heat question got a new light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8t0thetop

Reaction score
hXXp://www.indoorgardens.fr/catalog/images/minihydrostarm.jpg So I got this light 400 watt HPS my question is since im going to be using a homebox S will it be too hot if I only have air being pushed in the tube and the other end open since my other port I will need to my carbon filter, later I will install more ports but will this work? (cm):80 x 80 x 160 (inch):31 1/2 x 31 1/2 x 63 is the size of the tent

also how powerful of a fan should I be looking for ? Ø 120mm - 150 M³/H is that not powerful enough?

I am not sure if I understand you right, but you will not want to exhaust the air from your light into your grow space. The hot air absolutely must be pumped out of your tent. You are not going to need a carbon filter until you are into flowering--and then you might not even need it. Some strains put out very little smell. You are going to need more than 1 fan.

I think Hemp Goddess is right, you'll need another fan if you want to efficiently use your air cooled hood.

(inch):31 1/2 x 31 1/2 x 63 is the size of the tent. Also how powerful of a fan should I be looking for ?
For a space a bit bigger than that, I've successfully used a 4 inch Vortex inline centrifugal fan (with a home made carbon filter) to cool my tents' 432 watts of T5 Fluorescents (which puts out more heat than your light). I was living in a cold environment though, so you may need to use your air cooled hood.

If you do air cool your hood, I recommend getting it an inline fan (but not centrifugal). They're less expensive, and the hood just doesn't need the power the centrifugal offers.

Oh, and fans are much more efficient at 'pulling' air, as opposed to 'pushing'.

You are not going to need a carbon filter until you are into flowering--and then you might not even need it.
I'm not discounting what you're saying, but in my experience with the Skunk strains I've grown, I needed a carbon filter within the first month. Know that in my situation, any smell whatsoever was unacceptable.

Goodluck :)

ok so Im just going to install 2 additional ports on my homebox for the tube so will it be good if i have one side open and the other side pulling the hot air out?

I also have a 400w in a Homebox S

I have an S&P 6" fan for exhaust (Carbon filter > fan > cool tube > outside of tent) and an S&P 4" fan for intake (through the port on the bottom left).

str8t0thetop said:
ok so Im just going to install 2 additional ports on my homebox for the tube so will it be good if i have one side open and the other side pulling the hot air out?

Do you know how to install ports on a homebox?
I cant think of any other way other than the hydrohut dual flanges, but that's pretty ghetto, and I imagine it'd weaken the tent considerably.

Haha, Wow, I've been on their website dozens of times and have never found that. Even when I was looking for it.

yeh they hard to find shops that gotem tho alot of shops in germany carry them th o

toothbrush? said:
I also have a 400w in a Homebox S

I have an S&P 6" fan for exhaust (Carbon filter > fan > cool tube > outside of tent) and an S&P 4" fan for intake (through the port on the bottom left).

You want to run it like this (carbon filter > cool tube > fan > outside) You always want to pull air not push.

yeh they hard to find shops that gotem tho alot of shops in germany carry them tho

Sorry to jump in, but ive got the same issue.

Heat hasnt been a problem yet, but I havent put up mylar and enclosed my closet yet. Im having a really hard time finding an inline fan though. The ones they sell at the hydro store are over 100 bucks a peice, and I believe they are inline centrifugal types.

Ive seen cheap inline exhaust fans online for ducting, any suggestions as to where to look?

I would recommend pulling air from outside your tent to cool your light and exhausting that air to the outside. This way it cools far more effectively and you do not need a filter on your light cooling equipment.

Then have a separate fan with a carbon filter (if you need it) to cool the air inside the tent.

I have a charcoal filter inside my room with an inline fan pulling air through the filter to the fan then pushing it over my light and outside the room with a seprate Intake duct from outside the room that is hepa filtered. All this is run through 6" dryer ducting. I have a super juiced inline fan though that can clear the air in my room in a matter of minutes and replace it with cooler air from the basement.

BuddyLuv said:
You want to run it like this (carbon filter > cool tube > fan > outside) You always want to pull air not push.

That's how I had it set up originally. The cool tube isn't enough to cause resistance of any kind. This fits my tent better and lowered the temp by 2*. Now my temps have increased.. probably time to change out my carbon filter.

BuddyLuv said:

Could you elabirate on why you say this? I have read a lot and seen people endorse both ways. I just dont want to constantly be blowing hot air from my light over my fan motor.

If you have a good fan it should have a high intake temp field. My buddy is a foreman for a commercial heating and air conditioning company, and he says you create more resistance blowing into something then pulling the air through. Also if you want to make your system even more efficient then you want to use the bare minimum of the flexible duct and use as much hard pipe as possible. He did a flow check for me using hard duct vs. flex duct and my 737 cfm had an almost 5% pressure drop using flex vs. hard. That is almost 35 cfm's.

Good to know! Thatd definetly be worth the little cost/hassel it would take to get hard pipe.

Latest posts

Back