Heat of a 600 watt cooltube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I have some duct tape on the edge of my 600 watt cooltube.. I am setting up a floweing area and am wondering if duct tape on the metal end of the cool tube will heat up and cook? There is a 45 degree elbow attached to the cooltube and duct taped it. I have had it on about 5 mins to see but I know these things probobly get hotter after some time. Thanks Hero

if your cooltube ends get that hot its not working, i can touch the glass right at my bulb.

No that was my question dman. Do they get any hotter after a few mins.. I know it take a while before it is fully lit but I want to use duct tape on one end.. Where the metal..I think aluminum it is. to attach so to speak and was concerned about the duct tape melting but if you say it doesnt get that hot and u can touch ur cool tube.. I beleive u.. Thanks u answered my question

You shld be good to go hero....like dman I can touch the glass and not get burnt....

hero4u2b said:
No that was my question dman. Do they get any hotter after a few mins.. I know it take a while before it is fully lit but I want to use duct tape on one end.. Where the metal..I think aluminum it is. to attach so to speak and was concerned about the duct tape melting but if you say it doesnt get that hot and u can touch ur cool tube.. I beleive u.. Thanks u answered my question

Mine has been on for 2 weeks and i can still touch the glass at the bulb,

keep your eye on it anyway, i wouldnt want to be the guy that told you its ok and then you have an issue, but imo your way fine.

I decided to change it up. lol I am not happy with the way it looks and now am in search of flex duct with no insulation but is a bit thicker than the stuff inside insulated duct.. I took off the R-6 and the plastic is really thin and would fold under pressure so to speak.. a sucking fan I am sure might close it up.. HTG has what I need but I would love to find it local. Thanks Hero

The guys are right Hero, so long as you have good airflow across the bulb, heat should be a non-issue. I am constantly handling my lights(hoods) and while they get warm, they are never hot. Just make sure your flex hose is good so not to collapse. I buy mine from Lowes and have no probs with it.

Cool Husshpuppy you buy R-6 insulated flex? with the pink insulation inside? just wondering how u all do it.. Personally I dont like that stuff. shoving it inside and clamping or duct taping the joints together.. I am taking a break after 2 days didnt do anything today.. trying to figure out if I can find flex. without the insulation but at the same time is sturdy enough to handle the air presure with out crimping up.. Thanks Hero

Latest posts

Back