cause leaves to yellow? Almost mimicking an N imbalance?
The larvae feed on the plants roots. That could express itself as a defficiency above ground. yes. "IMO.

That's what I thought........I think I may have found the culprit. Time to head to Lowes. Many many thanks to all for this thread!!

parkingjoe said:
add a layer about an inch thick on top of the soil and then water your plants from the bottom aka a tray until the larvae have all died.

allow the pots to dry out between waterings also as the knat larvae have to surface and as they do they eat everything in ther path including the diatomaceous earth which in turn shreds their insides similar to if you ate ground glass for every meal you had.

lol

oh and loads of sticky traps for the flying ones

pkj

Found this at: http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html
lots more info on it.

How does it work?
To insects DE is a lethal dust with microscopic razor sharp edges. These sharp edges cut through the insect's protective covering drying it out and killing them when they are either dusted with DE or if it is applied as a wettable powder spray. If they ingest the DE it will shred their insides.

Thanks parkingjoe:D :D

be careful , i had about an inch of it on top of the soil of one of my plants. didnt think it would hurt, so i watered it in after about 2 weeks, nats are gone, but it throwed of the soil ph.

Latest posts

Back