height question (lights)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsix7one

Reaction score
anybody know the height in inches u should hang the lights from the top of the plants that would give overall performance without wilting the plant...i got a 400 watt mh/hps conversion light over 11 plants in a 4x4 sq ft area, and the walls are surrounded by mylar

the best way to decide your light distance is to use the back of your hand. if its to hot for your hand its to hot for the plants. hope this helps

400 watt? that easy..

18 inch up actually 12 to 18 inch from the plants... like slowmo77 said.. test it with your arm stick under the light see if you feel really hot..add little more further from the plant.. you gotta to feel them like you want sun... be plant.. and feel the sun....use sunglasses too.. iIt hurts when you are under the hood and try to feel like you are a plant and want some sun..

again... 12 to 18 inch.. that should help ya... we used 1000 watt from 12 to 18 inch.. done it pretty good job.. just paid the bills.. there we go..

Dsix7one said:
anybody know the height in inches u should hang the lights from the top of the plants that would give overall performance without wilting the plant...i got a 400 watt mh/hps conversion light over 11 plants in a 4x4 sq ft area, and the walls are surrounded by mylar
I run the same setup... 12 inches minimum from bulb to top;) the conversion bulbs burn pretty cool.. now if you have an inclosed/vented hood you could probably get it a bit closer..

i have nearly the identical area and light.i run mine about 2-4 inches from the tips of the plants.i have my reflector vented and you can lay your hand on the glass and its not even warm.works for me.

yes 2 @ 400 inclosed here..and inches away from glass..nice tight nodes..good luck and use the back of your hand..to hot for you to hot for plaNT OKAY keep m green

papabeach1 said:
400 watt? that easy..

18 inch up actually 12 to 18 inch from the plants... like slowmo77 said.. test it with your arm stick under the light see if you feel really hot..add little more further from the plant.. you gotta to feel them like you want sun... be plant.. and feel the sun....use sunglasses too.. iIt hurts when you are under the hood and try to feel like you are a plant and want some sun..

again... 12 to 18 inch.. that should help ya... we used 1000 watt from 12 to 18 inch.. done it pretty good job.. just paid the bills.. there we go..

Why would you recommend the same height for a 400 as you used for a 1000?

Use the hand trick. It all depends on your ventilation and hood setup.

Latest posts

Back