Harsh smoke?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craterlake

Reaction score
Hi folks! How's everyone doin? Since there are so many smart folks here, I have a couple of questions for you! Some of my cured White Widow is rather harsh smoking. I have used a water pipe and also mixed it with some other smoke, but it is still making me cough too much!!:confused: Any ideas? Next question, can smoking pot cause dementia or exascerbate it if you are prone to having it? My Mother & Grandmother had it and I don't, at this time anyways, but was wondering if anyone had heard of any studies pertaining to Alzeimers and pot usage. I sure wouldn't want to hurry that along if it's in my future!!:rolleyes:
Thanks for your help!!

I read on a medical site a week or so ago that weed slows the progression of Alzeimers. People have said the white strains are kind of harsh anyways. I don't believe weed causes dementia as it stimulates brain cells' activity, but theres different kinds of dementia (ex: vascular dementia).

There would be more studies that claim people would have dementia if pot led to it from the medicinal states. Why I think my grandmother got (vascular)dementia is she was always stressed out and smoked cigs like a coal train.

If your smoke is harsh tasting then you probably dried and cured it too fast. I have found that if you dry your bud for 7-14(depending on amount drying) days in a dark space that is cool and controlled air flow(no air blowing but cycling out humid air for fresh air 1 time per hour), It will dry enough without overdrying to allow you to go to curing. To properly cure, you need to move the material to a more enclosed and controlled space(I like using the wide mouth quart mason jars). Then after 18-24hrs open jars and feel material. If it is very moist then dump it out on an open table of something to contain it from going everywhere. Allow it to air for 20min then rejar it and put it back in dark cool place for another 12hrs. Open the jars again and feel the material, if it is soft but not moist then wave jar to air it some and close it back. Do this every 12 hours for 5 days, then do it every 24hrs for 10 days. After that point it should be cured well enough to smoke pretty cleanly, but you can continue to air it every 24hrs for another 5-7 days if it isn't as dry as you want it, or if you want to really get a good cure you go to airing the jars every 48hrs for another 15 days.

The key to smooth(nonharsh smoke) is slowly removing the moisture from the buds while removing it fast enough to prevent mildew or rot. This allows the chlorophyll to break down in the green material which is the cause of harsh smoke.

The only thing you can do for the bud that you have now is get a vaporizer to smoke it in, or turn it into oil. I hope this helps :)

Yeah either get a vape or invest in a water bong with a twisted ice catcher neck. I put cold water in my bong and 2-3 ice cubes in the neck and even harsh smoke gets the edge knocked off it. Jmo

craterlake, here's some info regarding marijuana and alzheimer's (I think you'll find it a positive thing :)

Marijuana's Key Ingredient May Fight Alzheimer's Disease
url: hMPp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,218042,00.html

The active ingredient of marijuana could be considerably better at suppressing the abnormal clumping of malformed proteins that is a hallmark of Alzheimer's disease than any currently approved prescription drugs.

Scientists report the finding in the Oct. 2 issue of the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

About 4.5 million Americans suffer from Alzheimer's disease, which gradually destroys memory. As more people survive into old age, cases of Alzheimer’s disease are expected to triple over the next 50 years. There is no known cure.

• Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Human Body Center.

The researchers looked at THC, the compound inside marijuana responsible for its action on the brain.

Computer models suggested THC might inhibit an enzyme with the tongue-twisting name of acetylcholinesterase (also called AChE) that is linked to Alzheimer's.

AChE is known to help accelerate the formation of abnormal protein clumps in the brain, known as amyloid plaques, during Alzheimer's.

This enzyme also helps break down the brain chemical acetylcholine, which is linked to memory and learning. Acetylcholine levels are reduced during Alzheimer's.

In lab experiments, the scientists found THC was significantly better at disrupting the abnormal clumping of malformed proteins.

THC could completely prevent AChE from forming amyloid plaques, while two drugs approved for use against Alzheimer's, donepezil and tacrine, reduced clumping by only 22 and 7 percent, respectively, at twice the concentration of THC used in the tests.

"We're not advocating smoking dope, but if we can make analogues of THC, it could play a role in treating Alzheimer's," researcher Kim Janda, a chemist at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, Calif., told LiveScience. "It would be nice to do more animal studies along these lines."

Past research on human brain tissues and experiments with rats have suggested that synthetic analogues of THC can reduce the inflammation and prevent the mental decline associated with Alzheimer's disease.

However, marijuana is not necessarily good for the mind.

Prior investigations have shown that years of heavy marijuana use, consisting of four or more joints a week, can impair memory, decision-making and the ability to pay attention to more than one thing at a time

:yeahthat: Thats where I read it too I just couldn't find it again to save my life! And on top of the ice in the bong if you can find one with a perculator or even an ashcatcher(to perc the water) helps with harshness; a mix of the both is AMAZING.

Thanks to all for your responses! I actually 'burped' my quart jars for over a couple months, but that particular kind I think i must have dried too fast like one of you commented on. I use a little water bubbler, but it's really small, not much room for ice I'm afraid. I better upgrade to a bigger one!! I Googled dementia and mj use also and came up with some promising info too. On the news this morning they sited a study that says that teens smoking show a decrease in IQ later in life as opposed to being an adult when you started. Who knows!! I like it!!
Thanks again for you info, I will check it out!

I do not grow white strains because I find them harsh, regardless of how they are dried and cured.

grew some afghan widow a few yrs back and it had a bitey edge to it. Kinda harsh yeah....

The Hemp Goddess said:
I do not grow white strains because I find them harsh, regardless of how they are dried and cured.

I think I still have a seed or two of white widow. I have grown it twice now, with the same effect,so no more!! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back