Heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyspy2

Reaction score
I am almost ready for my first grow. I got my light yesterday an installed in my closet.(42x21x71) my basement temp is about 62 degrees. I have a thermometer that can give me the temp at two locations in my closet. with my light on for about twenty minutes(holly cow is that thing bright!) and the light lowered to about two feet(which is about where I think it will start) the upper tem was 82 and the lower tem was 109!! My first thought is I need a bigger exhaust fan, I thought the one I have was 100cfm, turns out it is only 50cfm. My exhaust is in the upper right, and my intake is in the lower left. Should my intake have a fan in it, or is just an open vent ok. I also put mylar on the floor, If I remove this will this help. My light is a 400w HPS/MH and unfortunately is not able to have the venting run throught it. I also did this test with only the exhaust fan running an no interior fan. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Man 109 degrees!!!?? That's hot enough to flip em into hermaphrodites! Can ya fit an a/c in there somehow? Ducting?

Hello Keyspy2 :)

Your Square foot area is 6.125.

Recommended Lumens per foot is 5,000.

With your 400w you have just under 9,000 per foot.

You could build onto your cabinet and make it larger and still have enough Lumens ;)

You need more air movement, the more air you remove, the more heat you remove :)

Using an intake fan would help the out take fan to move air easier.

The out take air needs to be removed from your room or all your doing is heating the air in the room and the intake fan pushes warm air into the cabinet.

Can you exhaust the hot air out of your basement?

:peace:

yes, I have it vented through a dryer duct. so I will get a bigger exhastfan and ad a computer fan or somthing to the intake and hope this cools everything down, I will try another test run when I get the parts in a couple of days, thanks for th reply

I don't think it would help your over all temp, but you do know you'll need an oscillator to strengthen your stems? At least it would give you an ambient temp of 95.5--109 + 82 = 191, divide by 2=95.5. You should try to utilize that 62 degree stuff in your basement.
Good luck--I live in the south and heat is my biggest challenge.

well tonight was science night.... I put in an oscillating fan which droped the temp about 10 degrees and moved it around and took one side of my reflector off which dropped it a couple of degrees more. I think if a get a better outake fan I wil be okay. what was weird/ amazing to me was I took the thermometer probe off of the floor, and moved it up about two inches and the temp propped about 5-6 degrees more. at 2" off the floor my temp was 90 degrees. I know I am obsessing about this but I want to get it right. My motto is The more you know, The better the grow. I am doing this because my wife loves to smoke(I haven't in ten years) and and I love her more than anything. thanks to all that posted.

I have a 400w hps in a 2 x 2.5 space, total 5 sq ft with 10,000 lumens a sq ft.. I have no heat problems... I use a 170 cfm fan that is vented to the attic and I have a window unit a/c, it keeps my room temp at 73 degrees... With 65 degree room temps you should have no problem with heat, so to answer your question yes you need a bigger exhaust fan, I would add an intake fan also my space go warm before I added one...

And get the mylar off the floor, the undersides of plants dont absorb light... it isnt needed...

Latest posts

Back