Grow Faster!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenThumbBlackFinger

Reaction score
So my plants are 2 months old and compared to the grow journals on here, they're shrimpy. They all look healthy but seem like theyre growing slow. They are about 7 inches tall and starting to grow their 2nd and 3rd sets of 5 finger leaves. They look kind of scraggly but theyre bushing out a little more. They are very healthy, strong stems, no yellowing on leaves whatsoever, but I suspet they are growing slow because of my light situation. I have 6 of them under 2 1750 lumen CFLs and a 5000 lumen fluorescent ring light (its a work light?). I'm waiting on payday but I'm not sure what kind of lights to add. Should I get another 5000 lumen or more CFLs? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Don't even worry about how your look compared to the ones you see in journals, keep reading and growing and before long people will be asking you how you did it..

As for adding lights it really depends on your grow space and how much you wanna spend. If you can afford an HPS get one. If you cant i would use cfls. They'll do the job just not like an HPS. Go to the lighting section and do some reading lots of good info on lights.

Wassup greenthumb,
I think you are right on assuming that you dont have enough light, or lumens that is. If i were you i would try to buy at least a 250watt h.p.s, i know that fluorescent's are great for starting your seeds out and even veg but i wouldnt want to flower with them. If you can for now add some more fluorescent's untill you can afford a M.H or H.P.S, keep us posted and good luck man, remember you want at least 40 to 50 watts per square foot. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Peace and Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roken.

if you've never grow before i suggest you read alot more about grow your design and lights before you rush out and buy a HPS or a MH. thats alot of heat to try to deal with while learning to grow a healthy plant.. we don't know what your setup is so its hard to say what lights you would be better off working with.

i use cfls because my space is small and and theres not as much heat to deal with and i still get alot of good light, good luck

so since i made this post about them a growing slow i made a better lighting situation. a while back i had a question about yellowing leaves but here they are now. maybe i should move this to a grow journal :hubba:

IMG_1458.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

As a rule of thumb, shed 2500 to 5000 lumens of light per square feet (300 square centimeters). If you will continue using CFLs and Right Fluorescents, keep them close to the plants.

And yes, do not compare your plants with others', compare your plants to your previous experiences, use pen and paper (or notepad, grow journals etc...), keep a log of your progress. You'll do just fine.

Cornellius said:
As a rule of thumb, shed 1000 to 3000 lumens of light per square feet (300 square centimeters). If you will continue using CFLs and Right Fluorescents, keep them close to the plants.

And yes, do not compare your plants with others', compare your plants to your previous experiences, use pen and paper (or notepad, grow journals etc...), keep a log of your progress. You'll do just fine.

Thats some good advice for once around hear. Taking notes will help you out in the future.

Cornellius said:
As a rule of thumb, shed 1000 to 3000 lumens of light per square feet (300 square centimeters). If you will continue using CFLs and Right Fluorescents, keep them close to the plants.
3000(minimum)-5000 lumens are the "recommended" rule of thumb ...
1000 lumens will only serve to promote stretching, poor photosynthesis, and slow growth.

Hick said:
3000(minimum)-5000 lumens are the "recommended" rule of thumb ...
1000 lumens will only serve to promote stretching, poor photosynthesis, and slow growth.

I am terribly sorry then, my mistake recalling numbers wrongly... Bible says more or less the same, 2500 to 5000. Thanks for correcting me, I might have made some terrible calculation for my own grow as well.

when do i want to switch them to 12/12? this is my first grow and i have no clue how much bigger theyre going to get when they start flowering. and im worried i'll either end up running out of space or i'll start too early and they wont be able to support colas. what do you guys think?

GreenThumbBlackFinger said:
when do i want to switch them to 12/12? this is my first grow and i have no clue how much bigger theyre going to get when they start flowering. and im worried i'll either end up running out of space or i'll start too early and they wont be able to support colas. what do you guys think?

They will grow 2-3 times there current size, very easy for new growers to overgrow there plants.

Plants look great by the way!!!

If i switch them to 12/12 in a week do you think they could handle it? Im worried they wont be able to support my big beautiful delicious tasty buds. :)

Lookin good man, nice and green and healthy looking! Keep us posted and keep up the good work man! Peace and Love!!!!!!
Roken.

Latest posts

Back