Gone Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hooking a 20 lb striper in swift water is a lot of fun
I've seen videos, and yeah - it looks like it!
Went Salmon fishing in the U.P. once, but it was opening day and elbow to elbow fishermen. Never even got a hit...but then I had to pull my line in every time someone else got a fish so's nobody got tangled up. :rolleyes:

I've seen videos, and yeah - it looks like it!
Went Salmon fishing in the U.P. once, but it was opening day and elbow to elbow fishermen. Never even got a hit...but then I had to pull my line in every time someone else got a fish so's nobody got tangled up. :rolleyes:

those lined up lines of people fishing is something I try to avoid

but yeah , there are some rules to follow , common courtesy goes a long way when it is wall to wall ..🤪🤪🤪

View attachment 341847
I have several friends with boats, the hard part is figuring out which one of them you want to be trapped on a boat with for several hours, lol.
Know that feeling my brother had a boat. We loved until he turned into a drunk. Then not so much. Last time we all went together, he almost capsized the boat with our kids on it. Afterward we never got on a boat with him again.

those lined up lines of people fishing is something I try to avoid

but yeah , there are some rules to follow , common courtesy goes a long way when it is wall to wall ..🤪🤪🤪
Yeah, that was a one and done for me. I don't mind being courteous, but crowding is a whole 'nother issue.
We had a non-repeatable term for knuckleheaded folks who'd come up right next to you when they see you catching fish. They'll do it on land or on the water, too. No common courtesy whatsoever. I hated 'em.

Yeah, that was a one and done for me. I don't mind being courteous, but crowding is a whole 'nother issue.
We had a non-repeatable term for knuckleheaded folks who'd come up right next to you when they see you catching fish. They'll do it on land or on the water, too. No common courtesy whatsoever. I hated 'em.

I heard that…

one time I was fishing in South Caroline just north of Charleston on a medium lake called Goose Creek

it had a 20-30’ foot earthen dam about a mile across and on the other side of the dam was brackish water that flowed into the ocean

after a bunch of rain , there was a spillway for the overflow and a lot of fish went over the spillway and into the brackish water

once they hit the brackish water they go nutz and they can be caught as fast as ya throw a line in

i am talking 1-2 pound perch caught on a cane pole using live crickets

it was a blast for about 20 minutes when two big old black women saw me pulling them in left and right and I will be damned if they didn’t come over right next to me and started fishing in the same whirlpool that I was !

I had a pretty good stringer already so I said feck it and went home

Lol, we didn’t go that far, but I thought about it.
Quanah Parker, at 60+ years of age, was doing Wild West shows for people where he'd run down a bison (bareback, on a horse), kill it with his bow and arrow, and cut out the liver to eat it raw for the crowd. True story.
If you want good insight into the Comanche Nation, I'd recommend "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne.
They were still a Stone Age People in the early 1800's Southwest America, according to the book. Fascinating read.

I heard that…

one time I was fishing in South Caroline just north of Charleston on a medium lake called Goose Creek

it had a 20-30’ foot earthen dam about a mile across and on the other side of the dam was brackish water that flowed into the ocean

after a bunch of rain , there was a spillway for the overflow and a lot of fish went over the spillway and into the brackish water

once they hit the brackish water they go nutz and they can be caught as fast as ya throw a line in

i am talking 1-2 pound perch caught on a cane pole using live crickets

it was a blast for about 20 minutes when two big old black women saw me pulling them in left and right and I will be damned if they didn’t come over right next to me and started fishing in the same whirlpool that I was !

I had a pretty good stringer already so I said feck it and went home
"i am talking 1-2 pound perch caught on a cane pole using live crickets"

I still have a couple cane poles! Ought to rig them up. They were fun!

I used a 13 foot fiberglass rod and a open faced Mitchell Garcia surf reel and 20# test line

live shad for bait and a one ounce lead weight
Depends on where and when. But below the dam, shad are hard to beat. This time of year around my parts, the young of the year shad are back at the dams getting chewed on by everything... Few more weeks of glory left before October gets here and the lakes turn over.

Anywho...I pour my own jigs, and they work very well in those below dam situations.. They call em rockfish for a reason😁...I like bumping the bottom with a 1 or 2 ounce jig depending on the flow. For me, I like having a direct connection (feel) to the lure and the bottom...less hangups and missed fish than if you drift shad...but you lose jigs as well. Always a trade off.

Depends on where and when. But below the dam, shad are hard to beat. This time of year around my parts, the young of the year shad are back at the dams getting chewed on by everything... Few more weeks of glory left before October gets here and the lakes turn over.

Anywho...I pour my own jigs, and they work very well in those below dam situations.. They call em rockfish for a reason😁...I like bumping the bottom with a 1 or 2 ounce jig depending on the flow. For me, I like having a direct connection (feel) to the lure and the bottom...less hangups and missed fish than if you drift shad...but you lose jigs as well. Always a trade off.

yep yep , lots of ways to catch fish and they are all fun to me!

I’ve seen striper fishermen below the dam and they were using a sparkplug for their weight!…pretty ingenious , used plugs

ut yeah , i carry a couple 5-6 foot real stiff rods with 2-3 treble hooks on them and use those for snagging shad cfor bait…below the dam , the shad seem to congregate close to the shore so it was real easy to snag them

love bouncing the weight off the bottom with the shad about a foot above the weight and drift with the current

fish on!

Latest posts

Back