Going Underground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJman

Reaction score
Hello all!! After a bad season of outdoor growing, I am rethinking next years plans. I'm thinking about buying a 53' storage container and converting it to a grow room. On top of that, I'm thinking about burying it. I have lots of choices to put it somewhere, and build a cabin over top of it. Has anyone read of anyone trying to do this? I'm going to have it all wired up before putting it in the ground. Any help is appreciated!

hi welcome to MP! iv seen 20 train cars bured under ground and what looks like a out house on top so you can get down in to them. it was way up in the mountains and they had to have a huge desil generator to power the whole place. But they got Busted! Be careful

sounds like a brilliant idea.It would be cool if you could make a small cement basement below the cabin, that way it would be super concealed under the basement of your new cabin.You could put a man hole cover right into the cement floor of your basement down into the grow area.If you wanted to get real into it you could have a secret elevator shaft.This is if you have that kind of money to throw around.good luck

Hello MJman ! I am really looking forward to digging out 12 x 6 gallon holes to put my plants into very soon ! But you are going one better ! Tell the contractors it's for a swimming pool and don't have the container on site while they are digging out your pool ! All the best with your venture ! Also if they ask why you want such a deep pool just tell them that you have a very tall girlfreind / wife /husband / boyfreind / companion !

I have been day dreaming for years about doing the same with a shipping container. You can build it like a bomb shelter. It will be cool due to the earth insulation. I really want to do this someday.

I've thought about this too. I've been bugging a buddy of mine that lives in a real small town. He lives in a trailer and I told him we could use the big plastic sewer pipes to build a tunnel to our grow room, which would be solar and wind powered so no lugging diesel fuel and totally off-grid.
We usually talk about this when we're smokin' and laughin our heads off, but it could be done.
Only prob with him is his neighbors-they spot mating grasshoppers at 50 meters-lol
:)

Gb

makes me clausterphobic just thinking about it. couldnt you use a bomb shelter? hehe

Never bury a shipping container with significant weight on the roof.

They are not designed to carry weight and it will end spectacularly.

Now before you get too excited about this think about how shipping containers are stacked. They are designed to take load on the corners and nowhere else.

One other issue is they're not water tight, which can be an issue underground. Easily resolved however.

Put a concrete slab for a shed or something over the top without touching the container and you'll be fine.

One other possibility is to simply place another shipping container over the top of it and bury the base. Let grass grow around the upper container and you'd never know it was there. Access via the top container.

Venting the buried container inconspicously could be challenging, but not impossible.

Why not just build a root cellar and modify it with dense insulation, electricity, and a passive venting system. The cost is'nt that high and subterfuge is simple. The ground level structure can be anything from a garden shed, dog kennel, or possibly a semi trailer that appears to be for storage.
Best of luck with your endeavor.

My word, if you are building, just have a basement poured or a root cellar built (as cubby mentioned), or an underground "safe room" or bomb shelter constructed when you build your place. There are so many problems with trying to bury a shipping container.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqStVRSt8P4
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgi0HCnCelE

hxxp://www.gainesville.com/article/20090127/NEWS/901270961/1002?Title=Underground_grow_room_held__800K_in_plants

this guy got caught growin in buried semi crgo trailers

heres teh same one as first one above but beter vid hxxp://www.clickorlando.com/video/19376399/index.html

It's one of those ideas that sounds cool but so much can go wrong if you do it the wrong way...

oh most definately hamster. totally agreed.
i too have sat and thought of somesimilar plan for years now. but i never get past the thoughts is all. kinda a stoner dream i guess.
but iactually have an addon that was put onto my house after the original house and basement were built as well as an added garage. but the side of the house that was the addon has no basement underneath it and all id really have to do is cut out a small hole in that end wall in the basement and start diggin a room out in a sense under the addition of the house.
but tehn tehres the math and science of support and weight of house and tehn takin dirt away from what would be the foundation of the house, also how deep is the foundation part of the addon of my house into the ground to where im not diggin and all a suden teh whole addon goes cavin in on me LOL.
but i do use the space betwen the ground and teh floor of the addon. tehres a cutout from garage goin into a crawl space under the addition which no basement to. and is all dirt floor..
it now sits and 2.5-3 foot from ground level to seiling in that crawl space so really all id have to dig out is bout 3 feet maybe 4 at very most.
but only thing i worry is diggin down too far too close to the concrete foundation of the addon to where it comes crashin down on me LOL>
honestly i sit and ponder on this everyday i think. only it gonna take a few buck to do it tho im sure . but if im stuck in this whle for more years to come i may consider doin this but kepin it on a small scale for sure.
its jst taht im thinkin it'd be very cool temps wise especially in winter momnths. i'd rather worry bout keepin it warm rater than worryin on keepin it cool like in y indoor room .
wow im stoned again an dreamin cat ya tell :)

"also how deep is the foundation part of the addon of my house into the ground to where im not diggin and all a suden teh whole addon goes cavin in on me LOL."

Typically the foundation goes down below the frost line, where I live it is 4-5ft, the foundation sits on a footing that will be approx a foot thick and twice as wide as the foundation.

one way, to really do this safely would be to pour a pad with proper drainage pipes and either form up walls or use cinder blocks for walls.Then you could pour another pad as a ceiling for the room, which on top would be the floor to your basement.Then you would make another foundation for your structure.All this would have to be done before a structure was ever put in place above ground.

All of this would take a hell of a lot of time and money, and would most likely require a list of different people that you would need services from throughout the project, putting your stealth in jeopardy.Unless you were talented enough to do every task yourself.

At this point it would probably be cheaper to move to a MJ friendly state.

oh hek im not talkn a large scale growroom .
im just talkin diggin out liek a small 5x5 room is all and maybe throwin ina 600 and my 400 or get a 1000 watter idk.
but it is wishful thinkin still tho. and you said it.. alot of work time an money still.

when you said bad season was it the elements or worrying about peepers? if its just the elemnts buy a shed and use that. If it is peepers are you able to grow inside your home? the other day I saw a HUGE dog igloo designed for those 200 pound dogs and I thought,.,someone grows in that somewhere. HAHA

I saw a HUGE dog igloo designed for those 200 pound dogs and I thought,.,someone grows in that somewhere. HAHA
:aok: :rofl:

Hello EVERYone! :ciao:

What if you go to that HUGE plot in the desert where they send jumbo jets to die and get a 747 and bury it somewhere in the desert sand for a HUGE grow op? :holysheep:

It seems about every month or so we get one of these posts... My, don't we all have an active IMAGINATION? :p What a bunch of stoners... lol... We're just like fish after the chum in the water... Some dude makes ONE post about some outlandish idea for the 'ultimate grow room' or the 'clandestine grop op' and he's never to be heard from again... Although it's only been one day, let's see if this one post wonder makes it back to MP... :confused2:

:rofl:

SpongeBob_Imagination.jpg

Some dude makes ONE post about some outlandish idea for the 'ultimate grow room' or the 'clandestine grop op' and he's never to be heard from again...
im always dreamin DOS LOL but wether i post bout it or not i still stick round :)
but i know wat ya sayin tho . lol

Latest posts

Back